SUGGESTION: A Way to Improve Internet Syncing

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 21 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1129
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 2 2009 6:50 AM

I have found that L4’s automatic syncing to the internet a big drain to my system performance and consequently to my user experience. I have taken the advice of others and turned “Use Internet” off, but this is less than an idea solution, because if fail to remember to manually sync before I close Logos my three computers will get out of sync. Here is my suggestion:

Have three options for internet syncing:

1) Auto syncing (this is the current default)

2) Syncing when the program starts and closes

3) Manual syncing

I of course would choose #2, I can live with slower start ups and shut down for the convenience of keeping my three computers in sync, but I would not have to suffer the slowdowns as I type notes, prioritize and make other changes.

Posts 188
Kevin Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 6:55 AM

May I ask what your computer specs are P. Keith?

Logos 5, Windows & Android perfect together....

Posts 10737
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 7:20 AM

I believe that is a very reasonable suggestion. I also would choose option # 2

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 7:35 AM

P. Keith Larson:

3) Manual syncing

I would add a fourth:

4) Sync every ___ minutes. I have WordPerfect set to create automated backups this way (in case of program or system crash), and my email to check new email this way. I suspect some would expect this function to work this way. Syncing continuously seems a bit much.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 1129
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 7:44 AM

KevinTaylor:

May I ask what your computer specs are P. Keith?

Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H Motherboard (Rev. 1.0)—AMD 780G + SB700 Chipset

AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core Processor 2.30 GHz—Window experience index of 6.9

4.00 GB DDR2 800 memory—Window experience index of 5.9

Black Edition 700GB WD HDD (has two 32MB caches)—Window experience index of 5.9

I am running this system using ATI Hybrid CrossFireX thus utilizing the onboard ATI HD 3200 and a ATI HD 3400 series card. ATI’s claims about Hybrid CrossFireX are a little inflated IMO and I wish I had not purchased the HD 3400 for $30 and instead spent more and purchased a HD 3800 series or better card for $75. My windows video experience index is 4.2 using the Hybrid CrossFireX, when I place my home HD3800 series card in this system the video experience index goes up to 7.0. As I posted last evening, better video cards make a discernable improvement in L4’s performance.

So as you can see this is not a hardware issue, but my slow internet connection. It is only at 3Mps and a lot of people in town complain about lag and others issues. This is the reason my initial download took 30 hours. By limiting L4’s connection to the internet I can prevent L4 from basically grinding to a stop as I am making lots of changes that the program is trying to sync.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 8:01 AM

I agree! The option for a periodic indexing (whether at start/close or a user-defined interval) would be great. It would probably save Logos on bandwidth too.

Posts 3690
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 8:25 AM

P. Keith Larson:

3) Manual syncing

Yes

+1

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 2758
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 9:10 AM

Bill Stonebraker:

P. Keith Larson:

3) Manual syncing

Yes

+1

me too

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 12:25 PM

I would like a return to the manual syncing option which was available during Beta testing. During the Beta, we could type "set sync to off" and we maintained full internnet capabilities except for syncing. A simple "sync now" command then allowed syncing to occur.

Syncing uses too much data for an Australian to leave the internet connected.

Posts 25739
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 1:59 PM

I'm OK for having Options:-

1. Manual

2. Background syncing at start but NO syncing at close, because I don't want to have a long/delayed close or OS shut down!

3. Auto

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1129
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 3:11 PM

Dave,

If you don't have syncing at close any changes you made will not be passed on to your other computers and they will not be in sync.

Posts 25739
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 3:41 PM

P. Keith Larson:

Dave,

If you don't have syncing at close any changes you made will not be passed on to your other computers and they will not be in sync.

The reason for also having a manual option is that I can sync whenever I want, irrespective of the other options eg. you can Sync Now with the default Auto Sync! 

You wouldn't want a sync at close because the delay will become annoying! In practice I would prefer Auto Sync with commands to Stop Sync and Sync Now.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 710
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 6:56 PM

P. Keith Larson:

3) Manual syncing

Yes

+1

Posts 43
Steve Burrow | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 8:24 PM

Richard DeRuiter:

P. Keith Larson:

3) Manual syncing

I would add a fourth:

4) Sync every ___ minutes. I have WordPerfect set to create automated backups this way (in case of program or system crash), and my email to check new email this way. I suspect some would expect this function to work this way. Syncing continuously seems a bit much.

+1 for all 4 options

Posts 726
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 9:30 PM

+1 for the 4 options Yes

Posts 2966
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 9:55 PM

A very good request. I would personally leave it as it is now, but I understand the desire to slow it down. 

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 2758
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 7:28 AM

Jacob Hantla:

A very good request. I would personally leave it as it is now, but I understand the desire to slow it down. 

Jacob, that is likely because you are not seeing the significant speed issues that some of us are/were.  If you had, I think you would agree this would be a great improvement short of just making it faster so this is not necessary.

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 8:32 AM

The only problem is the moment you have two or more computers that have changed since last syncing with the server; the sync will break and you'll end up with un-synced versioning... This problem is prevented by syncing instantaneously whenever changes are made.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 8:38 AM

Jon Rumble:

The only problem is the moment you have two or more computers that have changed since last syncing with the server; the sync will break and you'll end up with un-synced versioning... This problem is prevented by syncing instantaneously whenever changes are made.

But, if you have only one person using the program (EULA), then, unless you can use L4 on two computers simultaneously, you only need to sync at open and close for the computers to sync with each other.

To keep the version current, you should only need to sync on open, or 1ce/day.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 8:46 AM

That is true Richard, if you closed the program every time you left your computer that would work fine also; you'd just have to remember to do it Smile

(I do 'use' L4 simultaneously on 2 computers in the sense that it remains running permanently on my desktop and when I'm away from my desk I use my laptop, maybe I'm an atypical user...)

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS