REVELATION TIMELINE

Page 1 of 2 (36 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 35 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 7
Carol Sue Bisig | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 13 2012 10:20 AM

I AM TRYING TO LOCATE A TIMELINE FOR THE BOOK OF REVELATION SHOWING THE CONNECTION BETWEEN THE OPENING OF THE SEALS, THEN THE OPENING OF THE SEVEN TRUMPETS IN CONNECTION TO THE SEVEN BOWLS OF WRATH. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANYONE'S SUGGESTIONS?

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2012 10:22 AM

MIGHT I SUGGEST IN ALL HUMILITY AND AS A BROTHER IN CHRIST THAT YOU FIRST FIND THE CAPSLOCK KEY.

all caps is hard on the eyes, and in internet culture is akin to yelling. I'm sure you weren't yelling at us as your first post (intentionally). Any how, welcome!

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 7
Carol Sue Bisig | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2012 10:50 AM

I am truly sorry if my all caps caused you any hurt feelings. As a 'sister-CHRIST,' I would never knowingly do anything rude. I am afraid I am not on top of internet protocol for good manners. However, I learn quickly. Thank you so much for your helpfulness. Merry CHRISTMAS! 

Posts 10321
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2012 10:52 AM

Carol ... I suspect we're all 'looking around' for a timeline. Of course there's tons of textual sequences. You're literally wanting a 'timeline'?

Posts 9102
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2012 11:02 AM

Carol, can you tell us what resources you have in Logs? Do you own one of the base packages?

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2012 11:19 AM

Carol:

I AM TRYING TO LOCATE A TIMELINE FOR THE BOOK OF REVELATION SHOWING THE CONNECTION BETWEEN THE OPENING OF THE SEALS, THEN THE OPENING OF THE SEVEN TRUMPETS IN CONNECTION TO THE SEVEN BOWLS OF WRATH. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANYONE'S SUGGESTIONS?

Hi Carol, this is something that most people would agree upon.  For an example, I believe the book talks about only one revelation; the seven trumpets and the seven bowls are the same event/revelation.  I say it like you are watching a movie and it shows the same event from several camera positions.  For an example, if you happen to watch American Football and a coach tosses a challenge flag, you will see the same play from many different camera angles.

Posts 7
Carol Sue Bisig | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2012 11:21 AM

I have the Bronze Library with extra Commentaries. 

Posts 7
Carol Sue Bisig | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2012 11:23 AM

I am looking for a textural outline. Thanks

Posts 9102
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2012 12:05 PM

Carol:
I am looking for a textural outline. Thanks

Those usually can be found in a commentary just before the section where commenting begins. Check your Revelation commentaries.

Bible Dictionaries usually have articles on each book of the Bible as well. You have the Baker Encyclopedia of the Bible and it does not seem to have an outline. The HarperCollins Bible Dictionary has a brief one.

Bible Introductions and Surveys are another possibility. You have New Testament Survey by Gromacki. It has an outline for the book under the book's heading. Other surveys and introductions may also have one.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 7
Carol Sue Bisig | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2012 12:11 PM

Thank you for your sincere help. However, I looked in my real Study Bibles and found exactly what I needed for my class tonight. It only took me five minutes. Have a Merry CHRISTMAS

Posts 2860
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2012 12:24 PM

Ken Baker:
all caps is hard on the eyes, and in internet culture is akin to yelling.

Ken,

May I broaden your horizons a bit?  I know a number of people with vision problems for whom all caps is about the only thing they can see.  So, 'hard on the eyes' is subjective at best. I'd even go so far as to say it is completely untrue.  While I know many who have trouble seeing small letters, I've yet to see a single person who has been harmed, visually or otherwise, by all-caps.

As for 'akin to yelling', that is something someone made up for no other reason than to nitpick.  I could just as easily say that non-caps is akin to whispering.  You'd (rightfully) find that silly.  So I hope you can see the silliness of calling all-caps 'yelling'. It isn't yelling.  It is simply the use of all capital letters, which is a standard, accepted practice in the English language.

I hope you take this with the same humility you posted earlier, and understand that correction of others' use of the caps lock key may be more offensive to them than the caps are to you.

Hmm

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 29
Hayedid | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2012 1:21 PM

Hi Carol,

No worries about the CAPS... I don't know why people make such a big deal out of that.  You may want to consider:

http://www.revelationcommentary.org/

Have a great day.

Posts 7
Carol Sue Bisig | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2012 1:33 PM

Thank you so much, I have to confess to being tremendously surprised by his outburst. I am so grateful that I am not a new or very young Christian. I am amazed that with the problems Christians are facing from a hostile world, that, large or small caps, actually matter? GOD IS GOOD! I have found what I was looking for in a real Study Bible. Thank you, Have A Merry CHRISTMAS! 

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2012 1:59 PM

Doc B:
I'd even go so far as to say it is completely untrue.  While I know many who have trouble seeing small letters, I've yet to see a single person who has been harmed, visually or otherwise, by all-caps.

I for one find it extremely hard, slow, and tedious to read, to the point that I generally don't bother doing so. There is a reason people stopped writing in all caps many many centuries ago, and invented lower-case letters instead.

Doc B:
As for 'akin to yelling', that is something someone made up for no other reason than to nitpick.

That simply isn't true. All caps have long been used to make something stand out, whether it be one particular word in an otherwise lower-case sentence, or things like headlines, advertisements, book covers... Therefore making a whole text stand out becomes the written equivalent to yelling. 

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2012 1:59 PM

There are still some people in our country that do not believe there is a culturally inappropriate use for the middle finger. their denial does not change fact.

Words, and actions are simply vessels that culture fills with meaning. All caps, means yelling.

For other information RE nettiquette (how not to be rude on the internet) consider the following: http://www.networketiquette.net/

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2012 2:01 PM

fgh:

Doc B:
I'd even go so far as to say it is completely untrue.  While I know many who have trouble seeing small letters, I've yet to see a single person who has been harmed, visually or otherwise, by all-caps.

I for one find it extremely hard, slow, and tedious to read, to the point that I generally don't bother doing so. There is a reason people stopped writing in all caps many many centuries ago, and invented lower-case letters instead.

Doc B:
As for 'akin to yelling', that is something someone made up for no other reason than to nitpick.

That simply isn't true. All caps have long been used to make something stand out, whether it be one particular word in an otherwise lower-case sentence, or things like headlines, advertisements, book covers... Therefore making a whole text stand out becomes the written equivalent to yelling. 

THANK YOU! (see there? appropriate use of all caps - expressing exuberance)

I was feeling ganged up on.

Posts 1790
Tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2012 3:18 PM

Carol, first things first:   Welcome to the Forum.

Carol:
I have to confess to being tremendously surprised by his outburst

I would hardly call it an "OUTBURST", a gentel correction and illustration is closer to the point.

Carol:
I am so grateful that I am not a new or very young Christian.

You may not be a young Christian, but you are a young LOGOS forum user  (Close to your first post on this site).

The poster just wanted you to get off to a better start before some one else jumped on your case.  I saw it as an act of kindness and that was the way you responed in your first couple of posts.

Carol:
I am amazed that with the problems Christians are facing from a hostile world, that, large or small caps, actually matter?

BIG THINGS and little things matter to God, God is not offended by use of all caps but some people are. 

Carol:
GOD IS GOOD!
  He is ALWAYS Good.

Carol:
I have found what I was looking for in a real Study Bible.

Was it one of the Study Bibles offered by Logos? http://www.logos.com/products/search?q=study+bible&start=0&sort=rel&pageSize=30

Feliz Navidad, Tom

www.hombrereformado.org  Solo a Dios la Gloria   Apoyo

Posts 2860
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2012 5:52 PM

Carol:
I am amazed that with the problems Christians are facing from a hostile world, that, large or small caps, actually matter?

So am I, Carol.  But some people seem to care more about being offended than being offensive.

Sorry you got such a rude introduction to the forums.  Keep asking questions as needed, and most of us will be happy to help you as much as we can.  For some of us (like me), that help may be limited, as I'm no rock-star forum member.  But there are people on these forums who probably know more about Logos than the programmers.

Glad you got your answer.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Posts 2860
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2012 5:56 PM

Ken Baker:
All caps, means yelling.

Nope.  YOU SAY it means yelling, but I SAY it doesn't, and I'm just as important as you are, and have just as much say in reality.

Now, might you consider that you offended a brand new member of the forums rather than persist in enforcing your concept of the audibility of type?

I'm trying to be nice here. But I'm not seeing much of that humility you claimed to possess. If you really had it, your first response to her question would not have been to correct her.  She wasn't using her middle finger.  She was asking a question with a typeface you don't like.  That's all.

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2012 6:32 PM

In a post modern world you'd be right. My opinion is as good as yours. However, I believe there are absolutes.

I am not now, nor have I been offended. I understand you are from a different cultural perspective. I've let you know how your actions will be interpreted and if you choose to ignore them I've done what I felt was right.

If you want to turn that into something more than that, then so be it. I'm finished with this conversation.

I highly recommend this source as being both objective and authoritative when it comes to net culture:
http://www.networketiquette.net/

Page 1 of 2 (36 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS