Logos 5 and Windows XP

Page 1 of 3 (54 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 53 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 175
Bill Coley | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Dec 15 2012 11:12 AM

Hi,

I have purchased and successfully installed a Logos 5 minimal crossgrade on my Windows 7 home machine. I also have Logos installations on our church's desktop and my personal laptop, both of which are Windows XP setups. I know that Logos 5 does not run on XP, so what will happen the next time I open Logos 4 on either the church desktop or my laptop? Will Logos still download the 570+ MB update, then stop at the beginning of the installation process when it notices the XP environment, or will the download not even begin because of the OS, or perhaps will the new resources provided by the crossgrade download, but not the main application?

If I can forgo an unnecessary 500+ MB download, I'd like to.

Be blessed,

Bill

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 15 2012 11:19 AM

Bill Coley:

Hi,

I have purchased and successfully installed a Logos 5 minimal crossgrade on my Windows 7 home machine. I also have Logos installations on our church's desktop and my personal laptop, both of which are Windows XP setups. I know that Logos 5 does not run on XP, so what will happen the next time I open Logos 4 on either the church desktop or my laptop? Will Logos still download the 570+ MB update, then stop at the beginning of the installation process when it notices the XP environment, or will the download not even begin because of the OS, or perhaps will the new resources provided by the crossgrade download, but not the main application?

If I can forgo an unnecessary 500+ MB download, I'd like to.

Be blessed,

Bill

Logos will not install Logos5 on XP, the installation procedures are smart enough to prevent that. However, it will download all your resources that are compatible with Logos4. This won't include the new datasets that are unique to Logos5 (I think), but will include any new books you purchased. You may want to start Logos on your church desktop before you get your coffee and check your messages, and update your laptop while watching Hogan's Heroes reruns at home.

NOTE: You can update your laptop at home watching football too. Maybe even basketball, but I'm not sure that works outside of the state of Indiana. Wink

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 175
Bill Coley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 15 2012 11:48 AM

Richard DeRuiter:
...update your laptop while watching Hogan's Heroes reruns at home.

In my world, Richard, there are few more satisfying uses of free time than HH reruns. Thanks for the memories!  I might just take out some of my DVD boxed sets.

(Oh, and thanks for the information about the Logos 5 installation process, too.)

Bill

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 15 2012 12:13 PM

Bill Coley:

Richard DeRuiter:
...update your laptop while watching Hogan's Heroes reruns at home.

In my world, Richard, there are few more satisfying uses of free time than HH reruns. Thanks for the memories!  I might just take out some of my DVD boxed sets.

(Oh, and thanks for the information about the Logos 5 installation process, too.)

Bill

HH comes on here at 6pm on MeTV. I won't say I'm religious about it, but . . .

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 10551
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 15 2012 2:17 PM

Richard DeRuiter:
Maybe even basketball, but I'm not sure that works outside of the state of Indiana.

Will also work in Durham and Chapel Hill, NC. Rather spotty in Raleigh (NC State) and Winston-Salem (Wake Forest) Big Smile

Posts 504
Bob Deacon | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 15 2012 2:55 PM

Jack,

You are certainly RIGHT about that!

Bob Deacon

Dell Inspiron, Windows 10 Latest Update

Surface Pro 6

MacBook Air (2017) Catalina

Ipad Air 2 (ios 8.2.1)

Motorola G6 Play (android 8.3.1)

Posts 4
Diana Hermann | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 16 2012 3:23 PM

Hi,

I'm confused, you sate that Logos 5 will not run on XP.  This is not stated anywhere that I have found.  When I look at the minimum requirements it says Vista SP2. I have XP SP3 and otherwise the probably the minimal requirements (2 GB RAM, etc.) Does this mean I cannot even do the minimal cross grade to get the Logos 5 features? I have not taken the plunge yet because it will cost me $160 for the minimal cross grade which seems pretty high to me. And I definitely don't want to invest that money if it is not going to work or have lots of problems as I seem to be reading about on these forums.

Can you tell me where it is stated that Logos 5 will not run on Windows XP?

Thanks

Diana

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 16 2012 4:05 PM

Diana Hermann:

Dear Diana:

This is a "Windows" issue.

Please do not spend money to upgrade Logos 4 to Logos 5 if your operating system is Windows XP.

XP has been for many, a wonderful operating system.

But L5 needs .Net 4.5 installed  to run

M$ [has not / did not]   make XP compatible with .Net 4.5.

[This information is here on these Forums, but I've not taken time to seavch for it -- BUT -- I do not know where the info is on the other Logos sites, sorry.]

All the best

Regards, SteveF

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 16 2012 4:10 PM

Diana Hermann:
When I look at the minimum requirements it says Vista SP2. I have XP SP3
Hi Diana, just to let you know, Vista SP2 is a higher operating system than XP3.  I am not saying that it is a better OS, just that it is a higher OS.

SP is how many major upgrades the OS has undergone.  For your XP computer, the OS has undergone three major upgrades (Service Packs), and the OS that is needed to run .NET 4.5 is Vista that has undergone two major upgrades (Service Packs).

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 16 2012 5:01 PM

Diana poses an interesting point.  But after searching for only 20 minutes, I DID find a page: http://www.logos.com/installation  Read carefully.

I don't see why this should be a complaint. It's pretty routine for potential purchasers to search a software site for any hints of limitations. Plus surveys show that 20-30 minutes is the norm. So Logos communication, as usual seems up to its normal snuff.

Diana, I'm joking ... you're correct.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 16 2012 5:45 PM

Diana Hermann:

Logos Support for Windows has a technical FAQ => http://www.logos.com/support/tech-faq with Vista being the minimum Windows version for Logos 5.

On 26 Aug 2012, Bob Pritchett, Logos CEO, posted => Advance Notice: Logos Ending Windows XP Support October 26, 2012  that includes rationale since Microsoft has chosen not to support .NET Framework 4.5 on Windows XP.

Older thread => Logos 4 Font Anti-Aliasing Subpar  includes links to three technical issues in .NET Framework 4 that precluded use for Logos and were not fixed by Microsoft.

Logos 4 uses .NET Framework 3.5 while Logos 5 uses .NET Framework 4.5

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 10551
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 16 2012 7:17 PM

DMB:
Diana poses an interesting point.  But after searching for only 20 minutes, I DID find a page

Interestingly enough, Diana's answer is contained in her own post. She listed the minimum system requirement as Vista, which rules out XP. 

Posts 10551
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 16 2012 7:18 PM

DMB:
Diana poses an interesting point.  But after searching for only 20 minutes, I DID find a page

Interestingly enough, Diana's answer is contained in her own post. She listed the minimum system requirement as Vista, which rules out XP.

Posts 10551
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 16 2012 7:18 PM

DMB:
Diana poses an interesting point.  But after searching for only 20 minutes, I DID find a page

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 16 2012 7:50 PM

Jack Caviness:

DMB:

Jack, I am wondering if you are trying to increase your post count. 

FYI... Not everyone knows how operating systems work.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 16 2012 8:07 PM

tom:
FYI... Not everyone knows how operating systems work.

Wikipedia has an article about Windows NT => http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT that includes version numbers from 3.1 (initial release) through 6.2 for Windows 8.

For Logos 5, the oldest support Windows operating system that can run .NET Framework 4.5 is Vista, which was released to businesses on 30 Nov 2006 and to consumers on 30 Jan 2007.  Between Windows XP (version 5.2), Vista (version 6.0), and Windows 7 (version 6.1), Vista was known for being the slowest => http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/windows_7_review  Also remember Vista's User Access Control being a bit of an annoyance.

Noticed Logos recommends Windows 8 for Logos 5.  Caveat: Windows 8 does not ship with a Start button and has some User Interface quirks: e.g. move mouse pointer to lower right corner, then right click for a hidden menu.  On a touch screen, when an application is running in full screen, can swipe in from the left or right sides of the screen.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 24930
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 16 2012 10:43 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Caveat: Windows 8 does not ship with a Start button and has some User Interface quirks: e.g. move mouse pointer to lower right corner, then right click for a hidden menu.

With a third-party replacement for the Start button (free or $5) you wouldn't know it to be any different to Windows 7 if you choose to boot to the desktop and disable all the quirky hot spots.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 27681
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 17 2012 3:50 AM

Dave Hooton:
With a third-party replacement for the Start button (free or $5) you wouldn't know it to be any different to Windows 7 if you choose to boot to the desktop and disable all the quirky hot spots

Most users would not know how to do that. Surprise

The BEST thing that happened to me when I "switched" to Mac: People stopped coming to me for tech support. Big Smile

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 4
Diana Hermann | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 17 2012 7:03 AM

I thank everyone who replied for their responses. I was unaware or had forgotten that Vista was a higher OS than XP. I guess I will just have to wait until I can save up enough money for a new PC before upgrading to Logos 5. (I have considered switching to MAC but have too much invested in PC software at this point.) I do have Windows 7 on my laptop but I would assume I cannot run L5 on one and L4 on the other since when they update they will update according to my account. Can anyone tell me if that is an accurate assumption.

Thanks again to everyone who replied.

Diana

Posts 21926
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 17 2012 7:21 AM

Hi Diana

Diana Hermann:
I do have Windows 7 on my laptop but I would assume I cannot run L5 on one and L4 on the other since when they update they will update according to my account. Can anyone tell me if that is an accurate assumption.

No, you can update to Logos 5 on your laptop and your XP machine will stay at Logos 4. 

The folks at Logos built intelligence into the installer so it would check for a high enough level of operating system before trying to upgrade to L5.

If you have multiple Windows 7 (or Vista) machines linked to the same Logos account they will all be upgrade to L5 once you upgrade one.

Graham 

Page 1 of 3 (54 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS