New Improved Upgrade Discount Calculator - possibly not?

Page 3 of 3 (52 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 51 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 549
Shawn Drewett | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 5:49 PM

If Logos created, licensed, and sold certain products and made a profit from them,and I bought them, they shoud be counted toward an upgrade discount. I have $0.00 discount.
(I realize the comparison chart doesn't show discounts, but shows differences in packages, but I understand the discounted price should show up in the upper right corner box.)

Posts 334
Paul Strickert | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 6:00 PM

I spoke with a CS rep yesterday.  I asked him point-blank if a prepub I purchased a while back was factored into the upgrade discount calculation.  He told me point-blank:  No. 

Posts 549
Shawn Drewett | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 7:29 PM

I hate to say this but it seems rather cold and uncaring of Logos to absolutley ignore this paticular thread and give no specific answers to the many questions that have been asked. Just a general , abbreviated explanation will not do. Someone may say, " Why don't you call CS?" My answer: Most questions have been answered here by either forum members or Logos empoyees. Why doesn't EVERYONE that has a question call CS? Because they figure it will get answered here.

I'm afraid I wouldn't like their answer anyway. 

Posts 2794
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 7:43 PM

Shawn Drewett:

How can this possibly be when I have a purchse history of about $2000.00 and it does not show $1.00 of a discount?

They've probably seen the tone of some of your posts on these forums, that's how.

<nasty grin>

(Disclaimer:  This is not a nasty remark...it is a bit of fun poked in Shawn's direction at his expense; in other words, humor.)

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 2794
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 7:47 PM

Shawn Drewett:

If Logos created, licensed, and sold certain products and made a profit from them,and I bought them, they shoud be counted toward an upgrade discount.

This, of course, is the Arminian view of discounts.  The Calvinist view would be that Logos can give discounts to whomever they please, according to their own good pleasure.  And the Molinist view would be they could give discounts to most, partly based on  third-party purchases and partly not.  And of course the open-discountists believe Logos doesn't really know what third party purchases would be made, so they can't know who to give discounts to in any case (in fact, the Boyd-wing doesn't even believe the discounts exist yet).

Whew.

(OK, I'm picking on Shawn tonight.)

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 1355
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 7:52 PM

Shawn Drewett:

Obviously,one could spend THOUSANDS on Logos software that don't count $1.00 towards an upgrade---- i.e. me.

My understanding is that the "credit" for previous purchases only applies to product that would be in the upgrade package.

For example, those that purchased sets like NICOT/NICNT have spent a large amount of money, but that set is not in any of the upgrade packages. There is no reason that any credit would be created from that purchase toward an upgrade.

Posts 549
Shawn Drewett | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 7:53 PM

How about the Joel Osteen veiw? "You can do it! You have the power within to get the discount! Reach out and grab the discount!"

Or the MacArhur view: "Prove to me that you deserve the discount and I will give it to you!"

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 7:56 PM

Well, been out all day and just checked on this post.  I appreciate everyone's inputSome really good points that I had not considered.  I realize the value of my TPC collection would be diminished in price since it is now included (has it always been?) in Gold. 

The real issues I guess for me is.

1.  Did the Discount count my LICENCES or PURCHASES (because the quote of a quote earlier about someone talking to a Logos staffer inferred it was licenses)

2.  Am I able to sell my Licences if I wish?  (B/C if not then a software license decreases drastically in value IMO)

2a) If my licenses were what determined my discount then I'd guess that I CAN NOT turn around and sell them.  (makes some sense)

HOWEVER, if my licenses WERE WHAT determined my discount then it means ANYONE who bought L4 through upgrading has now locked their library and cannot sell it. (unless they sold the whole thing)

IF this is the case then I will say again it was a thoughtful ingenious way of making sure individuals would not be able to sell their libraries. (which of course forces those that would have bought them (EX. on EBAY) to buy direct from the company)

--This would of course allow the company to give steeper discounts on upgrades knowing that it is locking all of the users licenses.

NOTICE:  I do NOT want to break up and sell my library.  I'm not going to.  Like I said I may try and sell my ONE 4th party resource (TPC collection).  Really it is a matter of principle for me.

--If I buy a book... I can freely give, sell, or burn it...  I have that right.... 

--I obviously can't just make copies and hand it out... this is beyond my rights...

--If an electronic book (bundle) is going to be worth anything (esp since the collections are always "compared to print prices") then every customer of Logos should have some rights where their licenses are concerned.

--If my line of reasoning IS correct (and I'm not saying it is at this point) I wonder what legal rights a license owner has? 

--Does a person have a LEGAL right (outside of Logos control) to be able to sell a purchased license? (I say license to not confuse individual books which is NOT what I'm talking about)

I don't think I'm too far off base... Especially considering this particular forum post is not the first of this discussion and I have yet to see ANY official word from Logos on this specific topic. 

NOTICE:  I think L4 is great!  I think the Logos company is great!  I simply have a question(s). Until there is official word I am forced to speculate.

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 7:59 PM

Are we perhaps confusing two different types of  "3rd party" material:

• Logos CD Collections purchased other than directly from Logos
  • Other publishers collections (Nelson eBible etc) which are not part of any of the Logos packages

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 8:04 PM

David J. Wilson:

Are we perhaps confusing two different types of  "3rd party" material:

• Logos CD Collections purchased other than directly from Logos
  • Other publishers collections (Nelson eBible etc) which are not part of any of the Logos packages

Yes and I did add to the confusion.  I am talking about products (licenses) bought from INDIVIDUALS not companies.  For example on ebay.  I wasn't sure what to call those?  3rd party 4th party?

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 2:42 AM

Edwin Bowden:

For example, those that purchased sets like NICOT/NICNT have spent a large amount of money, but that set is not in any of the upgrade packages. There is no reason that any credit would be created from that purchase toward an upgrade.

Exactly. And why would you expect a discount anyway? The point is that you're being discounted resources that you've already bought and therefore aren't new to the collection for you...

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 6:48 AM

Jon Rumble:

The point is that you're being discounted resources that you've already bought and therefore aren't new to the collection for you...

Ah, that does make sense.  I had not thought from that perspecitive.  I will say that it has been stated, directly by Logos, that ANY purchase (at least through Logos proper) is counted toward the discount.

Page 3 of 3 (52 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS