Parallels, PC XP,,help??? New owner of Logos 4

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 14
Geary Williams | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 2 2009 8:24 PM

Shalom friends,

I'm a non techiee and don't know what I got myself into tonight...I purchased Logos 4 b/c I'm a student discount through my school......I didn't know till after I purchased it that it's not Mac friendly at the moment.....I don't know now to buy parallels? or not?   I only own a disc of windows xp operating system and the requirements for Logos 4 is Vista or 7....So then I'd have to buy the upgrade to 7....another 100.00....Does anyone have any answers.....There is a software for Mac called Accordance and I just found out about it now......WHat do you guys think?   I'd love to use the Logos 4 b/c of the library but If I can't use it correctly then what's the use?????Thanks for anyone's help????I feel a little let down, too after making the purchase................

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 8:49 PM

L4 windows works well in Parallels with WinXP.   I ran it that way all through the Beta testing process.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 8:51 PM

I should also add that any work you do in L4 windows will synchronize directly into the Mac version so there is no worries about loss of work or learning two different systems. 

Posts 21
Jason Mc | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 9:02 PM

Hi

You can get parallels here, http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/

Logos 4 does run on XP. I am using logos with XP in a Parallels virtual machine. It runs a little slow but is very usable. I really like Logos 4.

I'd say install Logos 4 in Parallels, use it that way, and wait a few months and the Mac version wiil be ready.

About Accordance, download a demo and check it but it doesn't have the expandability that Logos does. There are so many books you can get with Logos, no where near as many with Accordance.

All the best.

Posts 505
Michael Kares | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 9:20 PM

Hey,

You can also use virtualbox in place of paralells.  It is free.  You can download it from virtualbox.org.  This is the VM software I use.  Logos 4 runs well in Virtualbox.  I have an XP installation with a 20 GB "harddrive" and 768 of ram that runs decently.

Blessings,

Michael Kares

Posts 14
Geary Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 9:28 PM

Many blessings folks....Thank you for responding so quick!  I'm gonna download either parallels or virtual box then utilize XP....Your right....I only need to wait a couple months.......What version was release this week for Mac?  I though the beta came out yesterday???  I'm confused.....THen again I'm not a techieeeee....Oh,  by downloading parallels or virutalbox......does anyone see any ill effects on the OSX side?   Just wondering.......BLessings to you techiees and shadtree techiees....Keep luvin JESUS.

Posts 343

This is a GREAT solution if you're new to Logos and just want to get started and use the Mac without extra virtualization software.  Purchase the Media-Only disc from Logos, http://www.logos.com/products/details/5594 and it allows you to run almost all of your Logos 4 books in the current finished Mac version of Logos.

Jason Saling

Posts 10810
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 2:58 AM

Geary Williams:
Oh,  by downloading parallels or virutalbox......does anyone see any ill effects on the OSX side?

I have not noticed any effect on OSX using Fusion (a competitor to Parallels). Just be sure to install plenty of RAM. Giving your applications and Parallels plenty of room to operate is key to good performance.

Since you have already purchased Logos 4, I see no need for you to consider Accordance at this time. I own and extensively use both, but I have been doing so for several years. I would not recommend starting with both. Learn to use the one you already own first.

Posts 54
Dave Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 2:58 PM

You can also run boot camp. I have an older version of VMWare Fusion that I've been using but found Logos too sluggish in it. I heard newer version are more responsive but I decided to setup a boot camp volume because I didn't want to spend the extra money on upgrading Fusion. Logos has been great, fastest PC I've used is my MacBook Pro

Posts 5
Todd Frazier Michaels | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 6:15 PM

Feel your pain. I can't even install the basic program. "invalid drive:F:/

You aren't the only techno chimp out there. Part of it is apple. 'It just works" (not) I'm about ready to write off the whole shebang. I could have read the Bible by now. Seems like good time and money after bad. Take care. <><

Posts 302
John Graves | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 6:38 PM

m1chael5@me.com:

Feel your pain. I can't even install the basic program. "invalid drive:F:/

You aren't the only techno chimp out there. Part of it is apple. 'It just works" (not) I'm about ready to write off the whole shebang. I could have read the Bible by now. Seems like good time and money after bad. Take care. <><

I am not a "techie" or whatever either but I use Fusion 2.? and XP and my instal works great with L4.  Also my L4 for mac works good (the parts that are actually functioning right now).  Don't give up man there is hope, I am sure someone on here can help you.  

Posts 5
Todd Frazier Michaels | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 8:09 PM

Yunno, if I could just pop the beach ball, (sLow leopard), and if Logos would give you an option to install to a drive that actually exists, this may work. Again, so slow I may as well use the old HP even if it did work. I am not surprised when a company like apple is unethical. I am disappointed that an ostensibly Christian company is 'less than transparent'.

Lessons learned. If you already have mac, unless you are a techie, stay away f/snow leopard. 2. Stay away from paralells unless ditto. 3. Hold a Christian company accountable because it stains everyone. summary. 'It just doesn't work' for the technically inept.

Posts 505
Michael Kares | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 8:32 PM

Calm down brother.  I'll try and help you.  Let me see if I understand your problem.  I am assuming you are trying to install L4 Win onto a virtual machine in Paralells and are having quite a bit of difficulty.  While I don't have experience using Paralells, here is some general advice.  It appears that you have your VM set up in paralells to the stage where you can run the windows installer.  See if there is an option to change the install path from F:\ to C:\. 

Keep in mind that the v.1 Mac Engine is know free.   This engine is quite limited in its functionality, but gives more functionality than the current Alpha (Alpha = lack of features, bugs, occasional crashes and hang ups etc)  However, to use all of the resources you purchased with L4 in the v.1 engine you will need to order a media only disk from Logos with files in the old file format.  Customer Service should be able to help you order the correct disk.

Personally, I have found that the Alpha meets many of my basic study needs quite easily and that there are some workarounds--albeit slow and inconvenient--that allow me to access some language tools which are not fully implemented yet.  There is are a few forum threads that deal with Parallels issues and offer advice for squeezing the most power out of the VM. Look around.  You can find answers.  There are many users--a lot more knowledgeable than I--who are more than willing to help new users.

Lastly, I would like to know what you find unethical about Logos' conduct (Apple's is a little more easy to understand--Mac's aren't as trouble free as they make them sound, but I still think they are more stable, user friendly and feature packed for less money than a windows machine.)  I know the disclaimer page for the Mac engine is a little confusing, but Logos has done their best to clarify things on these forums.  Also remember this--Logos' engines are all free across all supported platforms (PC, MAC, IPHONE) you only pay to unlock resources for these free engines to utilize.  They didn't cheat you.

Hope this Helps.  Let me know If I can help more

Michael Kares

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 8:57 PM

Michael5, I see you have posted your frustrations now on at least 3 different threads. It is easier to help users when you start one new thread, share your need and we will help where we can. Focus on one thing at a time, and you will get there brother :-)

Posts 7
brmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 6 2010 9:44 AM

Ok I have parrallels running Windpws XP on my Mac but when I put the disc in I am clueless as to how to run the install as it isn't showing up automatically. Help!

Posts 248
Daniel Arnott | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 6 2010 11:09 AM

Mary

Go to start-My computer-look for the CD and double click on it

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 6 2010 11:37 AM

MaryBonnevilleRiley:

Ok I have parrallels running Windpws XP on my Mac but when I put the disc in I am clueless as to how to run the install as it isn't showing up automatically. Help!

First off, you need to make sure that your CD is connected to your VM (Sorry, I run Fusion so I can't tell you where to look). Then once you can see the CD in "My Computer" you should be able to double click the CD Icon and run the program.

A couple of things though:

1. You are running XP, but service pack level? Logos 4 requires sp3

2. You didn't say which version of Logos you are trying to install (L3, L4)

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 6 2010 11:45 AM

Wonder about Parallels settings for virtual machine - CD/DVD usability ?  Jack Caviness posted Parallels setting picture in: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/11211.aspx If CD/DVD usable, wonder about Windows settings (e.g. Autorun) and/or software (e.g. anti-virus or malware) blocking disc access ?

By the way, laughed when reading "Lessons learned. If you already have mac, unless you are a techie, stay away f/snow leopard."  since Snow Leopard improved overall responsiveness on my iMac, including Internet Explorer launching faster in VMWare Fusion virtual machine.  Also funny since Windows needs much more techie tweaking on ongoing basis.

Observation: personally amazed by Apple's user interface on top of a very geek oriented operating system.  On a Mac, usually easiest way to accomplish a task works.  On Windows, often step(s) and appearance are different - follow-up from lawsuit many years ago when Apple sued Microsoft for closely copying look and feel.  Obvious ongoing difference: Apple logo in upper left screen corner, Microsoft default Start location in lower left corner.

Apple's web page has many usage tips - often with video demonstrations:

http://www.apple.com/pro/tips/

Back to spinning beach ball issue on Mac - suggest running Activity Monitor utility, especially checking memory usage:

As free space (green) becomes a sliver, spinning beach ball frequency increases.  Page Outs is another number to watch - paging takes time and slows everything.  Some applications have memory leaks - memory not freed after closing application - log out or restart needed.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 10810
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 6 2010 4:54 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Jack Caviness posted Parallels setting picture in: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/11211.aspx

Thanks of the compliment, but John Fidel posted the picture. I just included a link to the thread in my signature because I got tired of looking it up every time someone posted a Parallels question.

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
CD/DVD usability ?

Parallels has a "Devices" menu. the first items are for the DVD. One with the drive name and one to disconnect.

I am smiling Big Smile

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS