What is alpha 5 and beta???

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 14
Geary Williams | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 2 2009 9:39 PM

Hello folks.

Ok, what is alpha and beta versions....I purchased tonight and own a macbook pro with 2.2mghz and 4gbram.....320GB harddrive and leopard OS......Should i install the download or install parallels.......Is the current macbook version good enough or should I download into parallels???? I posted earlier tonight but never understood what alpha and beta versios were????

Posts 505
Michael Kares | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 9:47 PM

An alpha version is software that does not have all the planned features implemented yet and it can be very unstable.  Beta software is generally feature complete with some bugs.  I'd recommend using L4 in a VM for serious work for the time being.  BTW: the performance hit on OS X isn't too bad using a VM in my experience.

Blessings,

Michael Kares

Posts 6
Charles Polk | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 9:52 PM

Wikipedia has a nice article on Alpha and Beta release definitions. They say Alpha products are pretty much in-house as all the planned features are added. Beta is the version that is released outside the company for testing and bug repairing. This product is currently in the Alpha phase since all the planned modules have not been written.

Pretty nice of the programming team to allow the Alpha version to be used by users who include users (such as myself) who are closer to the novice side of things rather than just programmers. This way we can hopefully have some influence on  how things might be developed. I have seen discussion on asking input on how to make the Mac version truly Mac-like thru and thru. I like that. 

Posts 352
Mike & Rachel Aubrey | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 11:01 PM

CharlesPolk:
This product is currently in the Alpha phase since all the planned modules have not been written.

All the currently available PC version features are already written. There simply isn't an interface for them yet in the Mac version.The codebase is the same, they simply use different technologies to render the code on your screen.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS