Best way to utilize Archaeology resources?

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 343
Jason Saling - www.NapavineBaptist.com | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Dec 22 2012 10:54 AM

What is the best way to utilize archaeology resources based on passages of scripture that you are studying? It doesn't work well with Passage Guide of course, as archaeology research isn't usually tied into scripture references. However, is there a quick, recommended way to find out archaeology information that may relate to the passages I am studying?

Jason Saling

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 22 2012 11:17 AM

If the passage contains a reference to a place, have right click option for Bible Facts.

Also can search a collection for a place: e.g. Nazareth

Wiki has =>  http://wiki.logos.com/Example_Collections

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 5004
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 22 2012 12:14 PM

You can also search a collection of your Archaeology resources for reference to a specific person  or people group to get some background information.  Say you want to discover more about a people group or specific ruler mentioned in the prophets.  Sometimes this can be complicated where people/groups are refereed to be different names, but hopefully if you do get some hits these will lead you to the alternative names - this is equally applicable to geographic names. As more tagging is done over time I hope we will see some of the more well respected archaeology based resources appear in the timeline.

A note on building an archaeology collection - I would also recommend adding to that collection one or two encyclopedia/dictionaries.  Anchor or ISBE are good examples, along with New Bible Dictionary.  I was fortunate enough to be around when Columbia Encyclopedia was available so this is nice to add to such  a collection.   This can be great to pick up information, such as different names used, dates, that might direct you to the timeline and hence to more resources that are helpful.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS