Most Exciting Sale Ever. Thoughts?

Page 2 of 2 (34 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 33 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 600
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2012 5:20 AM

Mark Stevens:

I received word back yesterday that only pre-pubs cancelled in the last 4 months could be included. I tried to get the NIVAC pre-pub price I had for OT and Prophets but the rep said they didn't have a record of it.  Because it is a Zondervan product they can't discount it the way they do with other products.

On a personal note I have found this sale disappointing and I think a little misleading. But hey, it isn't the end of the world and Logos offer some great prices at other times of year and through my sales rep. I am just disappointed because I got my hopes up!

Yes, I was just thinking about this a bit more yesterday, thinking that maybe I needed to have actually abandoned something in my cart or canceled a prepub. Then I reread the note on my Logos homepage:

Logos Blog:

This Might Be Our Most Exciting Sale Ever!

Every day, customers show interest in products but change their minds before making the purchase. They may pre-order a Pre-Pub and cancel it, or load up their shopping cart and abandon it at the Logos.com checkout. These items may be added to wish lists, or simply forgotten. Maybe you’ve caught yourself sighing over that Logos deal that got away. In an effort to increase your Christmas cheer, we want to give you another shot at that resource you’ve been daydreaming aboutmore  

The bold section is is exactly why I contacted them, but the implication--what was underlined--"the deal you missed"--is not what they delivered.

I think from now on, I'm going to have trouble believing it unless it's hard numbers in print. Trust was lost in my estimation.

Posts 658
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2012 6:21 AM

Honestly, Logos said they wanted to "make an effort" - they are. They usually do a very good job in my estimation. My experience has been that they usually allow a little grace after a Pre-Pub deadline has passed. This can be very helpful. I have never heard of a four month grace period with Pre-Pubs. I'm sorry if this doesn't reach back far enough for you, but to me, this is not too shabby.

Posts 1556
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2012 6:43 AM

Over a long period of time, of course! As You can see from: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/62220/439822.aspx#439822 I live in densely populated blocks, and internet is still expensive here, $50 or more a month + installation. I just tried out my brother's 3G for a couple of days in my computer, and it stopped today, it also never functioned well - I was unable to put my computer in power-save mode or hibernate without having to reboot to access internet again.

DMB:
Now, Unix ... thousands of $ for internet service?

~1,480inclprint trulyergonomic.com
8Gtabl
laptops 8G: late'12 EliteBook W8.1 4threads HDD; '12Q1 HP 1366*768 15.6" '13 hybrdisk; '09 4GB 11.9" '12SSD
desktops: '09 8G W8.1 Core2Quad Q9300 HDD; '06 3GB PentiuD; W2000 Pradis justNIVACJn

Posts 142
Michael Sullivan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2012 7:15 AM

I am happy with the sale.  I got the existing Concordia commentaries at "very close" to the prepub price: $32.24/vol.  I have never seen Concordia stuff for Logos go on sale, so I am a happy camper.

Now, If we can just get the excellent Ezra/Nehemiah commentary to change status in prepub. . . .

Posts 1556
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2012 10:25 AM

Is the sale still going on? Wasn't it last weekend? Not that it matters, I have no previous now cancelled pre-pub orders that I would want and very few anyway.

~1,480inclprint trulyergonomic.com
8Gtabl
laptops 8G: late'12 EliteBook W8.1 4threads HDD; '12Q1 HP 1366*768 15.6" '13 hybrdisk; '09 4GB 11.9" '12SSD
desktops: '09 8G W8.1 Core2Quad Q9300 HDD; '06 3GB PentiuD; W2000 Pradis justNIVACJn

Posts 3941
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2012 11:21 AM

Unix:

Is the sale still going on? Wasn't it last weekend? Not that it matters, I have no previous now cancelled pre-pub orders that I would want and very few anyway.

I believe the sale is on through January 2nd.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 7200
Forum MVP
Super.Tramp | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 3 2013 3:55 PM

Bruce Dunning:
I believe the sale is on through January 2nd.

I finally bought the Master Bundle XL on the last day of the sale. I was very surprised by something though; I asked for a discount on The Classic Commentaries and Studies on Galatians and was told the regular price was the best price I could get. Had this been a copyrighted work with a "big, bad, greedy" publisher denying any discount in sale pricing, I would have understood the firm pricing. But we all heard Bob Pritchett say the Community Pricing titles must meet costs before graduating to the Pre-Pubs. And since these are all public domain works the "big, bad, greedy" publisher does not have any fingers in the cake. So please tell me why Logos could not offer this resource for a discount. I did not bother asking for sale prices on any other resources. I figured if they can not discount their own public domain title they did not have anything else discounted, for me, at least.

"Most exciting sale ever"? No. That was 2010 books for $2010 dollars at Christmas 2010.

Posts 1837
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 3 2013 9:04 PM

At first I was disappointed because BECNT upgrade had no discount as the promotion ad "said."  BECNT I got it at prepub price, but due to financial hardships I had to return it in the past, so it was "the deal that had escaped" and I was hoping to get it back, but to my luck I didn't get it.  Anyway, days later (yesterday) I called some other sales person to purchase other resources, including the NIV 1984 Bundle, and he wasn't much of a help.  It was like he didn't want to even bother to look up at some discounts for me, so I told him I would call back and then called later, but specifically asked for Maggie Segar (my usual sales person) and she was very nice and customer service oriented.  She looked up at the "NIV 1984 Bundle"  and said her system told her that could not be discounted (in fact, she even mentioned that the price had dropped a lot from the original price she remembers), then she kindly took time looked at the other resources I wanted and she was able to give me a discount on each item I wanted.  She was very helpful where as the other guy wasn't so helpful.  I guess he was having a bad day or was tired, because he even told me I already had the NIV 1984 Bundle when I didn't...LOL.  Oh well, even though I didn't get the best deal ever during the "Best Sale Ever" event, I still managed to get a great deal to have the NIV 1984 Edition which Zondervan doesn't want to sell anymore, plus I got the other resources I wanted at a great discounted price.  My hats off to Maggie for helping me get a great deal on the books and commentary I wanted.

Now, even though the "Best" sale ever was not so best ever to some of us, I'm still glad that we have Logos Bible Software to help us grow in grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus (2 Peter 3:18).  One thing is for sure, with Logos Sales Advertisements sometimes it'll be a hit and miss type of thing, but over all Logos in some way or another manages to take care of us to the best of their abilities.  So hats off to them too for their efforts.

Blessings!

DAL

To anyone at Logos if you think you can make an exception and give me the BECNT 7 Vol upgrade at prepub price, please, give me a call or email me; you have my information.  I promise not to tell anybody...LOL...I guess this is my final feeble attempt to get away with what I want.  Stick out tongueWinkGeekedAngel Thanks!

Posts 645
Dean053 | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 3 2013 10:20 PM

I was glad to save money this year; I am surprised though that Logos didn't offer a sale on in-house books. I'm not griping about the lack of a good sale this year at all--I do, however, have a problem with pitches which are simply not honest or true.

Posts 222
Into Grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 4 2013 12:31 AM

I liked last year's sale better. I had very limited funds after upgrading to Logos 5. So this year's small sale was good for my budget. 

Ultimately, my hope is in the Lord and not in the size of my digital library. The right books do help in my walk. It's normal to desire books that benefit one spiritually.

Posts 3537
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 4 2013 12:52 AM

Super Tramp:

"Most exciting sale ever"? No. That was 2010 books for $2010 dollars at Christmas 2010.

I'll be honest...that (or the 2011 version) is what I really wanted going into the end of the year, but the L5 release kind of changed those plans. I jumped from Portfolio to Portfolio, and then picked up some of the Classic Commentaries I missed because they came out in massive costly batches. I have all the CCCs now, except for the ones that haven't come out yet. That makes me happy since it really looked like that goal was going to go bust when I couldn't afford them all when the releases went live.

I will say this...I think the Master Collections they offered this year PALED in comparison to the previous two years. I would never in a bazillion years get this year's MC. So I'm not disappointed I couldn't get what they offered this year...but I'm extremely disappointed they offered these new bundles instead of the older ones. I still want to get one of the older MC's at some point--I hope that will be an option next year...if not sooner.

Matthew, if at first you don't succeed, try try again. IdeaWink

Posts 10
Christ Alone | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 4 2013 2:54 AM

I have a Logos rep that always gives me a great price. Thanks John. 

Now, if Logos can just get the software to work the way it is suppose to ... Big Smile

Yours In Christ

Posts 7200
Forum MVP
Super.Tramp | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 4 2013 10:46 AM

CLARIFICATION: I understand you to be saying you bought some of these Classic Commentaries collections with discounted pricing. I am redundantly trying to point out even with the Master Bundle XL in the cart.....no discount.

David Paul:
but the L5 release kind of changed those plans. I jumped from Portfolio to Portfolio, and then picked up some of the Classic Commentaries I missed 

This is what I don't understand. I upgraded to Logos 5 in early November. I also moved from L4 Portfolio to L5 Portfolio. Then I nabbed the Master Bundle XL. But when I wanted the Classic Commentaries & Studies on Galatians I was offered no discount at all. None (even though it is a Logos published public domain collection that has been pure profit from day one.)

I refuse to pay $169 for that resource when I know others are getting other collections in that series with discounts. It will just remain a burr in my saddle reminding me of the other pricing inequities I heard about in this sale. I saw one buyer got the 5th volume of The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia for $65 while another was charged $75. I believe Logos has a right to extend any offer they choose to those they deem worthy. I just wonder where I fell out of favour. My price for Master Bundle Xl jumped $25 after Christmas while it was sitting in my cart. The sale said it was running through January 2. The prices kept fluctuating.

David Paul:
Matthew, if at first you don't succeed, try try again. IdeaWink

From Logos standpoint the sale was a success. They sold me 2 big ticket items.

Posts 3537
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 4 2013 6:08 PM

Super Tramp:

I refuse to pay $169 for that resource when I know others are getting other collections in that series with discounts. It will just remain a burr in my saddle reminding me of the other pricing inequities I heard about in this sale. I saw one buyer got the 5th volume of The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia for $65 while another was charged $75.

This isn't that unusual in the area of sales. It's called "dynamic pricing" (at least that is the name it has been given recently). In commissioned sales, there is an absolute lowest price and a starting price. Any sale closed above the lowest price gives the salesman a bigger payout. That shouldn't surprise anyone--been that way since Adam was in diapers. What is a bit unusual is that many supposedly "flat rate" and non-commissioned retailers have begun to use this method for their normal retail business...see here. This might be a bit more unexpected, and for some disconcerting. But again, sellers want what they can get...as much as they can get...without losing the sale to someone else. It's a dance...a competition...a game of chicken. Whatever...point is, until the J.C. Penney catalog came along, bartering was pretty much the name of the game. The truly ironic thing is that just about a year ago, J.C. Penney's new CEO instituted a we-never-have-a-sale-just-one-low-price policy...and Penney's sales cratered disasterously. Reason is...people like to dicker over the price, even though they say they don't. Psychologists have confirmed this in studies.

So, the upshot is...try try again, like I said above. Not only can you play one store against another store...you can play one salesman against another salesman. Understand, I've done sales, and it can be feast or (very often) famine. Sales people work hard. I am shockingly poor by most people's standards, but I always tip at restaurants. I rarely go to waiter served restaurants though. But I know those people need to make a buck, even though they probably make much more than I do. Logos is a monopoly of sorts--once you are invested, it's hard to break free. So going to another retailer isn't a feasible option for many of us. Still, we can "shop" for a best price if we aren't satisfied with what been offered...or not offered, as in your case. I had to talk to a few salesmen before I got what I wanted. Mainly it was a quesiton of what I could afford, but I was of the same opinion as you--I wasn't going to pay the current going price for my earlier CPs. In the end, I didn't. I won't say what I paid (although many buyers love to trumpet their "great deals" to others, mostly to brag) becaue to me that is bad form. I respect a saleman's place/need to be able to strike a better deal for himself on the next sale if he can. As always, the buyer needs to fend for himself.

I think one person being able to pay $75 while another pays $85 is not a bad thing...it's a good thing. Otherwise, we might all have to pay $85...or even $95. In the end, the bargin that's cut will depend or persistence and the intensity of desire to complete a transaction on the part of both buyer and seller. I didn't get the best deal possible for what I wanted, but I was pleased with the fact that I was able to get things that I wanted and thought would forever be out of reach, at a price I was pleased with. For me it worked out. I just had to keep at it until it did.

Page 2 of 2 (34 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS