Forum confusion

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 102
Roger King | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 3 2009 11:27 AM

When choosing to read a post, I am usually taken to the last one in the list (whether it is 3 or 333). This is great as I try to read most of the posts. However, occasionally I am taken to the first one, even if I have read it before.

Am I doing something wrong/misunderstanding something here? I can't find a reason for the seemingly dual nature of this.

It is not a huge life/death issue, but my inquisitive brain won't rest until I understand the behaviour. (I'm cursed!Tongue Tied)

Thanks for any help!

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 11:33 AM

RogerKing:

When choosing to read a post, I am usually taken to the last one in the list (whether it is 3 or 333). This is great as I try to read most of the posts. However, occasionally I am taken to the first one, even if I have read it before.

Am I doing something wrong/misunderstanding something here? I can't find a reason for the seemingly dual nature of this.

It is not a huge life/death issue, but my inquisitive brain won't rest until I understand the behaviour. (I'm cursed!Tongue Tied)

Thanks for any help!

I have the same problem. It's annoying, and I probably should have said something about it, but I haven't yet. Thanks for raising a voice :-)

Posts 2813
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 11:55 AM

Many forum interfaces have a "read first unread post" link

LIke this: http://www.screencast.com/users/KevinPurcell/folders/Jing/media/d756e24f-f066-4070-a830-b2f059657ef0

Please can we have one???

Posts 19176
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 12:33 PM

It seems to work consistently for me. If I click on the subject line link, it takes me to the beginning of the thread, but if I click on the "Latest post" timestamp link, it takes me to the end. If you're within a particular sub-forum, such as Logos 4, then it's not the timestamp but the words "Latest post" that you can click on to get to the end of the thread.

Posts 26509
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 12:57 PM

That works for me as well!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 236
David Ladiges | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 12:58 PM

In general, when you click the title link to a thread, you go to the start of the thread. When you click a linked date in a list of threads, you should go to the most recent post in the thread.

I am trying to make sure that is consistent whether on the forum home or the Active Topics page or any list of threads so if you see that not behaving like that, let me know.

While we would all like a jump to most recent post, as I have mentioned in the distant past we just don't have the information to be able to provide a link to an individual user's first unread post.

Posts 102
Roger King | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 5 2009 11:17 AM

Rosie Perera:

It seems to work consistently for me. If I click on the subject line link, it takes me to the beginning of the thread, but if I click on the "Latest post" timestamp link, it takes me to the end. If you're within a particular sub-forum, such as Logos 4, then it's not the timestamp but the words "Latest post" that you can click on to get to the end of the thread.

Thanks for the tip! It seems to be working!

Posts 13415
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 5 2009 11:21 AM

David Ladiges:

While we would all like a jump to most recent post, as I have mentioned in the distant past we just don't have the information to be able to provide a link to an individual user's first unread post.

Then perhaps you should store that information Smile - we'd all find it useful.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS