Liturgical Resources

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 9
Chris Linebarger | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 3 2009 11:41 AM

I would love to see more liturgical resources. For example, I am a member of a 1928 BCP Anglican parish (studying to be a priest). It would be nice to have at least the 1928 and 1979 BCP's available as fully searchable, linked resources. Older editions would be nice as well in addition to the 1940 Hymnal. Also, more Christian art and icon resources please! As it stands right now, Logos caters to Protestant Christians (understandably) but it would be excellent if we could see more Anglican, Orthodox and Roman liturgical sources added.

Posts 27044
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 5:47 PM

Chris Linebarger:
As it stands right now, Logos caters to Protestant Christians (understandably) but it would be excellent if we could see more Anglican, Orthodox and Roman liturgical sources added.

True. But part of the reason that it is true is that is where they get return on their investment. I think that the Jewish/Orthodox/Catholic/Luteran/Anglican contigent needs to (a) prioritize what features are needed to increase their market share and (b) use the PBB route to create some of the products that we would hope that Logos ultimately provide. PBB's can help build the necessary customer base. And we have to make a concerted effort to get people to buy the resources that are available - published, pre-pubs, etc. Catena Aurea sitting in limbo is an example. Given the success of the Ancient Christian Writings series, one would expect this to have a demand but ...

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 97
Al | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 5 2009 8:13 PM

Let's parse it even further. They cater to the more conservative evangelical side of protestantism.

As a member of a old mainline denomination, I find much of what Logos publishes non-useful to me, though there are many resources that I do appreciate and use.

Posts 27044
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 5 2009 9:38 PM

Al Bastin:
They cater to the more conservative evangelical side of protestantism.

True - that is their roots and their primary market. But they have reached out to Catholic, Lutheran and Jewish consumers. As I watch pre-pubs I don't see the groups responding by buying additional products.

I recently purchased a Logos product that I expected to be comparatively free of denominational bais. To my surprise, the short chapter on history was factually incorrect (it is the Eastern Orthodox who should feel abused). It reminded me how thoroughly Logos caters to conservative evangelicals. But I could easily spend five times my book budget on resources that I do respect and trust. So let those evangelicals keep Logos rolling.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS