Best way to upgrade/crossgrade

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 21
Gary Foster | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 27 2012 6:56 AM

I have logos 4 for the mac, with a basic set that I've added a few books to here and there (including some Catholic resources).  I would like to upgrade to logos 5, but I also would like to upgrade to one of the Catholic base packages (probably the starter one, and then add books as I budget for them).

I saw the L5 minimal crossgrade and know that's an option, but if I just get the new Catholic base set instead, will that come with the L5 engine or do I need to first do a crossgrade to L5 and *then* do an upgrade to a Catholic base set?

Thanks!

-- Gary F.

Posts 323
Doug | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 27 2012 7:18 AM

If you want all the new L5 features and datasets (very useful I think) then you have to do the minimal crossgrade.  

Posts 10555
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 27 2012 7:19 AM

Gary Foster:
do I need to first do a crossgrade to L5 and *then* do an upgrade to a Catholic base set?

No, since the upgrades include most or all of what the Minimal Crossgrade (MC) would give you. 

You may wish to look at http://www.logos.com/catholic#compare and see which of the base packages suits your need best. There is a "dynamic pricing calculator" behind this page, which will give you a personal deal, taking into account the books you already have from L4. 

Note that, should your base package not contain a specific dataset from the MC you were interested in (such as Clause Search), the MC is priced dynamically as well and buying the MC after the Base Package may be only a very small amount, since you own most of it already. The other way round would not make much sense, as the base packages are priced with an upgrade discount, which will be gone if you bought the MC first.

When you're at the Base Package comparison page, you should definitely try the "customize" button, which leads you to https://www.logos.com/topproducts with prices you will likely not see soon for these products (note: it's easy to overlook on some browsers, but these are scrollable shelves, so there will be more in each row - tends to become a bit overwhelming).

If you noticed the current Topical Bundles sale on http://www.logos.com/christmas#bundles : the Catholic Studies Large bundle is completely in Verbum Master, the XL bundle is (save one book) in Verbum Capstone. This may be interesting if you bought a bundle (you won't pay twice), or plan to get a bundle rather than a larger package or vice versa. 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 21
Gary Foster | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 27 2012 11:18 AM

Thanks for the clarification!  I'll probably just upgrade to the basic verbum package then, and after that see what the MC looks like and what features I am missing.  I have some stuff on prepub order but I don't think they fall into the verbum basic package so I'm not shooting myself in the foot there either (I will doublecheck the list to make sure though).

-- Gary F.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS