Mountain Lion and L5

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 14
Christ Alone | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 27 2012 4:38 PM

We upgraded one of the computers to ML (from 10.7 to 10.8). ML is very nice in L5 we are actually receiving less spinning wheels now while scrolling  - considerably less. However, we still have the BSL crashing. Hopefully development will have a solution soon, if not back to BW, or possibly try Acordance.

Yours In Christ

Posts 13186
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 27 2012 5:43 PM

5 Solas:
However, we still have the BSL crashing.

Curious about word(s) in Bible Sense Lexicon that crash ?  Please elaborate how to repeat crash.

Apologies: using Logos 5.0b Beta 1 on OS X 10.8.2 in full screen mode currently am not crashing.  Started with a blank layout by using close all command, then opened Bible Sense Lexicon and opened two Bible Word Studies:

Caveat: noticed Logos 5.0b Beta 1 is a bit buggy for changing Bible Sense Lexicon focus since clicking on diagram needs improvement.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 14
Christ Alone | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 27 2012 6:00 PM

Thanks for the reply. Mine will not even open. I select it. Wait 15 or seconds and L5 closes. It gives me an error report.  This happens on two different Macs - mini and MBP - both only a year old ... The same thing happens when using the Community group settings in tools too. Spoke with Apple. They looked at the systems. Everything is running fine. They looked at the crash logs and stated it is a software issue.  I am suppose to have a solution by Monday - hopefully - from Logos.

Yours In Christ

Posts 61
DivineCordial | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 27 2012 6:03 PM

Confirmed. I just got a Macbook Pro Retina 13" (running Mac OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.2 and Logos 5.0a SR-3) and Logos crashed as soon as I clicked on the Bible Sense Lexicon. So far, it has only happened the first time.

L4 Platinum + L5 Portfolio + L5 Reformed Platinum
Toshiba Satellite 16"/Win 8.1/Core2Duo 2GHz/8GB DDR2/960GB SSD
rMBP 13"/OSX 10.9.4/i7 2.9GHz/8GB DDR3/512GB SSD
iPad 3/iOS 7.1.2
iPodT 4/iOS 6.1.6

Posts 671
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2012 6:51 PM

Wow. I just tried BSL and mine crashed too. First the spinning color wheel and then ... nothing (L5 closed down). Hmm.

Sure a fix is on the way; till then I'll steer clear. 

Posts 14
Christ Alone | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 30 2012 4:05 AM

Normal.dotm 0 0 1 132 753 IIIM 6 1 924 12.0 0 false 18 pt 18 pt 0 0 false false false

Since I had not heard back from Logos Tech Support (understandable, they are busy), I e-mailed them on Friday. Here is part of the reply on this issue:

___

We have not received any information back from our developers on this issue at this time. 

I'd recommend you give us a call at 1-800-875-6467 on Monday to check up on this but it's not likely we'll have a fix for this by then.

The root of the issue is how the new version of Cocoa (a Mac programming platform we use) handles memory. This is a complex fix and will take some time.

___

I will call them on Monday to see how long this needed fix will take. I will also try to find out if there is a temporary work around on this issue … (besides not using it).

I must admit I am somewhat saddened and disappointed that Logos is releasing and marketing these so-called  "upgrades" when in reality some of them are not fully functional and others do not even work. I know Logos is working hard and I appreciate it (we need these programs, appreciate their commitment, et. al), but IMO they continue to release programs, upgrades, etc. "to early." 

Yours In Christ

Posts 13186
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 30 2012 5:25 PM

5 Solas:

... I know Logos is working hard and I appreciate it (we need these programs, appreciate their commitment, et. al), but IMO they continue to release programs, upgrades, etc. "to early." 

Likewise appreciate awesome improvements.  Logos has a release early and often strategy, which does incorporate customer feedback.  Some issues are resolved sooner than others.

After experiencing a number of crashes with Too Many Open Files in Logos 5.0b Beta 1 on OS X 10.8.2, personally using a work around on a Mac with 16 GB of RAM.  Caveat: initial work around attempts increased crash frequency.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 14
Christ Alone | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 30 2012 7:37 PM

Thanks for your post. It was helpful. 16 RAM is great.

We are already running the maximum RAM in both of our Macs (new in 11/11) - 8 RAM ... The Logos website recommends 2-6. So, either the website is incorrect, or it is not necessarily the amount of RAM (if one is running the recommended or above),  but the present lack of programming that controls how Logos uses memory, etc. If I am not mistaken (or mis-phrasing what a friend told me) this is 'in part' what the programming in cocoa is for - memory management ... for Mac users. Window users are having memory problems to ... similar issue, different programming ... 

PS: While it would be useless to have a library and have no resources open for study, just so we could use BSL, we tried that too - it still crashes.  When I purchase software (especially as expensive as Logos is, it is a good value when it works, but still expensive ...) I expect it to be a stable ... (meaning there can be small kinks to work out, but no crashing or other serious problems ...). IMO, Logos is not testing their products sufficiently (and these forums bear witness to this ...) before their release. As I stated/implied before, we appreciate so much what Logos is attempting to do, we appreciate their devotion to their mission,  they have brought Bible study a long way, etc., but end users have missions too and need software that operates properly and does not crash while teaching, preaching, writing, etc. Personally, I would rather have a stable program, then numerous marketed alleged new features that do not work, or half-way work, will work later, et. al.   We will be calling Logos to see when the next date they think this problem will be fixed by  ...and check on the other problems we are having to ...

Yours In Christ

Posts 13186
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 30 2012 8:26 PM

5 Solas:
We are already running the maximum RAM in both of our Macs (new in 11/11) - 8 RAM ... The Logos website recommends 2-6. 

Logos 4 and Logos 5 are 32 bit applications.  For running Logos, 4 GB Ram is a realistic minimum.

Logos 4 and Logos 5 share a core set of .NET Framework code.  On OS X, mono provides .NET Framework capabilities.  The user interface code is different for Windows and OS X.

Apple has defaults for the number of maximum files that can be opened by the OS X kernel.  OS X 10.8.2 ships with a default limit of 12,288 open files, which is lower than a number of open source distributions.

5 Solas:
PS: While it would be useless to have a library and have no resources open for study, just so we could use BSL, we tried that too - it still crashes.

Logos 5.0b Beta 1 added graphical display for Bible Sense Lexicon.  Crash issues in stable releases receive high priority for Logos development; wiki shows a number of service releases that were released one day later => http://wiki.logos.com/Mac_Release_Notes_and_History

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 14
Christ Alone | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2012 10:45 AM

Logos is still researching the problems. They have been on my computer for hours - still on it. It may not be a memory problem as first suspected. They are looking at the possibility of a corrupt book(s), etc.  One thing for sure- they are working hard to try to give us a resolution. If we - rather they - discover the solution we will of course post it what worked here ...

Yours In Christ

Posts 14
Christ Alone | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2012 1:46 PM

Not repaired, but hopeful.

Logos was able to duplicate the same crash on another machine - using the same books I have open, et. al. So, at least it was replicated on another computer ... which gives them an avenue to locate the problem. ...

Yours In Christ

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS