I am thinking of selling most of my (physical) library in favour of electronic resouces: Thoughts?

Page 2 of 2 (39 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 38 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2012 3:39 PM

I made the decision to go digital with my Bible study book a long time ago. Logos was smart and hooked me with an academic discount. Now even my general reading books are digital. I even my library books are ebooks (books are automatically returned). I think its been at least two years since I purchased a physical book for myself. I did buy one book because my "little" brother (chronologically) still prefers print books. 

There are so many benefits. I don't have to worry about having access to my books if I move or travel. I can't loose my books. They cost less...Zondervan and Harvest House have books $.99-$5.99 right now. I can easily share quotes and Scripture with friends and family on Faithlife, Facebook, and Twitter. When I'm studying or writing on the Bible everything gets properly footnoted. My notes and highlights are backed-up...ever had to change Bibles and lost your markups.

My priority of shopping is Logos > Vyrso > Amazon Kindle 

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2012 3:52 PM

I just wish Vyrso had more choices! i search for Eugene Peterson a while back and they had maybe one or two of his 30 books! 

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2012 3:54 PM

Mark Stevens:
I have invested  a lot in my Logo library over the past few years to the point where I almost never use actual books anymore (for sermon prep). I still own and buy hardback books but I am beginning to wonder if the time has come to make the switch to only buy e-books. I enjoy reading a lot but I have resisted going fully electronic because I like to feel the book I am reading. Then I had kids and space (and money) became an issue. 

I would say that that decision greatly depends on several factors.  If you have print books which you do use, I wouldn't get rid of them until I had replaced them with Logos versions.  Some books will probably never be published by Logos and sometimes you want a particular work immediately but it isn't yet in Logos.  I still buy print books (and PDFs).  The other week I ordered Huehnergard's new An Introduction to Ugaritic.  I already have Cyrus Gordon's Ugaritic Textbook in Logos, but that is the book I used when I studied Ugaritic in the cemetary 2-3 yrs ago.  Wink  I was wanting something newer.  I think you need to evaluate on a book by book basis.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 6644
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2012 4:09 PM

George Somsel:
but that is the book I used when I studied Ugaritic in the cemetary 2-3 yrs ago. 

That is a good place to study, it is very quiet and peaceful. Maybe one day I might try it. Wink lol

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2012 4:28 PM

Mark Stevens:
Losing $5K worth of books must have hurt.

Had the books been on my shelves rather than in storage, I would not have lost them. That type of physical loss is not going to happen with Logos because they can be restored to my laptop. 

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 9296
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2012 8:37 PM

I live a few hours north in Haliburton. Makes me wonder how many Logos users are in Southern Ontario.

I really like your idea of Logos providing a place to list paper books but I don't know if the forums will allow it either.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 29 2012 10:28 AM

Bruce Dunning:
I live a few hours north in Haliburton.

Dear Bruce:

I am familiar with both "the Forest" near Haliburton plus "Red Stone Lake." [Rocks, trees; rivers; lakes]. Gorgeous!

Down here in southwestern Ontario's former Kent county, we have mostly flat fields for corn and soybeans.

Regards

Steve F

[EDIT: in order to not entirely highjack this thread--are folks able to find deserving young seminarians to donate books to? Many are quite grateful and appreciative--whether they are also using Logos or not]. 

Regards, SteveF

Posts 261
Ralph A. Abernethy III | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 29 2012 11:50 AM

I, too, am going digital and am giving away or selling very cheaply my print resources that are available to me in Logos or Kindle format.

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 29 2012 11:53 AM

Ralph A. Abernethy III:

I, too, am going digital and am giving away or selling very cheaply my print resources that are available to me in Logos or Kindle format.

Last night I began taking books off of my shelf to sell. It was not as easy as i had thought! Wink Fortunately my wife was there to help! 

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 29 2012 12:27 PM

Mark Stevens:
It was not as easy as i had thought! Wink

You have my deepest sympathies!

Regards, SteveF

Posts 286
Mathew Voth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 29 2012 12:34 PM

I live near Vancouver, and would love some suggestions on how to get sme money back for my books, and most of them are like new...

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 29 2012 12:38 PM

SteveF:

Mark Stevens:
It was not as easy as i had thought! Wink

You have my deepest sympathies!

Thank you! It is nice to know that there are those who are willing to "Weep with those who weep!" Wink

Posts 9296
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 29 2012 3:21 PM

Mark Stevens:

Ralph A. Abernethy III:

Last night I began taking books off of my shelf to sell. It was not as easy as i had thought! Wink Fortunately my wife was there to help! 

Mark, my wife is actively there to help me as well. I think she is looking forward to more wall space.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 30 2012 2:53 AM

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their input it has been greatly appreciated. I am heartily encouraged by people's stories of transition and even their struggles! Smile

Posts 9296
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 30 2012 4:52 AM

Mark Stevens:

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their input it has been greatly appreciated. I am heartily encouraged by people's stories of transition and even their struggles! Smile

I am encouraged as well which helps with the motivation to do what I know should be done.

Posts 11
Old School Saint | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 30 2012 1:31 PM

I went ALMOST totally digital about a year ago. Not just bible related books but every thing I read. My Ipad has become my libary bookshelf. My only regret is some of my printed books are not yet available thru kindle. 

Paul

Truly Loved by Father God!

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 30 2012 2:57 PM

I don't have physical storage space problems. I have a large apartment for a poor person, and I live alone. But my buddy (who used to be my girlfriend but now doesn't love me anymore, I'm going to wait for her though and see if the relationship becomes well again) complains about my high rent. It's a real tenancy agreement though.

I have 4 duplicates: Mt 8-20 (Hermeneia) and Jude commentaries, NABRE, the 1992 Good News Translation 2nd Edition (both a whole Bible Catholic Edition and a Gospel according to Jn). I've been a Christian for 16 + 1½ years. In between I was meanwhile an atheist for some years as an adult. At the time I became Christian again it didn't take me long to pick up Logos again.

In Logos, I've been getting mainly base-packages and commentaries. As printed matter I've been buying books by respected scholars; Bibles that are not available in Logos and that I actually use; a book from the '80s about Bible versions; a 1937 translation of 1 Clem w/ commentary; a few commentaries one of which I accidentally got for free (Jimmy Swaggart on 1 Cor) - the abebooks seller forgot to charge me; the end-of-2011 Oxford Encyclopedia of the Books of the Bible; and two volumes from an old RC systematic theology set.

But other than that I have almost all my RC books (except a couple of Bibles) in Logos, they came with the L4 Catholic Foundations base-package (now equivalent to Verbum Basic).

On my Christianforums-profile I've listed most of my top favourite authors (they have a field for filling out that), (one of which is a RC cardinal who died recently and was liberal. I bought a couple of print books by him before he died, he used to work on the UBSGNT team too... I really doubt his books are available in Logos or Vyrso as he was quite liberal (although that is only to some degree reflected in his works). Checking ... no not available in either. (And I don't know does Vyrso have liberal books?))

I don't have much else than Christian books. Well, a good 2011 book on ancient history of Europe (9000 B.C. - 1000 A.D.) which I haven't looked at yet since I haven't found any friend who is interested in history (that should be a Christian friend, I don't have any such Christian friends who really likes books). And I have a print thesaurus and an old Swedish-English-Swedish dictionary.

I love talking about books. Even though I have limited time right now: I have a whole lot of studies during the 1st quarter of 2013, I use available time to read my Christian books, for example in the commuter trains and buses, and often at other times too to get variation so as not to read the school books only. Like I said, I'm looking for friends, see my post: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/62220/439822.aspx#439822

I can see another problem with converting from printed matter to digital books: how to sell the book shelves? You probably don't get money for selling the shelves! So if You are greedy converting to digital is perhaps not for You!

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 6,200own
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 30 2012 3:15 PM

Unix living in celibacy:
Like I said, I'm looking for friends

In that case, I would suggest that you find a good church and stick around for more than the service.  I don't say this from the perspective of legalistically saying that you should attend church.  That is where you will meet people of similar interest.  If you go to bars you will meet a group whose interests may not most likely will not conform to yours.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 30 2012 3:32 PM

They don't talk to me in the Church I've attended during the Fall 2012. Perhaps I should be more assertive, but most of those young people in that particular Church don't stay in this country for a long time, they are here from other countries just to study cheap. I don't have anything against people from other countries, I just wish for a friend that I can keep for a long time and I don't want to be forced to continue communicating ONLY through email. I want preferably someone who has as desk phone.

There are other Churches, but I don't agree with them at all theologically so it's impossible to find likeminded people in them, they are more talkative though.

It's really hard to find an Anabaptist Church over here. There's maximally one and I'm really unsure whether it's Anabaptist - I haven't looked at it yet, first I preferably want to be able to say when I'm studying Anabaptism in college.

George Somsel:
In that case, I would suggest that you find a good church and stick around for more than the service.

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 6,200own
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Page 2 of 2 (39 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS