Missing Microsoft Office Smart Tags for Logos 4.0

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 29 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 12:20 PM

I don't know what all the fuss is about.

I don't have MS Word and don't miss this at all. Wink

Seriously though, as MS looses it's grip on the office suite standard (with OpenOffice and Google Docs quickly replacing MS Office for many people), it's hard to imagine that a function specific to one office suite should dominate Logos' development time. I don't even have a copy of MS Word on my current laptop or desktop (still a die-hard WordPerfect user).

I would love to have an always on "ref-tagger" like program that would making inserting a passage into any word processor (including NotePad, or an html editor for that matter), by a simple highlight and key-combo. Alternatively an open API to allow access to resources from a macro, or other tool would be great too. Either of these approaches makes much more sense to me than smart-tags.

I say this, of course, with total objectivity, and with no self-interest in mind at all. Angel

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 139
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 12:50 PM

ChristopherPowell:
... if they can get it to work under Logos 3, ... the problem can't be Microsoft, they have already opened up the API (Logos is not the only 3rd party software or even Bible software that uses SmartTags). 

Right, nothing has changed on Microsoft's end, but things have changed with Logos 4. In particular, there isn't yet any L4 equivalent to the Logos 3 API, which i believe is what MS Word used "under the hood" for the Smart Tags feature. Since the entire L4 software architecture has changed, producing a public L4 API will take a lot of work.

I'm sorry we can't provide that functionality today, but i wanted to provide a clear statement as to why.

Posts 3747
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 2:11 PM

Danny Parker:
smart tags ... one of the only reasons I still have L3 around

Same here. The biggest barrier to getting me to uninstall L3 is still L3's unmatched capability, with smart tags at the top of my list.

However, STILL LOVING L4!

Bill

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 3747
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 2:24 PM

Sean Boisen:
today

Hi Sean,

For me, it'd significantly change the conversation if Smart Tags went on the "To Do" list, even for "Someday"...

Thanks for listening!

Bill

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 699
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 2:24 PM

So Sean,

Is there an official Logos decision on Smart Tags? For me personally it is a must have feature... As much as I love many features of V4, I do not wish to invest the time in mastering it if Smart Tags are not part of the vision for V4.

We have had comments regarding the surprise in how popular the Smart Tags feature was and some explanation of why Smart Tags is not around for V4... However we still have not had an official statement on Smart Tags for V4 yet... This from back in PC Beta Testing days...

Posts 1951
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 6:35 PM

Joe Miller:

As I recall, the problem was not a Logos decision but in how MS Word has changed the way other programs can access it.  MS appears to have changed things to resist viruses infecting their program and this limits Logos from implementing this feature.

Sounds like something MS would do. Someone needs to tell MS that we certainly could totally eliminate the virus threat if we just don't turn our computers on.

Windows 10 (L9 Beta) | Android 9 (phone - L9 Beta) | Fire OS 7 (tablet - L9 Stable)

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 7:12 PM

Robert M. Warren:

Joe Miller:

As I recall, the problem was not a Logos decision but in how MS Word has changed the way other programs can access it.  MS appears to have changed things to resist viruses infecting their program and this limits Logos from implementing this feature.

Sounds like something MS would do. Someone needs to tell MS that we certainly could totally eliminate the virus threat if we just don't turn our computers on.

It seems in this case my memory failed.  It was not a change in MS.  Logos gave a more accurate response several posts ago.  Sorry to mislead you.. but it does sound like a MS move though, huh?  :-)

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 139
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 9:09 PM

Frank Sauer:
However we still have not had an official statement on Smart Tags for V4 yet...

Frank:

I can do clarification, understanding, explanation, conciliation, and much more. However, "official statements" are beyond my pay grade Smile.

Posts 23
James K Brackett | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 13 2010 3:42 AM

Smart tags are important - one of the greatest functions of Logos in my opinion.  I didn't even know that it was an option until I saw someone do it, since then I have gotten very used to it.  It is a huge feature.  Now I will be writing sermons with L3 and L4 open.

Posts 314
Steven L. Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2010 3:51 PM

The smart-tag function in Logos 3 is the ONLY reason I still have Logos 3. I hope that the folks at LOGOS will make this a high priority. It was SO convenient and simple. Once this function is available for Logos4 (as well as note transfers from L3 to L4 is complete) well, goodbye to my old friend L3

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS