Page 3 of 5 (99 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 98 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 11
David Record | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 17 2013 5:57 PM

Steve,  how hot does your tablet get?  The Acer has fans and stays cool but we have a Surface Pro and it can get quite warm.

Posts 45
Steve Charles | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 17 2013 6:16 PM

Hi David,

The Samsung also has a fan.  Very cool, so to speak!

Posts 11
David Record | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 17 2013 6:30 PM

Steve,  Thanks for the info.

Posts 97
Richard Kingston | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 18 2013 6:59 AM

Steve,

Forgive me for a question that I am sure you have already answered, but I am about to hit the button on purchasing the Samsung. In standalone tablet mode, without the keyboard, you can navigate Logos 5, select and copy text, select the search boxes, enter text - infact do everything you need to do? My one experience with a Win8 Tablet was entertaining, but not successful when it came to running Logos. You needed either a keyboard or a mouse. I suppose the difference with the Samsung is that it has a digitizer on the screen and an "active stylus".

Many thanks,

Richard. 

Posts 1059
David J. Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 18 2013 8:47 AM

Suggest that BEFORE you hit the "buy" button you check out the Samsung web site and make sure you get the 700T model you want and expect to get if not buying directly from Samsung.  There seem to be several different 700T models with various differences.

For example, make sure you are getting a Windows 8 model as there are severel Windows 7 models of Samsung tablet still around

XE700T1C

XE700T1A-A03US

XE700T1C-A04US

XE700T1A-A01US

XE700T1A-A09US

XE700T1A-A05US

XE700T1A-H01US

XE700T1A-A06US

While all will probably work reasonably well with Logos 5, the XE700T1A models tend to be Slate type running Windows 7 and the 1C are the Windows 8 models.  Unless you have and intend to maintain only a SMALL library, make sure the one you are getting has 128GB SSD  (Because teh ones with 64GB have only around 29GB for user installed software and data because (i) the operating system takes up space, (ii) the recovery partition takes up space, and make sure the one you are getting has an i5 processor.  The above are the 700T models listed on the Samsung web site, there may be additional models configured more cheaply (lower specifications)  made as "exclusives" for certain of the larger electronic chains.

Posts 45
Steve Charles | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 18 2013 10:10 AM

Hi Richard,

Sorry for the delay in responding.  I'm in California, and it's my day off ...  Anyway, to answer your question, the stylus that comes with the 700t is an active stylus.  With Logos open, as you approach the screen, without touching it, a small dot appears enabling you to position the pen on the screen with great accuracy (sort of like a laser sight).  Once contact has been made, you can do several things.  For example, you can hold the stylus down on the screen, and it pops up the right mouse menu.  Alternatively, you can drag the stylus across a word or phrase, which results in selecting the text.  Single tapping on a program icon, or a menu, opens the program or menu.  So, sans attached keyboard, you have full finctionality.  There is a keyboard icon on the task bar, and tapping this brings up an onscreen keyboard wihich fills about half the screen.  As this tablet is 11.6 inches across the diagonal, this is very large, and you can type pretty normally on it.  Even the numbers are arranged in the standard cluster off to the right.  You can also usefully make the keyboard go away at any time by tapping the X in the upper right corner, like any other window.

The external keyboard that comes with the device is very well made, comes with a mouse touch pad, and doubles as a docking station.  It also contains 2 USB2 ports, and you can power the tablet through the keyboard if you wish.  Once attached, the whole thing looks and behaves like a high-end laptop.  It really is the best of both worlds!

Now to the model I have.  It is the Samsung ATIV XE700T1C-A1US Smart PC Pro 700T.  It has the full version of Windows 8, i5 processor running at 1.7Ghz, 4Gb of RAM, and the 128Gb solid state drive.  I bought it from Amazon because I am a prime member which means I get free 2-day shipping, and no haggle returns.  The machine runs Logos 5 faster than my "real" laptop which has an i7 processor, 8Gb of RAM, and a 1Tb hard drive.  Being solid state, the tablet boots up in a couple of seconds, even from a complete shutdown.  Indexing on Logos 5 is a whole lot quicker than on the laptop with the conventional drive.  Searching is also very fast once indexing is complete, thanks also to the SSD.

To complete the package, I added a 64Gb microSD card, and a bluetooth mouse for when I am using it as a laptop.  I could not find cool leather cases for it yet, so I bought the 500t version (for $16 on Amazon), and it works fine except tha the rear facing camera won't work with the case on because the hole is in the wrong place.  There will hopefully be a 700t version out soon.  Finally, as well as running Logos great (which is what I really bought it for), it also runs the following programs really well:  Office 2010 including Project, Visio, and Expression Web, Photoshop CS6, Acrobat Pro XI, and CorelDRAW X6.  There are some heavy hitters in there, and the tablet has not missed a beat.

In short, this is the machine I have been waiting for.  I can finally leave the luggable computer at home, and just take this one, with its 1.8lb weight, on the road.  Hope this helps.

Best,

Steve

Posts 761
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 18 2013 3:41 PM

Great posts. A real blessing thanks

Posts 97
Richard Kingston | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 18 2013 4:03 PM

Steve and David,

Many thanks for all of your help. I checked the product numbers with the ones that you detailed David, and with Steve's, and hit the buy button on Amazon. So, two or three days and it should arrive. I am looking forward to its arrival. Of course I am looking to sell everything in sight to fill the empty coffers.

Your personal experiences were such a great help to me. I will report back to everyone with my experiences.

God bless,

Richard 

Posts 8
Sean Crow | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 18 2013 4:30 PM

So then...

From what I'm hearing there seems to be not much 'slowness' issues with using Logos 5 on full Windows 8 tablet/notebooks that only have 4 GB of RAM?   Does utilizing an SSD really seem to make the difference?

I ask because I thought even Win 7 recommended 8 GB of RAM for 64bit and it seems fairly incredible that a tablet/notebook hybrid performs admirably for a Logos5 medium-higher end user without any speed bumps.   I'm wondering if I don't need to wait for some 8GB models later (and I'm on a time-frame before deployment...so I'm trying to gauge what is best or if to wait) or not.  Thanks for the detailed and thoughtful replies, again.

Posts 97
Richard Kingston | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 18 2013 5:06 PM

Sean, I am running Logos 5 at the moment on a Toshiba Satellite laptop. It is running a Pentium B960 processor at 2.2Ghz (dual core) with 4GB of RAM. The speed is totally acceptable. It take probably 20 seconds to load, but once in it is responsive. Never had it hang and resource are pulled up with maybe only a 1 or 2 second delay. I have the basic Verbum package with additional resources. Now, if Logos 5 needs to index, then it is best to wait before using Logos to do any reading or research. The indexing really does slow things down.

I am also running Logos on my desktop at 1.8Ghz dual core pentium (5 years old!!) with 4 GB of RAM and similar results to the laptop. 

EDIT: Both of the above PCs are running with an SSD drive. Yes, it really does speed things up considerably. It makes things acceptable, though not snappy. Without it, it is slow, but still adequate. The SSD drive does make a considerable difference. 

Hope that helps. 

Posts 11
David Record | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 18 2013 5:09 PM

Sean,

I have the Bronze package plus the minimal cross grade which is tiny compared to a lot of users of Logos.  I have 700 books and the install was around 5gb.  My tablet loads Logos in 10-13 seconds.  I searched God, Jesus, and Baptism in all text, entire library and it took 3 seconds for each search.  I regularly have 5 windows open with 5 bibles open in one window and 3-4 commentaries / encyclopedias open in the second window with both windows linked and as I scroll there is no delay.

I have a i7AMD with 16gb of ram for a media pc running windows 7 and it loads and searches slower than my tablet.  When I bought the tablet I hoped it would do a decent job with Logos and I have been pleasantly surprised with how well it does everything.

Make sure you get an i5 processor with minimum 128gb ssd.  The models with digitizer pen is a plus.  The Acer W700 does not have it but the battery life is great and you can find mini Bluetooth keyboards to help with selecting text and highlighting if you do not want to spend the extra $300 for the digitizer tablets.  If money is not an issue I would get 700t with the pen for convenience. 

Hope this helps

Posts 761
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 18 2013 6:47 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-ATIV-XE700T1C-A01US-Smart-700T/product-reviews/B0098O9TRO/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0 Amazon has some pretty scary reviews. I am going to wait.

Posts 45
Steve Charles | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 18 2013 7:03 PM

I would check out all the reviews.  This link only takes you to a very small number of 1 star reviews.  Most of the reviews are 4 or 5 stars.  Incidentally, I cannot agree with any of these 1 star reviews from my personal experience.

Posts 40
Darren Loechel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2013 1:59 AM

Steve & Orpheus,

What is the battery life like? Do you find that it is limiting your plans?

Posts 45
Steve Charles | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2013 10:40 AM

Hi Darren,

I have not performed a run down test, but from my experience, I am probably getting around 6 hours.  Following a full charge, the Windows battery meter tells me I have over 8 hours, but I'm not sure I believe that!  My main use is Logos Bible study and reading (in the lazy boy!), and it is certainly fine for that.

Best,

Steve

Posts 40
Darren Loechel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2013 12:19 PM

Thanks again Steve.

Posts 761
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 20 2013 6:31 PM

I am wondering if anyone is using Logos 5 on a Windows 8  "budget" Tablet effectively?  I like what Steve says about the ATIV but its way too expensive.

Anyone else running the full Logos 5 on a tablet say under $600 - with a pen to be used for highlighting (ideally)?

Posts 384
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 20 2013 6:36 PM

Joshua,

I have Logos 5 installed on a Samsung ATIV 500t, the Atom-based 11.6 inch tablet. While there are many positives to this tablet, running Logos is not one of them. The biggest problem for me is the lagging when trying to scroll through a resource. It is painfully slow. 

Posts 761
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 20 2013 6:44 PM

Thanks Bill.  I first saw the machine you mentioned and it sparked my hope that Logos 5 would run well on it or something similar to it.

I know there are many places where Steve's machine is reviewed online but I just found this one:
http://www.trustedreviews.com/samsung-ativ-smart-pc-pro_Tablet_review

Posts 761
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 20 2013 6:46 PM

I am hoping someone has had better luck with one of these and will weigh in.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/best-windows-8-laptops-tablets-convertibles-and-pcs_round-up

Page 3 of 5 (99 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS