Ancient Near Eastern History

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3
William Brown | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 31 2012 11:27 AM

Shalom!

recently I started reading Hebrew And Babylonian Traditions by Jastrow. Unfortunately, the book, according to my professors, is too old to be used a resource for future papers. They say the same about Alfred Eidershems "The Life and Times of Jesus". 

Does anybody have suggestions for books written after 2000 that would be similar in writing style and density as the previous two books stated? A Book available on Logos, of course.

I am a Sophomore at Northwest University in Kirkland, Washington and am in search of some good reads about ancient history.

thanks!

God bless and Shalom!

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2012 11:34 AM

I make use of The Context of Scripture (its translations of ancient texts related to the Bible) its available in Logos. 

Posts 584
Pam Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2012 12:01 PM

Here are a few I found in my library that have been published since 2000:

Wright, N. T. The Resurrection of the Son of God. Christian Origins and the Question of God. London: Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 2003. (This is the third volume in a trilogy. The first two are excellent in background material as well, but were published in the 1990s).

The Eerdmans Dictionary of Early Judaism. Edited by John J. Collins and Daniel C. Harlow. Grand Rapids, MI; Cambridge, U.K.: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2010.

Flusser, David, and Azzan Yadin. Judaism of the Second Temple Period. Grand Rapids, MI; Jerusalem: William B. Eerdmans Pub. Co.; The Hebrew University Magnes Press, 2007-.

Thiede, Carsten Peter. The Cosmopolitan World of Jesus: New Findings from Archaeology. London: SPCK, 2004.

Klauck, Hans-Josef. The Religious Context of Early Christianity: A Guide to Graeco-Roman Religions. Fortress Press ed. Minneapolis, MN: Fortress Press, 2003.

The Encyclopedia of Judaism.  Edited by Jacob Neusner, Alan J. Avery-Peck and William Scott Green. Leiden; Boston; Köln: Brill, 2000.

Posts 1206
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2012 12:40 PM

William Brown:

...Unfortunately, the book, according to my professors, is too old to be used a resource for future papers. ...

Good thing you don't cite the Bible!

Posts 3
William Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2012 4:33 PM

That is exactly my logic.

Posts 2651
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2012 6:33 PM

William Brown:
recently I started reading Hebrew And Babylonian Traditions by Jastrow. Unfortunately, the book, according to my professors, is too old to be used a resource for future papers.

I have no useful resources to feed you, but I do have some advice. Go to your campus library and ask the reference librarian your question. Also, ask to see any recent dissertations covering your topic. If you have further questions after following this tact, do not hesitate to return to your professors they should be very open to giving you helpful suggestions. 

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 64
Richard Koons | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2013 8:59 AM

I would not be so fast to discount older accounts of historical background as well as archeological finds and opinions. We are living in an age of agendas so much of the archeologicals discoveries are filtered if you know what I mean. I think the wise and prudent man weighs all things. Kind of like translations of the bible how does one refrain from translating from the theological view? It is human nature to do so. All versions claim to be as accurate as possible, (in accordance with the translaters views I might add). One does not have to look very hard to see how the churches and the 501c tax code charters have affected church doctrines. So I would if I were you yes obtain the versions others mentioned however be aware of what I wrote above. Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS