PDF into Logos resource

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 65
Jeffery Ferrell | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 31 2012 3:22 PM

I have a PDF file that I'd like to add to my library as a Logos resource. Its just a Bible reading plan that I'd like to ultimately add to my faithlife.com account and I was advised that the only way to do that is to add it to my Logos resources. Has anyone done this successfully?

Posts 30138
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2012 3:38 PM

Yes, read the instructions for building a personal book. You must first convert the PDF into a .docx format. I actually find Microsoft Word 2013 the best for this. Unfortunately, it is still a beta product. The forums include a number of other suggestions for the conversion.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 65
Jeffery Ferrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2012 4:00 PM

Thanks MJ. Can you link any threads that show how to convert the PDF? Never done that before.

Posts 2672
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2012 4:07 PM

MJ. Smith:

Yes, read the instructions for building a personal book. You must first convert the PDF into a .docx format. I actually find Microsoft Word 2013 the best for this. Unfortunately, it is still a beta product. The forums include a number of other suggestions for the conversion.

As I read your post it seems to say that Word 2013 will input a pdf file and output a docx file - maybe time to upgrade.

[[beta is good when you find the correct mix of players testers that don't mind doing the same thing over and over and over again]

EDIT: found on Microsoft site "PDF Reflow   Open a PDF in Word, and its paragraphs, lists, tables, and other content act just like Word content. "

Posts 30138
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2012 4:17 PM

David Ames:
As I read your post it seems to say that Word 2013 will input a pdf file and output a docx file - maybe time to upgrade.

I'm usually not a fan of Microsoft - but this feature works so nicely that for the first time I am using a Microsoft Beta for personal use.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 30138
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2012 4:25 PM

Jeffery Ferrell:
Can you link any threads that show how to convert the PDF?

My first search of the forums was less than successful - I think people who use the various products available should probably speak up. The methods I used previously had results I wouldn't recommend unless you were desperate.

Posts 1810
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2012 4:53 PM

Jeffery:

I haven't done anything with Faithlife.com yet, so I'm not sure how a Logos Personal Book would integrate with it, particularly since the PBs don't yet sync with the cloud.

I can offer a few suggestions, ranging from complex to simple.

1. There's a link in my signature to my blog, the 11/22/12 post of which describes (in near-agonizing detail) various methods I use for format-shifting into Personal Books. The last half of that covers how I convert PDFs into Word docx. It's probably worthwhile if you wind up doing a lot of this.
  2. If this is more or less a one-trick-pony for you, post the PDF in this thread and I'll post back a docx file.
  3. Or, I can look at the PDF and attempt to help you with defining a Logos Reading Plan, which might be what you really want to do.

Let me know.

MJ: thanks for the heads-up on Word 2013.

Win 10 | Android 9 | Fire OS 5

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2012 7:05 PM

Jeffery Ferrell:
Its just a Bible reading plan ...

Wiki has => http://wiki.logos.com/Reading_Plans with many example Logos reading plans.

Files forum has thread => Chronological Bible Reading Plan - PBB file. 

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2672
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2013 10:41 AM

MJ. Smith:

David Ames:

I'm usually not a fan of Microsoft - but this feature works so nicely that for the first time I am using a Microsoft Beta for personal use.

Works unless the PDF is password protected - But that is OK - I have personal use to the file - Will just have to do it the 'hard' way. [And I already know that I can not 'give' the file to anyone else]

Posts 30138
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2013 1:11 PM

David Ames:
Works unless the PDF is password protected 

Although it is not difficult to find free software to break into passworded files. Of course, you didn't here that from me.Zip it!

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2013 1:46 PM

Jeffery Ferrell:
Can you link any threads that show how to convert the PDF?

PDF conversion can have haphazard results.  Internally, a Portable Document File (PDF) can have image(s) and/or formatted text.  Text conversion is much easier than image conversion.

By the way, LibreOffice also includes PDF converter plus can output as PDF.

Jeffery Ferrell:

... Its just a Bible reading plan ...

Curious about reading plan ?

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 449
Bill Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2013 2:25 PM

Jeffery:

Here is one such thread discussing this issue.

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/37096.aspx?PageIndex=1

Posts 30138
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2013 5:15 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
LibreOffice also includes PDF converter plus can output as PDF.

I found the PDF conversion unacceptable in Libre Office which I otherwise liked.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS