Page 2 of 2 (39 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 38 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 10031
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 2 2013 9:46 AM

Paul:

NB.Mick:

Paul:
Closed L5, downloaded resource, moved it to resources folder (I'm on a Mac), restarted L5. Not there.

- did you try scanning the folder with the downloaded resource file? (Don't know really whether Logos for Mac can read Libronix files)

I had not used the scan command before, but that did the trick. It found the missing journal so that now it is listed in my library.

Great to hear that!

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 383
Daniel Bender | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 3 2013 3:49 PM

I had the same problem as others here. I keep a copy of L3 on the church computer and had volume 10 of Journal for Biblical Manhood and Womanhood on it, but not on my laptop that is running L5. I did find it interesting that I have it on the new Kindle Fire that I got for Christmas. I scanned the disc from my optical drive and now have it in L5.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Blessings.

Posts 4763
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 4 2013 12:26 AM

A little late to my own party...Stick out tongue...but I finally got Vol. 10 loaded into L5. Glad others were able to fill in this gap too. Yes

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 4 2013 1:47 AM

Could anyone who's run the scan command on Logos 5 on Mac kindly set out ( - in idiot-proof fashion!) the steps they took to get this missing journal into their libraries?

I've tried to follow the scan command steps as set out in the wiki, but it doesn't seem to be working for me...

Thanks Yes

Posts 383
Daniel Bender | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 4 2013 2:47 AM

Paul-C, I am running a PC with windows 7 and was unable to locate how to scan my optical drive.

1. I just put my journal disc in my laptop drive
  2. typed scan in the Logos 5 command box
  3. pasted the path to the disc in the command box
  4. restarted logos 5

When the program restarted it scanned the drive and I now have vol 10 in my library.

Hope this will work for you.

Dan B

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 4 2013 4:19 AM

This has left me baffled.  I still don't have volume 10 of JBMW available.  I tried to scan but, not having these resources on a physical disc, I could only scan my C drive.  This took a long time, but appeared to make absolutely no difference.

I finally started to explore the website and it seems that it recognises me as having Theological Journal Library Volumes 1-10, 6-10, 6, 7, 9, 10, but not 8.  Could it be the simple lack of mapping volume 8 to the set that many of us bought that caused this problem?  (Note that I've checked most of the other journals in volume 8, and they are present.)

Can anyone replicate my experience?  Is this likely to be the answer?  Can anyone (at Logos) fix it?

That takes me back to my previous question: How can we tell easily if resources go missing?  (It's hard to continually keep track of thousands of resources.)  Plus, how are Logos working to maintain our trust when this kind of thing happens?  (There was lots of discussion about this possible scenario when some of the features of Logos 3 [Libronix] were left behind.  Logos' response was basically "Trust us!")

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 4 2013 4:28 AM

Could someone check for Christian Apologetics Journal as well?  TJL Volume 8 claims to provide 1998 - 2000, but I only appear to have up to Spring 1999.

Thanks.

Posts 2278
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 4 2013 4:38 AM

I noticed the same issue before Christmas (I was following a reference to a specific article and discovered vol. 10 was missing).

The scan command did not work and I contacted tech support who accessed my system and rectified the situation remotely. I recall that it involved re-downloading the file from the ftp and, I think, renaming the file. It was not straight forward (from my perspective). Simply deleting the file and waiting for it to re-download did not work.

I would recommend that you contact tech support if the scan command doesn't work. 

The good news is that volume 10 definitely does exist and that Logos are able to rectify the issue Big Smile

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 4 2013 5:33 AM

Sounds like a possible solution, but not a particularly good one, especially if there are quite a number of us.  I suspect that few people would actually have noticed the issue, so there may be many more in the same boat.  The suggested fix still wouldn't resolve the website not recognising that I bought TJL Volume 8.  I think it's unlikely that this is a separate issue.

Thanks for at least providing hope, Andy.  Smile

Posts 383
Daniel Bender | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 4 2013 5:37 AM

Andrew Baguley:

Could someone check for Christian Apologetics Journal as well?  TJL Volume 8 claims to provide 1998 - 2000, but I only appear to have up to Spring 1999.

Thanks.

Andrew I have this journal as well; I have 8 volumes, 1998 -1999 and 2004-2009.

Posts 10031
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 4 2013 5:45 AM

Andrew Baguley:
This has left me baffled.  I still don't have volume 10 of JBMW available.  I tried to scan but, not having these resources on a physical disc

The relatively consistent reports indicate to me that somehow the file is not on the L4/5 download server or missing from the L4/5 download script. Thus the "root cause solution" would be Logos fixing that - possibly including a small change someplace to trigger a redownload i.e. first download for those who miss it.

The interim solution / workaround seems to be to use an old Libronix CD-ROM or download the Libronix file from either the link in the order history or directly from the Libronix FTP-server and use the scan command on the location of this file. Obvioulsy scan can only make a resource available in L4/5 when you have the file locally.

Hope this helps a bit.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 563
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 4 2013 6:07 AM

There is definitely something strange about volume 8 of the TJL. The website doesn’t even recognize that I own it, although I do . . .

Andrew – as for the Christian Apologetics Journal, the dates seem to be the issue in the product descriptions: volume 8 claims 1998-2000 and volume 9 claims 2005. As you can see below, the dates do not line up with the descriptions but the volumes are in order . . .

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | Logos 4 Portfolio | Logos 5 Platinum | Logos 6 Feature Crossgrade | Logos 7 Essential Upgrade - Large | Logos 8 Methodist & Wesleyan Platinum and Academic Professional

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 4 2013 6:23 AM

NB.Mick:

Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks, Mick.  That does help a bit.  A fix from Logos would help a whole lot more.  I've just emailed technical support to ask them to look at it.

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 4 2013 6:33 AM

Scott E. Mahle:

Andrew – as for the Christian Apologetics Journal, the dates seem to be the issue in the product descriptions: volume 8 claims 1998-2000 and volume 9 claims 2005. As you can see below, the dates do not line up with the descriptions but the volumes are in order . . .

Thanks, Scott.  I've got to stop digging.  You're right that this is a completely unrelated problem.  According to http://www.galaxie.com/journals/25, there was only a Spring volume in 1998 and 1999.  The Fall volumes appeared from 2005 onwards and there was no 2000 volume, so Logos' description is simply incorrect.

Posts 8012
LogosEmployee

NB.Mick:

The relatively consistent reports indicate to me that somehow the file is not on the L4/5 download server or missing from the L4/5 download script. Thus the "root cause solution" would be Logos fixing that - possibly including a small change someplace to trigger a redownload i.e. first download for those who miss it.

The download problem should be fixed now.

If you're still missing the journal, please run "update resources" to download it.

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 5 2013 7:50 AM

Thanks Bradley.  I can access this journal volume normally now.

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 5 2013 8:04 AM

Bradley Grainger (Logos):

The download problem should be fixed now.

If you're still missing the journal, please run "update resources" to download it.

Many thanks, Bradley.  That's part one done.  It's just downloaded for me.

Is there any comment on TJL Vol. 8 not being shown as purchased by many of us (I've just checked and it's still true), or TJL Vol. 8 claiming to contain the non-existent Christian Apologetics Journal for the year 2000 (it wasn't published that year)?

Two of the questions I raised above are probably also still relevant:

How can we tell easily if resources go missing?  (It's hard to continually keep track of thousands of resources.)  Plus, how are Logos working to maintain our trust when this kind of thing happens?  (There was lots of discussion about this possible scenario when some of the features of Logos 3 [Libronix] were left behind.  Logos' response was basically "Trust us!")

Thanks again for the fix.  It would be good to get a response to the other issues.

Posts 8012
LogosEmployee

Andrew Baguley:

Is there any comment on TJL Vol. 8 not being shown as purchased by many of us (I've just checked and it's still true)

I've filed a bug report on this.

Andrew Baguley:

or TJL Vol. 8 claiming to contain the non-existent Christian Apologetics Journal for the year 2000 (it wasn't published that year)?

I think this is just a typo; it should be 2004 (CAJ 3:1 and CAJ 3:2). I've let Marketing know.
Andrew Baguley:

How can we tell easily if resources go missing?  (It's hard to continually keep track of thousands of resources.)  Plus, how are Logos working to maintain our trust when this kind of thing happens?  (There was lots of discussion about this possible scenario when some of the features of Logos 3 [Libronix] were left behind.  Logos' response was basically "Trust us!")

Thanks again for the fix.  It would be good to get a response to the other issues.

It's hard for me to answer this question, because I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "if resources go missing".

As far as I know, this resource did not go missing from any system that had it. Instead, the download server was misconfigured in such a way that it was no longer available for download. (When we ship a new product, we do install it on a test machine and verify that all necessary files are downloaded properly. However, we don't continually re-test the thousands of existing products.)

So, the resource might have "gone missing" if you deleted all your local files and re-downloaded, or installed afresh on a new computer. In this case, you can use the count in the Library before and after as a quick sanity check.

To produce a list of your installed resources, simply print the contents of the %localappdata%\Logos\Data\(random)\ResourceManager\Resources folder. (Use "dir /b > C:\Temp\ResourceList.txt" in a Command Prompt to create a text file of just the file names.) If there is ever a discrepancy, you can use a comparison program (there are many free ones on the web) to compare your saved list to the current folder contents to determine which resources aren't downloading. We can then find out why that's happening and resolve the problem.

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 6 2013 6:23 AM

Bradley Grainger (Logos):

I've filed a bug report on this...

I think this is just a typo; it should be 2004 (CAJ 3:1 and CAJ 3:2). I've let Marketing know.

Andrew Baguley:

It's hard for me to answer this question, because I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "if resources go missing".

As far as I know, this resource did not go missing from any system that had it. Instead, the download server was misconfigured in such a way that it was no longer available for download. (When we ship a new product, we do install it on a test machine and verify that all necessary files are downloaded properly. However, we don't continually re-test the thousands of existing products.)

So, the resource might have "gone missing" if you deleted all your local files and re-downloaded, or installed afresh on a new computer. In this case, you can use the count in the Library before and after as a quick sanity check.

To produce a list of your installed resources, simply print the contents of the %localappdata%\Logos\Data\(random)\ResourceManager\Resources folder. (Use "dir /b > C:\Temp\ResourceList.txt" in a Command Prompt to create a text file of just the file names.) If there is ever a discrepancy, you can use a comparison program (there are many free ones on the web) to compare your saved list to the current folder contents to determine which resources aren't downloading. We can then find out why that's happening and resolve the problem.

Thanks for filing the bug report and reporting the typo, Bradley.

Regarding resources going missing, I'm not sure I know what I mean either.  That's part of the problem.

Clearly I (and many other users) should have had the resource on their system, but didn't.  What caused it is hard for us to know.

Just as Logos check all files are downloaded correctly but don't continually re-test for thousands of existing products, I think I'm fairly good at checking that all resources are downloaded correctly, so I'd like to think that it was on my machine when I ordered the journals well over a year ago, but I don't continually re-test for thousands of purchased resources.

The only time I've done a fresh install was about a year ago, when I upgraded my computer.  Sadly, the quick sanity check didn't quite work, as I lost 6 resources in the process and then spent quite a bit of time manually comparing.  It turned out that the missing resources were samples, user guides and an outdated copy of BHS (as documented here: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/41802/311464.aspx#311464), so I was no longer too concerned, but that means that I'm fairly certain that I didn't lose access to the journal at that point in time.

Thanks for your suggestion on how to avoid having to do the comparison manually.  If I understand you correctly, this is about comparing the resources on two different machines.  The only time I would have needed this was when I upgraded as above, but it doesn't currently help.

So I guess "if resources go missing" means when they are no longer available but should be.  This assumes that we had the journal in the first place.  When and how it went missing are still a mystery.  I'm not convinced that it was on a new install as you suggested, but I don't have an answer to how else it might have happened.  I'm sure you can understand that when so many of us have invested so much in Logos over the years, that we get a little edgy when resources seem to disappear for unknown reasons.  I'd be happy to hear any other suggestions...

Thanks again for your response so far.

Page 2 of 2 (39 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS