Creating my own translation?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2
Ashley Horton | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 2 2013 3:37 AM

I'm doing some translation work and I'd love to be able to create my own Bible translation.

That is, I'd like to be able to create a document in Logos that:

1. I can edit in Logos

2. Links up to other translations and commentaries so that they scroll together nicely.

I'm aware of the Personal Books, but I'd like to be able to edit the document regularly and have it act like any other translation in Logos.

Is there a way to do this?

Posts 18876
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 2 2013 4:03 AM

Ashley Horton:
I'm aware of the Personal Books, but I'd like to be able to edit the document regularly and have it act like any other translation in Logos.

That's precisely what you can do with Personal Books. You edit them as a Word document, and then you just rebuild them (a quick click of a button in Logos) after you've made any changes. If you set the Type to "Bible" it will work just like any of your other translations, link up to other Bibles and commentaries, etc. You have to do some work in the tagging of the PB as you create it so that the verse numbers work and all that, but others who have done Bibles can help you with this. Look at the examples of other PB bibles that people have posted (http://wiki.logos.com/User_Contributed_Personal_Books) to see how to set it up.

And see http://wiki.logos.com/Personal_Books for further instructions.

Unfortunately you can't edit them in Logos (though you can add notes to them just as you can with other Logos resources, however I'm not sure the notes will stay anchored to the right position in the text if you edit the document and add stuff before the point where the note is attached, because it might be attached based on the character offset from the beginning of the chapter or something like that). Why is it so vital that you be able to create the document and edit in Logos? Do you not have Word or is your facility with it not great? Logos is a poor editing environment for rich text. It's OK for basic stuff, but it really isn't meant to be a word processor.

Posts 25736
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 2 2013 4:08 AM

Ashley Horton:

That's the advantage of PB's because you have to edit & compile the source document which is a Word docx file. When it is compiled as a bible you have a resource that acts like a Logos edition bible. See http://wiki.logos.com/Personal_Books

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 2575
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 2 2013 4:56 AM

Do NOTES stay fixed if you re-build a PB Bible? [I don’t know but you can quickly find out by trying it – become a Logos mad scientist and experiment!]

So [just to add my thoughts near the beginning of this thread] if You, as the Logos mad scientist, find that notes stay fixed when the PB Bible is re built end of problem.

But what if the notes don’t stay?  Then instead of adding notes in Logos use a Word docx file and after building your own translation of the Bible write your own commentary on the Bible in Word as a docx file and bring that into Logos as a PB.  [it is not hard, even I have done it, but others are better able to tell you how [review the Logos wiki] ]  [just put what your were going to add as notes into the Word document and import it as a PB Commentary]

And, Ashley Horton, Welcome to the Logos forums.  [[also there are some PB Bibles and Commentaries on this forum - What I did was take one of them and replace their text with my text]]

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 2 2013 8:57 AM

Ashley Horton:
I'm doing some translation work and I'd love to be able to create my own Bible translation.

That is, I'd like to be able to create a document in Logos that:

1. I can edit in Logos

2. Links up to other translations and commentaries so that they scroll together nicely.

Is there a way to do this?

Welcome to the forums Ashely.  As Rosie stated, this is one of the functions that we can do in a PB.  If you do not have MS Word, there are other programs that can create a .docx file.  Trust me; you do not want to edit a document the size of a Bible in Logos.  The text editor that they are currently using cannot handle the a document the size of a Bible. 

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 2 2013 4:53 PM

David Ames:
Do NOTES stay fixed if you re-build a PB Bible?

Notes attached by Bible Verse Reference can refer to same verse after PB Bible provided PB Bible rebuild still has verse reference.

Suspect notes attached by selection would depend on selection still being in PB Bible after rebuild.  Highlighting is a variation of attaching a note by selection.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2
Ashley Horton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 2 2013 5:48 PM

Thanks for that everyone.

I have a PB with all the right tags, but I was just hoping that there was a smooth way to edit a single word quickly from within Logos.

Now I know that there is not a better way, I'll continue.

Thanks again.  I know I'm going to enjoy this forum.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 3 2013 3:57 AM

Ashley Horton:

Thanks for that everyone.

I have a PB with all the right tags, but I was just hoping that there was a smooth way to edit a single word quickly from within Logos.

Now I know that there is not a better way, I'll continue.

Thanks again.  I know I'm going to enjoy this forum.

FYI... Editing within Logos is an area that Logos needs to improve.  I know that they are working on a text editor, so hopefully a lot of their issues will go away with the new editor.

Posts 68
Dan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 30 2018 3:27 PM

So this post is from 2013. Have any improvements been made since? Is there a better way of doing this now? Will LibreOffice work if I don't own Microsoft Word (I don't on any personal computer)?

Posts 28358
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 30 2018 4:00 PM

Dan O'Day:
Will LibreOffice work if I don't own Microsoft Word

LibreOffice will work to create a .docx file (a requirement of the "personal book builder), however:

Dan O'Day:
I don't on any personal computer

The PBB tool is desktop only (Windows or Mac). 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS