Read Aloud

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Dec 4 2009 8:59 AM

I'm sure it has been asked, but I didn't want to go "hunting" for it.

Is there a website(s) that has free downloads to replace the default voice for windows?  It doesn't read very clearly and is a bit annoying.

If not free where can I purchase some?  Are they expensive?

Thank you!

Posts 320
John Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 9:37 AM

I don't know of any free ones. If they are free, they probably will not be very good since anyone that is half-way decent that I've found is pretty expensive.

You can buy some herehttp://www.naturalreaders.com/

But they are expensive (or at least they are to me).

However, these won't read in the Logos program, I don't think. But you can copy the text from logos and post it into the reader program and listen that way (and record it to mp3).

Personally, I think it is worth the money because I always have a lot of articles to read but not enough time to read them. This way, I just paste the pdf article (or whatever) into the program and make an mp3 and listen on my way to work or at work.

[P.S. The site I gave gives a free version, but like I said, the voice isn't any better than the default one already available on Windows (in fact I think it uses the same voice if I remember correctly). You have to buy the different (better) voices elsewhere on the site.]

perspectivelyspeaking.wordpress.com

Posts 98
Henry Finkle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 9:57 AM

Invofox desktop has good sounding voices. You have to buy it if you like it, but they do have trial version available for download. I really like the British Peter voice. This program works with every program that I've tried it with, except Logos4. It works in Libronix3 though.

You can give it a try if you like. The trial works for 30 days I think.

Here is the link

http://www.acapela-group.com/download-infovox-desktop-text-to-speech-demo.html

Posts 320
John Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 10:23 AM

It looks like Invofox uses voices from acapela. You can find the same voices on the Natural Readers program I linked to.

You might want to do a comparison of both to see who has a larger selection of voices, is cheaper, and their capabilities. For example NR is compatible with voices from acapela as well as AT&T and some other companies. I'm not sure if Invofox is.

perspectivelyspeaking.wordpress.com

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 2:34 PM

Thank you both for your help!  Much appreciated.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS