Page 7 of 7 (130 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7
This post has 129 Replies | 15 Followers

Posts 2088
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 25 2020 6:16 PM

Old Testament Change Log:

Various Formatting Changes

Added a new heading for Septuagint Studies

The following works have been removed from the new list:

Waltke, Bruce K.  An Old Testament Theology:  An Exegetical, Canonical, and Thematic Approach.  Zondervan, 2007.  A great conservative Evangelical journey through the Old Testament. 

Carroll R., M. Daniel, ed.  Rethinking Contexts, Rereading Texts: Contributions from the Social Sciences to Biblical Interpretation.  JSOT Sup 299.  Sheffield Academic Press, 2000.  Collection of essays on OT and NT sociological approaches, highlighting method with a variety of applications to specific texts.

Perdue, Leo G., et al.  Families in Ancient Israel.  Westminster John Knox, 1997.  One of the few studies on this subject, a very useful source of reliable information.

Rogerson, John W.  Anthropology and the Old Testament:  The Biblical Seminar.  JSOT Press, 1984.  Documents the misapplication of anthropology in Old Testament studies.

Levison, John R., and Priscilla Pope-Levison, eds.  Return to Babel:  Global Perspectives on the Bible.  Westminster John Knox, 1999.  Fifteen contributors from Africa, Asia, and Latin America examine five passages from the Old Testament and five from the New from a liberation perspective.

Pixley, Jorge.  Biblical Israel:  A People's History.  Fortress, 1992.  The application of a sociological approach in order to present the history of Israel as one of peasants' struggles against oppressors.

Albertz, Rainer.  A History of Israelite Religion in the Old Testament Period  (OTL).  2 vols.  Westminster John Knox, 1994.  This detailed study uses a classic liberal reconstruction of the history of Old Testament literature with interaction with recent discussions and discoveries.

Stavrakopoulou, Francesca, and John Barton, eds.  Religious Diversity in Ancient Israel and Judah.  T & T Clark, 2010.  A representation of views on Israelite religion, emphasizing European scholarship.

Motyer, J. Alec.  The Prophecy of Isaiah:  An Introduction & Commentary.  InterVarsity, 1993.  Attention to textual details within the literary structure of the book.  Evangelical.

The following works have been added to the new list:

*Greer, Jonathan S., John W. Hilber, and John H. Walton eds.  Behind the Scenes of the Old Testament: Cultural, Social, and Historical Contexts.  Baker, 2018.  A thorough series of 66 short chapters on many aspects of history and society.

*Hoyland, Robert G. and H. G. M. Williamson eds.  The Oxford Illustrated History of the Holy Land.  Oxford, 2018.  An excellent survey by various scholars with outstanding color images.

*Noonan, Benjamin.  Advances in the Study of Biblical Hebrew and Aramaic: New Insights for Reading the Hebrew Bible.  Zondervan, 2019.  Applies current linguistic research in Hebrew to the interpretation of the Old Testament.

Aitken, James K. ed.  T&T Clark Companion to the Septuagint.  Bloomsbury, 2015.  A critical and comprehensive introduction to each book of the Septuagint. 

Penner, Ken M., Rick Brennan et al. eds.  The Lexham English Septuagint.  2nd edition.  Lexham, 2019.  A useful translation of Codex Vaticanus, without reliance on existing English transltions of the Old Testament. 

*Porter, Stanley E., Richard S. Hess, and John Jarick eds.  Septuagint Commentary Series.  Brill, 2005-present.  The first English attempt to produce a literary commentary on the Septuagint text, with special focus on Codex Vaticanus.  Thirteen volumes have appeared.

Bird, Michael F.  1 Esdras.  Septuagint Commentary Series.  Brill, 2012.

Croy, N. Clayton.  3 Maccabees.  Septuagint Commentary Series.  Brill, 2006.

deSilva, David A.  4 Maccabees.  Septuagint Commentary Series.  Brill, 2006.

Glenny, W. Edward.  Amos.  Septuagint Commentary Series.  Brill, 2013.

Adams, Sean A.  Baruch and the Epistle of Jeremiah.  Septuagint Commentary Series.  Brill, 2014.

Gurtner, Daniel M.  Exodus.  Septuagint Commentary Series.  Brill, 2013.

Olley, John W.  Ezekiel.  Septuagint Commentary Series.  Brill, 2009.

Brayford, Susan A.  Genesis.  Septuagint Commentary Series.  Brill, 2007.

Glenny, Edward W.  Hosea.  Septuagint Commentary Series.  Brill, 2013.

Walser, Georg A.  Jeremiah.  Septuagint Commentary Series.  Brill, 2012.

Auld, A Graeme.  Joshua.  Septuagint Commentary Series.  Brill, 2005.

Glenny, Edward W.  Micah.  Septuagint Commentary Series.  Brill, 2015.

Littman, Robert J.  Tobit.  Septuagint Commentary Series.  Brill, 2008.

Cook, Stephen L.  Ezekiel 38-48: A New Translation with Introduction and Commentary.  Anchor Yale Bible 22B.  Yale, 2018.  Complete the AB commentary on Ezekiel begun by the late Moshe Greenberg.

Included links for the following works that are now available for download:

*Heim, Knut M.  Ecclesiastes: An Introduction and Commentary  (TOTC).  IVP, 2019.  Arguing a Hellenistic date, this Evangelical commentary provides solid exegesis to navigate the difficult waters of this book.

New Testament Change Log:

The following works have been added to the new list:

*Hixson, Elijah and Peter J. Gurry, eds.  Myths and Mistakes in New Testament Textual Criticism.  Downers Grove: IVP. 2019

Merkle, Benjamin.  Exegetical Gems from New Testament Greek.  Grand Rapids: Baker, 2019.

*Wright, N. T. and Michael F. Bird.  The New Testament in Its World: An Introduction to the History, Literature, and Theology of the First Christians.  Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2019.

*Stuhlmacher, Peter.  Biblical Theology of the New TestamentGrand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2018.

Heilig, Christoph, J. Thomas Hewitt and Michael F. Bird, eds.  God and the Faithfulness of PaulMinneapolis: Fortress, 2017.

Wolter, Michael.  The Gospel according to Luke, 2 vols.  Waco: Baylor University Press, 2016-17.

Keener, Craig S.  Romans (NCCS).  Eugene, OR: Cascade, 2009.

Oakes, Peter.  Galatians (Paideia).  Grand Rapids: Baker, 2015.

Bray, Gerald L.  The Pastoral Epistles (ITC).  New York: T & T Clark, 2019.

*Hutson, Christopher R.  1 and 2 Timothy and Titus (Paideia).  Grand Rapids: Baker, 2019.

*Edwards, Dennis R.  1 Peter (SOGBC).  Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2017.

Bateman, Herbert W.  Jude (EEC).  Bellingham, WA: Lexham, 2017.

Ngewa, Samuel M.  The Epistles of John (NCCS).  Eugene, OR: Cascade, 2019.

The following works have been removed from the new list:

Greenlee, J. Harold.   Introduction to New Testament Textual Criticism.   2nd ed.  Peabody:  Hendrickson, 1995.

Thielman, Frank.  Theology of the New Testament:  A Canonical and Synthetic Approach.  Grand Rapids:  Zondervan, 2005.

Porter, Stanley E. and David Tombs, eds.  Approaches to New Testament Study.  Sheffield:  Sheffield Academic Press, 1995.

Longenecker, Richard N.  Paul, Apostle of Liberty.  2nd. ed.  Grand Rapids:  Eerdmans, 2015.

Levine, Amy-Jill and Ben Witherington III.  The Gospel of Luke (NCBC).  Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2018.

Thielman, Frank S.  Romans  (ZECNT).  Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2018.

Baker, William R.  2 Corinthians  (The College Press NIV Commentary).  Joplin, MO:  College Press, 1999.

Schreiner, Thomas R.  Galatians  (ZECNT).  Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2010.

Witherington, Ben, III.  Grace in Galatia:  A Commentary on Paul’s Letter to the Galatians.  Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1998.

Thielman, Frank.  Ephesians  (BECNT).  Grand Rapids:  Zondervan, 2010.

Collins, Raymond F.  1 & 2 Timothy and Titus:  A Commentary  (NTL).  Louisville:  Westminster John Knox, 2002.

Ngewa, Samuel.  1 & 2 Timothy and Titus  (ABCS).  Grand Rapids:  Zondervan, 2009.

Neyrey, Jerome H.  2 Peter, Jude  (AB).  New York:  Doubleday, 1993.

Charles, J. Daryl.  “2 Peter,” “Jude” in Expositor’s Bible Commentary, vol. 13:  Hebrews-Revelation.  Rev. ed.  Grand Rapids:  Zondervan, 2006.

Donelson, Lewis R.  I  & II Peter and Jude  (NTL).  Louisville:  Westminster John Knox, 2010.

Added links to the following volumes that are now available for download:

Keener, Craig S.  Christobiography: Memory, History, and the Reliability of the Gospels.  Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2019.

McKnight, Scot.  1 Peter  (NIVAC).  Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1996.

*Blomberg, Craig L.  The Historical Reliability of the New Testament.  Nashville: B&H, 2016.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 2088
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 21 2020 5:15 AM

1731.OT2020_1_0.docx

6505.NT2020_1_0.docx

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 2088
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 21 2020 5:16 AM

Changes in OT2020.1.0

Included links for the following works that are now available for download:

Kelley, P.  Biblical Hebrew:  An Introductory Grammar.  Eerdmans, 1992.  Continues and updates the Weingreen approach to learning Hebrew.  [2nd ed. Available].

*Noonan, Benjamin.  Advances in the Study of Biblical Hebrew and Aramaic: New Insights for Reading the Hebrew Bible.  Zondervan, 2020.  Applies current linguistic research in Hebrew to the interpretation of the Old Testament.

Penner, Ken M., Rick Brennan et al. eds.  The Lexham English Septuagint.  2nd edition.  Lexham, 2019.  A useful translation of Codex Vaticanus, without reliance on existing English transltions of the Old Testament. 

Gottwald, Norman K.  The Politics of Ancient Israel  (Library of Ancient Israel).  Westminster John Knox, 2001.  Survey of political theory and archaeological findings applied to a critical reconstruction of the history of Israel.  An important work by a pioneer in the field.

Miller, Patrick D.  The Religion of Ancient Israel.  Westminster John Knox, 2000.  A study of many important topics of Canaanite and Israelite religion.

Shao, Joseph Too, and Rosa Ching Shao.  Ezra and Nehemiah  (ABCS).  Asia Theological Association, 2007.  Exposition that works to interface the biblical text for the Christian church within Asian realities.  Evangelical.

Added links to the following volumes that are now available on Pre-Publication:

Aharoni, Yohanan, Michael Avi-Yonah, Anson F. Rainey, and Zeev Safrai, eds.  The Carta Bible Atlas.  Macmillan, 2002.  A standard atlas that provides individual maps for many significant Bible events.  [The Fifth Revised and Expanded Edition is available].

*Rainey, Anson F. and R. Steven Notley.  The Sacred Bridge. Carta's Atlas of the Biblical World.  Carta, 2006.  [The 2nd ed. is available].  Synthesizes both a comprehensive history of the Levant and a geographical study of the region, with the focus on the land of Israel during the biblical period.  A more user friendly abridgement has appeared, Carta’s New Century Handbook and Atlas of the Bible.  Carta, 2007.

Changes in NT2020.1.0

Added links to the following volumes that are now available for download:

Wasserman, Tommy and Peter J. Gurry.  A New Approach to Textual Criticism: An Introduction to the Coherence-Based Genealogical MethodAtlanta: SBL, 2017.

Merkle, Benjamin.  Exegetical Gems from New Testament Greek.  Grand Rapids: Baker, 2019.

Evans, Craig A. and David Mishkin, eds.  A Handbook on the Jewish Roots of the Christian Faith.  Peabody: Hendrickson, 2019.

*deSilva, David A.  Introducing the Apocrypha2nd ed.  Grand Rapids:  Baker, 2018.

*Klein, William W., Craig L. Blomberg and Robert L. Hubbard, Jr.  Introduction to Biblical Interpretation.  3rd ed.  Nashville:  Zondervan, 2017.

Added links to the following volumes that are now available on Pre-Publication:

*______________.  The Theology of Paul the ApostleGrand Rapids:  Eerdmans, 1998.

Posts 2286
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 21 2020 7:33 AM

Thanks again!

Posts 2088
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 21 2020 8:11 PM

GaoLu:

Thanks again!

No problem!

Posts 2088
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 13 2020 7:07 AM

2620.OT2020_1_1.docx

No New Testament Changes, so if you have already built the NT2020_1_0 file, then you don't need to redo this one.  The file is included here for convenience:

3718.NT2020_1_0.docx

Posts 2088
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 13 2020 7:08 AM

Changes in OT2020.1.1

This version includes corrections and updates to editions of resources.  The editions changed are listed below:

*Carson, Donald A.  NIV Bilbical Theology Study Bible.  Zondervan, 2018.  With contributions by more than sixty Evangelical scholars, the introductions, notes, and special essays focus on biblical theology.

Aharoni, Yohanan, Anson F. Rainey, Michael Avi-Yonah, Zeev Safrai, and R. Steven Notley.  The Carta Bible Atlas.  Fifth Revised and Expanded Edition.  Carta, 2011.  A standard atlas that provides individual maps for many significant Bible events.

*Rainey, Anson F. and R. Steven Notley.  The Sacred Bridge. Carta's Atlas of the Biblical World.  2nd ed.  Carta, 2014.  Synthesizes both a comprehensive history of the Levant and a geographical study of the region, with the focus on the land of Israel during the biblical period.  A more user friendly abridgement has appeared, Carta’s New Century Handbook and Atlas of the Bible.  Carta, 2007.

Kelley, Page H. and Timothy G. Crawford.  Biblical Hebrew:  An Introductory Grammar.  2nd ed.  Eerdmans, 2018.  Continues and updates the Weingreen approach to learning Hebrew.

Newsom, Carol A. Sharon H. Ringe, and Jacqueline E. Lapsley, eds.  The Women's Bible CommentaryRevised and Updated Edition.  Westminster John Knox, 2012.  A one volume feminist commentary on the entire Bible.  Each entry has a bibliography for further reading.

Alexander, T. D.  From Paradise to the Promised Land:  An Introduction to the Pentateuch.  3rd ed.  Baker and Paternoster, 2012.  An Evangelical and theological survey of the Pentateuch.

Smith, Gary V.  Amos:  A Commentary  (Library of Biblical Interpretation).  Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1989.  Solid exegesis with attention to theological concerns. Evangelical.  [This volume is available in a Revised and Updated edition under, Smith, Gary V.  Amos (Mentor Commentaries).  Fearn, Ross-shire, Great Britain: Mentor, 1998].

No New Testament Changes

Posts 2088
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 21 2020 7:02 AM

6253.OT2020_2_0.docx

6864.NT2020_2_0.docx

Posts 2088
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 21 2020 7:05 AM

Yes, I am bored.

In versions OT2020.2.0 and NT2020.2.0 I have finished going through all resources unavailable in Logos and linked them via a special note at the end of the entry to their Kindle page if available there.

I also added the following available resource link which I had somehow missed in the past:

*Tamfu, Dieudonné. 2 Peter and Jude (ABCS). Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2018.

Posts 2088
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 31 2020 6:05 PM

8030.OT2020_3_0.docx

3223.NT2020_3_0.docx

These editions correct the headword classifications/levels which were affecting the organization of the tables of contents.  I also changed the formatting of the headwords to make them more representative of the original document's format. 

Page 7 of 7 (130 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 | RSS