Why I am a happy Logos user:

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 22 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 6961
Forum MVP
Super.Tramp | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 2 2013 9:38 PM

I just have to thank Bob Pritchett for creating the world's best Bible study software Smile  Thank you Bob!

And I just have to thank Dan Pritchett for so many creative sales, so many I can't take advantage of  them all. Surprise Thanks Dan

I want everyone who claims they pay too much for their Bible software resources to know I have averaged less than $5 per book in putting together a wonderful library that includes prime titles: NICOT/NICNTHermeneiaAnchor Yale BibleCalvin 500Charles Spurgeon Collection, and free titles including Perseus. It can be done with enough patience and diligence.

Thank you to all the Logos employees in all departments for the great job you do. I can't wait to see how 2013 unfolds. Stick out tongue

Posts 2110
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 2 2013 9:46 PM

Great post!  Well said, and applies to me, too.  Yes

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 16410
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 2 2013 10:10 PM

Super Tramp:
I have averaged less than $5 per book

Praise God for that and your attitude. It's certainly a better way of looking at things than saying "I've invested Thousands in resources".

Dave
===

Windows PC, Android phone

Posts 3515
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 2 2013 11:05 PM

Dave Hooton:

Super Tramp:
I have averaged less than $5 per book

Praise God for that and your attitude. It's certainly a better way of looking at things than saying "I've invested Thousands in resources".

LOL Well, I don't have much problem telling people I've spent over $17K on my Bible software, even though I am always careful not to say it when they are drinking hot coffee. Eyes always bulge and they look at me like I'm a crazed monk. I have to admit, that is a huge amount of money...but I have a huge number of resources.

To be honest, Logos is pretty much like my wife. I love it and spend the majority of my time with it...but in certain important ways I wish it would change..and from everything I can gather, it has no plans to do so. Stick out tongue  Still, we've been together for almost 15 years and I don't see that ever changing.

Wilted Flower

Posts 3515
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 2 2013 11:15 PM

deteted

Posts 121
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 2 2013 11:33 PM

I have invested around $3 per book, and thousands in total. A happy user, anyway. Still wondering how I will explain this to my wife so that she will stay happy.

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 1549
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 3 2013 3:20 AM

Together with the pre-pub orders which I will most likely not cancel and ongoing Community-pricing collection bids, I've invested $2,601. It's ~880 unhidden resources, of which more than 181 volumes of commentaries I don't use.

So totally, the resources I might use that are unhidden, have cost me ~ $4 a volume. Now, I'm not a pastor and not studying to become a pastor, just going to take several Gk classes and study 1½ years Theology full-time (probably going to do much of all this part-time), so many of these ~699 volumes will go unused.

I'm very happy with the price, functionality, and what titles are available. The importance of the latter is that Logos has almost all quality titles!

I haven't bought only cheap books. The most expensive item I bought cost ~ $200, it's an intermediate Gk training video - I will save it for the future, I'm not an a that advanced level yet. I've also bought Hermeneia, two ICC titles, 3 Believer's Church Bible Commentary titles and want to buy more of these (except perhaps not ICC), and many more things.

Logos also has own quality production and I've happily bought some of those, such as Greek Apocryphal Gospels, Fragments, and Agrapha, by Rick Brannan .
Last but not least, I'm buying additional Anabaptist resources for closer to $400 in addition to BCBC.

This was my 400th post. Congratulations, Super Tramp, to Your post it was Your 5000th! You are helpful and wise!

~1,480inclprint trulyergonomic.com
8Gtabl
laptops 8G: late'12 EliteBook W8.1 4threads HDD; '12Q1 HP 1366*768 15.6" '13 hybrdisk; '09 4GB 11.9" '12SSD
desktops: '09 8G W8.1 Core2Quad Q9300 HDD; '06 3GB PentiuD; W2000 Pradis justNIVACJn

Posts 1264
JimT | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 3 2013 4:17 AM

I have more books in Logos than I could ever read in a lifetime. However, in a sense, I use ALL OF THEM when I do some of the searches looking for answers, ideas or direction on various topics or themes.

Not sure I dare say how many books Ihave, or what they cost all up, but maybe only $2 or $3 each. I have many computer books on dead-tree on my book shelves that cost $100 or more. 

A 5 or 10 year old computer book is mostly junk, but a 50 year old book on Scriptures written 2000 or 2500 years ago can still be of great value, and life changing!

Anyone reading some of my posts will know that I wish Logos the company and Logos the software did some things a better / different / my way, but overall I get something I consider to be of (lasting) value.

Thanks Logos.

Posts 3694
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 3 2013 4:29 AM

Super Tramp:

I just have to thank Bob Pritchett for creating the world's best Bible study software Smile  Thank you Bob!

And I just have to thank Dan Pritchett for so many creative sales, so many I can't take advantage of  them all. Surprise Thanks Dan

I want to add my "amen" to that.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 8362
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 3 2013 11:20 AM

Veli Voipio:

I have invested around $3 per book, and thousands in total. A happy user, anyway. Still wondering how I will explain this to my wife so that she will stay happy.

Tell her you have invested just $3 per book, but DO NOT tell her how many resources you have Big Smile Think of creative ways to deflect that question, such as: When she asks "How many?", you can reply, "Not quite enough" Geeked 

NOTE: Let me know if that will work, as I do not have the intestinal fortitude to try it with my Bride—and we have been together over 50 years Big Smile

My library costs $3.39 per resource Cool

Posts 3694
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 3 2013 11:35 AM

Jack Caviness:

Veli Voipio:

Tell her you have invested just $3 per book, but DO NOT tell her how many resources you have Big Smile Think of creative ways to deflect that question, such as: When she asks "How many?", you can reply, "Not quite enough" Geeked 

NOTE: Let me know if that will work, as I do not have the intestinal fortitude to try it with my Bride—and we have been together over 50 years Big Smile

What a great strategy Jack. It made me wonder what my cost per resource was so I checked. If I am adding it up correctly it is $1.44 if I include all my free resources. Wink This may be somewhat misleading because I'm not sure how my Libronix resources are calculated in that number when I look at my order history. The order history for me only goes back to June 2008.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 8362
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 3 2013 11:52 AM

Bruce Dunning:
The order history for me only goes back to June 2008.

Mine goes back to 2003, but does not include purchases from Nelson, Joy, Galaxie, etc. So my cost per volume is probably closer to ST's, but $3.39 sounds better. Either way, I consider it money well spent.

Posts 3694
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 3 2013 11:55 AM

Jack Caviness:

Bruce Dunning:
The order history for me only goes back to June 2008.

Mine goes back to 2003, but does not include purchases from Nelson, Joy, Galaxie, etc. So my cost per volume is probably closer to ST's, but $3.39 sounds better. Either way, I consider it money well spent.

That's strange that my history only goes back to 2008 since I have been a Logos customer for 20 years or so. I think that I might be missing items too but it is difficult to cross-reference.

Posts 146
Colin Cameron | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 3 2013 12:34 PM

Bruce,

I've been a Logos customer for a similar length of time. I just assumed that the sales were kept on a different system before this date and never migrated over. I might not have the biggest library but I certainly have more books than I will ever read (which is also true of my print-based library). I've never worried (sometimes wondered but never worried) that some resources I might have paid for twice (I used a different email address when I first set up my account with Logos.) Being a former software developer, I'm more than happy to invest a couple of hundred dollars a year in new resources to help pay for the software upgrades. I just wish more people (i.e. the members of my congregation) would purchase L4/5/... and have their understanding of the scriptures deepened by it.

Peace & Blessings,

Colin+

P.S.: My order history says I've spent $1650.19 and I have 2658 resources. While the cost doesn't include my set of Luther's Works and my Kolb version of the Book of Concord, I'd say I'm at around $1 per book based on what I can remember paying for them.

Posts 6961
Forum MVP
Super.Tramp | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 3 2013 1:44 PM

Veli Voipio:
A happy user, anyway. Still wondering how I will explain this to my wife so that she will stay happy.

My wife just wants me to be happy.  So to keep her happy I must keep buying Logos books, thus keeping everybody happy Stick out tongue

Posts 6961
Forum MVP
Super.Tramp | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 3 2013 2:00 PM

Jack Caviness:
So my cost per volume is probably closer to ST's, but $3.39 sounds better. Either way, I consider it money well spent.

My wife, Nina, has 2526 books counting Perseus That comes out to 20 cents per book average cost If you remove the freebies (Vyrso, Perseus, and Logos freebies) it comes to about $1 per book  Maybe I ought to put her in charge of buying my resources   Or maybe not Devil

Posts 3694
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 3 2013 3:59 PM

Super Tramp:
My wife, Nina, has 2526 books counting Perseus That comes out to 20 cents per book average cost If you remove the freebies (Vyrso, Perseus, and Logos freebies) it comes to about $1 per book  Maybe I ought to put her in charge of buying my resources   Or maybe not Devil

I checked your "happy" post and that was from two years ago! Is it still the case today?

Maybe she should buy your resources. What would be the problem with that? Wink

Posts 6961
Forum MVP
Super.Tramp | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 3 2013 4:09 PM

Bruce Dunning:
Maybe she should buy your resources. What would be the problem with that? Wink

I upgraded her to Scholars and I bought her several resources in Community Pricing. She downgraded back to Bible Study base package and gave the CP titles to my father. She is easily contented. 

She would likewise be easily contented with not expanding my library, if she were in charge. (Are you crazy, Bruce?! Why fix it if it ain't broke?) Surprise

Bruce Dunning:
I checked your "happy" post and that was from two years ago! Is it still the case today?

I'm happy to report she is still of the same mind. YesCool

Posts 21
Richard Milbrandt | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 3 2013 5:13 PM

I enjoy the many great Bible study resources I have with Logos Bible Software, version 5.  I also like to read the comments in the forums, so that I can get ideas on how to make better use of the Logos Bible Software.  I use Logos almost every day.  Thank you all.

Posts 3694
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 3 2013 8:50 PM

Super Tramp:
She would likewise be easily contented with not expanding my library, if she were in charge. (Are you crazy, Bruce?! Why fix it if it ain't broke?) Surprise

You are a blessed man!

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS