Marketing Suggestion for L6

Page 2 of 2 (34 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 33 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 55
Rick Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 5 2013 10:04 AM

To me 85% of the issues were communication based and the remaining 15% were customer perception based.  I love Logos and admire the company and people in it but in this case, to be objective, I'd have to give them a C- on explaining the upgrade in an easily understable manner.  That easily happens when people who are right in the middle of things explain a program to people who have no idea of what is going on, assumptions are made.  I personally think they should have engaged some real cutomers to preview the web site and get input before going live.  It took me  a fair bit of effort and tracking down information to fully understand what was being offered. It wasn't all that difficult understand but, Logos just did a bad job getting the full story out in a cogent fashion. 

My suggestion would be to start introducing people to new upgrades several months before it is released.  Features, advantages, upgrade paths etc so people know what is coming and if it is a major release like L5, can plan to take advantage of the offerings.  There might be some good competitive reasons not to do this, but I think the advantages would out weigh the disadvantages.

The customer perception part, mainly the buzz people felt in owning certain packages, "I'm a platinum package user," probably should have been anticipated by Logos.  In reading the comments it is obvious that it was pride driving it and there is a part of me that want's to say, grow up.  Then again I don't own Logos, so I wouldn't advise doing that.  In the end, it is just a name, but obviously that is real important to some people so it is well worth protecting that perception among customers.  . 

Posts 812
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 5 2013 11:57 AM

Kenneth McGuire:

As messed up as the role-out was, the suggested solution would not really help much, IMHO.  Logos 5 was evidently designed to use new data sets.  You want the early users to see this new functionality and start buzzing about how the rest of us should upgrade.  Eventually this is happening.

But the first day!  Releasing it when the web page was not available was a mistake.  It left the impression that no one knows what is going on.

Then there were all the complaints about how much it would cost to stay with my collection, and the many reminders that you keep your old books, no matter what new collection level you are at.  As an Original Languages Library person, dropping this package from the lineup was quite a disappointment.  The system suggested Bronze to me, but it would add a LOT of (IMHO) fluff that I don't want and Basic would have limited new functionality...

Yup!  Everything he said!

Cynthia

Romans 8:28-38

Posts 3089
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 5 2013 12:24 PM

Randy W. Sims (Shayne):
I wondered at the time, when the forums were flooded with complaints, if just changing they way it was presented wouldn't have made a difference?

No. Absolutely not.  Some people are going to complain, no matter what.

As one of my high school teachers used to say, many, many years ago- 'If I gave you people a hundred dollar bill, you'd complain if it was wrinkled!'

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 3089
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 5 2013 12:27 PM

JRS:
Victimization, hubris, and hyper-sensitivity are skills that readily morph into addictions. 

Whether it applies in this case or not, this statement is a truism of Biblical proportions.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Posts 3089
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 5 2013 12:29 PM

Bruce Dunning:
It seemed to me that the complaints were unprecedented.

You must not have been around for the L3 to L4 transition.  They weren't unprecedented.

I wasn't around for older-than-L3 transitions.  They were probably just as complaint-heavy.  Though, that was back in the days of the BBS bulletin board, with no forums, so the attacks on Logos weren't as public as now.

Posts 3089
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 5 2013 12:30 PM

tom:
What mad L4 so bad was that L4 was not a usable product (IMHO) was about year and a half later.

You got ripped off, Tom.  Mine worked from day 1.

Posts 3089
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 5 2013 12:40 PM

Rick Williams:
to be objective, I'd have to give them a C- on explaining the upgrade in an easily understable manner. 

Now this explanation has some merit, from my perspective.  While I do think Logos explained the upgrade, I'm not sure they did a great job of anticipating how we groundlings out here would understand (or not) the explanations. As Rick explained in his post, this isn't hard to screw up if you are in the middle of a culture that has become detached (for whatever reason) from their market.

I know why they didn't introduce the upgrades a few months out (as Rick suggested they do); it would have had the effect of making people who were about to buy L4 put off the purchase until the release of L5.  From a business perspective, that makes sense. From the perspective of the customer, it is frustrating. But the product belongs to the business that creates it, not the customer-in-waiting.

Overall, there's a lot of folks nitpicking and finger-pointing who still put their money on the counter for the software.  So I'd say all these marketing 'mistakes', while possibly improvable, aren't really that big a deal after all. I'm happy with what I have, confusion with the upgrade and all.

Posts 41
Todd Beall | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 5 2013 5:43 PM

You may be correct, but the original poster's idea is good--and in fact is designed to help Logos in the long run. So I think your post is misguided here. And I for one agree with the OP's thoughts--he is presenting helpful suggestions for the future, not "blasting Logos."

Neither Logos nor its users are perfect, right? The original poster is (in my view) simply offering a very helpful suggestion.

Posts 41
Todd Beall | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 5 2013 5:46 PM

Oops--in my previous post, I was trying to reply to JPS's post (cited below):

I'd bet that Logos could pay every person $20 to install L6, give them free resources and a new computer, and then send a tech to their house for a month to personally assist them in learning the new software ...

and there would still be whiners running to the forums to publicly blast Logos. 

Victimization, hubris, and hyper-sensitivity are skills that readily morph into addictions.  Forgiveness, humility, and tolerance are hard

I apparently haven't figured out how to reply to individual comments!

TSB

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 5 2013 5:56 PM

Todd Beall:

You may be correct, but the original poster's idea is good--and in fact is designed to help Logos in the long run. So I think your post is misguided here. And I for one agree with the OP's thoughts--he is presenting helpful suggestions for the future, not "blasting Logos."

Neither Logos nor its users are perfect, right? The original poster is (in my view) simply offering a very helpful suggestion.

Correct. In no way was I blasting Logos. Shortly after L5 hit, I plunked down the money for it and have been extremely satisfied with my upgrade. In fact, if my CC wasn't so full, I'd go ahead and upgrade to a higher base package than what I went for (Platinum, would probably go for Diamond if I could).

And my suggestions may not be perfect or foolproof either. I was just pondering it over the other day, and after seeing more negative postings on L5 even now, I wanted to come up with a few suggestions that might help Logos in the future. Just something for the Logos folks to ponder over when they do eventually hit L6 that could benefit them.

Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://focusingonthemarkministries.com

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 5 2013 5:58 PM

David Ames:

Nathan Parker:

Here's a couple marketing suggestions for the next major Logos version (Logos 6 or whatever it'll be called) that might alleviate some of the negative feedback/pain in the future.

Well thought out suggestion.  But if only they had told us the entire plan prior to day one.  Some might complain that they did not get to join for free on day one but if they had known when the free engine was going to be available it would have helped. 

Yes, shipping to the ones that order first first makes sense but if they took orders for a week and shipped to the ones that paid most first would also work [[those are the ones that pay for the free stuff for the rest of us]] just as long as we knew the total plan. 

Absolutely. I think clearly knowing the total plan at all times would go a long way in soothing people. Their FAQ's and blog posts were well written about L5. The problem is they came a little too late after L5 was launched. Putting them before or during the launch and giving us all the facts at once would have been a major help.

Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://focusingonthemarkministries.com

Posts 5430
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 5 2013 10:57 PM

SUMMER!

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 297
Schezic | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 5 2013 11:11 PM

David Paul:

SUMMER!

During rut? !!!

Posts 33739
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 6 2013 12:26 AM

Doc B:
why they didn't introduce the upgrades a few months out

I suspect there are many reasons but there is one obvious reason that hasn't been mentioned that is very common in the industry. Marketing set a delivery date based on unveiling at a major expo and being out for the big sales dates - academic year, fiscal year, tax year etc. The features to be included was undecided up to the last minute - development delivered as much as they could, beta testing forced some features to be withdrawn, what was left became the release of a new, upgraded product.

I can't prove that is what happened, but it is so common in the industry that I give it better odds than any other theories offered in the last 2 1/2 months.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 2 of 2 (34 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS