Do I need to Backup Logos?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 113
Samuel | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jan 6 2013 7:07 PM

The question says it all. I backup my Mac using Time Machine every week or so. Plus, I use Backblaze to constantly backup all my data. Given that Logos can always download my resources and notes and highlights are synched, is there any reason to backup all the Logos files to Backblaze? The only thing i would lose if everything crashed would be any books I've built with PBB, right?

Posts 27768
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 6 2013 7:19 PM

Samuel Clough:
The only thing i would lose if everything crashed would be any books I've built with PBB, right?

In principle, yes. Personally, I use Drop Box to sync my .docx files. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 25030
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 6 2013 11:33 PM

Samuel Clough:
Plus, I use Backblaze to constantly backup all my data. Given that Logos can always download my resources and notes and highlights are synched, is there any reason to backup all the Logos files to Backblaze?

No. I would only backup the resources as you can then recover Logos via http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_Multiple_Macs#Copy_Logos_Resources_to_Mac_OS_X

The Time Machine weekly backup would also be a feasible recovery for Logos if you can selectively recover folders/applications (otherwise it's only useful for  recovery of the complete machine).

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 113
Samuel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 7 2013 4:15 AM

alabama24:

I also keep all my teaching notes and working documents on Dropbox for instant backup and accessibility.

Posts 113
Samuel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 7 2013 4:16 AM

Dave Hooton:

The Time Machine weekly backup would also be a feasible recovery for Logos if you can selectively recover folders/applications (otherwise it's only useful for  recovery of the complete machine).

Yes, Time Machine lets you pick a folder or file from any date it has a backup for in addition to a complete recovery.

Posts 10574
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 7 2013 5:58 AM

Samuel Clough:
Yes, Time Machine lets you pick a folder or file from any date it has a backup for in addition to a complete recovery.

Have successfully used Time Machine to recover from some of the early L4 Beta releases, but have not needed it lately. Could probably use it to recover something more specific. Would probably need to recover the file/folder while offline, then make a minor modification prior to allowing Logos to synch with the cloud. That way, Logos should not overwrite the recovered file.

Posts 25030
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 7 2013 2:31 PM

Jack Caviness:
Could probably use it to recover something more specific. Would probably need to recover the file/folder while offline, then make a minor modification prior to allowing Logos to synch with the cloud. That way, Logos should not overwrite the recovered file.

Recovery of individual document types (e.g. Notes) from backup can result in a much bigger problem, so I don't recommend it! Logos is moving slowly toward user recovery of deleted documents (via https://documents.logos.com) but they can usually recover documents manually. Restoring the Documents folder (or the Logos folder) from backup still has its problems because of sync but this sometimes happens because of necessity e.g. rollback on PC or recovery of whole machine; which is why recovery from a weekly backup won't be as much of a problem as recovering from a monthly backup.

My strategy is to recover Logos from a resource backup and let it sync all my documents. If you have to recover the machine (including Logos), I would immediately uninstall Logos and then install it from a backup of resources.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 8 2013 10:07 AM

alabama24:

Peace, Justin!             *smile*                          Are you using the free Drop Box program?              I wonder about the viability of Drop Box as an extra backup for me of my family pictures.  It seems a lot of people are using Drop Box for a number of reasons.

Also, congratulations to the Crimson Tide for last evening's  great victory!                     Number One, eh????       *smile*         Roll Tide!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 173
Wesley Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 8 2013 12:45 PM

In all honesty the only thing that I would think that backup would be helpful for would possibly be the books. and not out of fear of losing them simply because of all that time I remember having so much fun downloading all my resources and I only had the Leaders Library at the time! So someone with a much more extensive one than that probably spent much much more time than I did with a computer on all night at a friends house downloading books!

However I don't know that I am able to give a good enough opinion as I see you have a mac and I have a pc. Smile

Posts 167
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 9 2013 7:32 AM

download for me I only have 8.14 gb Scholar edition among a couple ebible series/ Thomas Nelson collection the pain is indexing seems to take me close to 24hrs lol 

Posts 10574
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 9 2013 8:53 AM

Randall Lind:
the pain is indexing seems to take me close to 24hrs lol 

Should not take that long in L5 unless your machine is underpowered.

Posts 27768
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 9 2013 9:01 AM

Jack Caviness:
Should not take that long in L5 unless your machine is underpowered.

+1

You might also check your hard drive space… How much free space do you have? (You are on PC, right?)

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS