Rejoice Christian Software out of business?

Page 4 of 7 (125 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
This post has 124 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2013 9:50 AM

John:

I would also continue spending to upgrade Logos if they could present a bug-free package that was ready for market. I'm not interested in being a perpetual beta tester.

Has Microsoft produced bug-free software?  How about Apple?

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2013 11:08 AM

David Ames:

And there are free versions of Bible Software available.

Question: what version was given away for free to all takers from day one? I know organizations that give out free bibles but they cost the organization.

Would the Faithlife Study Bible qualify ?   http://faithlifebible.com/    
Posts 19321
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2013 2:45 PM

George Somsel:
Has Microsoft produced bug-free software?

I'm pretty sure Notepad is bug-free.

Posts 397
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2013 4:23 PM

Super Tramp:

Do you get paid to program?                         So much for free source. 

Congratulations on missing the point yet again Big Smile

You seem to have a rare talent in that area Yes

Posts 397
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2013 4:32 PM

abondservant:

John seems to have a lot of anger invested against Logos

I do not know if it will do any good or not, but I did report your post. You might be immature enough to think that revealing someone else's personal information on this forum is a clever thing to do, but I am guessing that Logos as a company will consider their privacy policy more important than your childish behavior.

I do not know if you are a Logos employee or are just getting information from one, but however you obtained it, it was an illegal action.

And for the record, there is no need for you to call me friend. Your actions have spoken much louder than your words.

Posts 397
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2013 4:45 PM

George Somsel:

Let me guess George, you are going to say that because there are bugs in those companies software that this excuses the Logos software from being bug free?   That wasn't hard to guess Cool
Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2013 5:35 PM

John:
In the long run the only model that will "win" is free and open source. And that is as it should be. Nobody can "own" the scriptures.

When I see free and open source programs providing WBC with the free package I'll be very excited!

John:
And if I did take on such a project, I can assure you it would be rock solid and bug free before any "new feature" ever got added.

John:
I am a programmer and I have the technical ability. And if I did take on such a project, I can assure you it would be rock solid and bug free before any "new feature" ever got added.

Being a programmer does not make you a businessman and when you are talking about the cost of resources the business side is at least as important as the programming side. I would be willing to wager that if you produced a truly competitive program to Logos it would not be free.

John:
But why reinvent the wheel? If I want well written commercial Bible software, there is Bibleworks and Wordsearch.

No doubt about it Bibleworks is great software if it meets your needs. Personally I find the menu and icon structure to be way too complicated. It's been a while since I've used Wordsearch but wasn't too fond of it when I did.

John:
And if I want a free package there is eSword and many others.

It is great to have a product like eSword available to those whose needs are met by it. However I would point out that it charges money for some translations of the Bible.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2013 5:36 PM

Rosie Perera:

George Somsel:

But that was written on the Ark. 

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2013 5:41 PM

John:

George Somsel:

Let me guess George, you are going to say that because there are bugs in those companies software that this excuses the Logos software from being bug free?   That wasn't hard to guess Cool

I intended for it to be easy to guess since I wanted to be sure that even you would understand.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 397
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2013 5:56 PM

Halo Hound:

It is great to have a product like eSword available to those whose needs are met by it. However I would point out that it charges money for some translations of the Bible.

eSword charges a fee for certain Bible translations where the publishers require it. But the ESV is free along with many others. You will not see eSword charging a fee for translations that are available free elsewhere. See what I mean?

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2013 6:13 PM

John:
See what I mean?

Yes, I do. How much is the Lexham English Bible with eSword? NKJV with eSword is $14.99, Logos is $10.00. I am in no way trying to raise questions about eSword's practices. 14.99 may have been the best deal they could work out with the publisher. I have absolutely no doubt about eSword's character. I also trust Logos. If I did not appreciate the capabilities Logos gives me I would not pay for the product. I understand you believe differently and I respect that. I don't necessarily respect the manner in which you state it, but I do respect the fact that you believe Logos is not a good value.

Posts 19321
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2013 6:49 PM

George Somsel:

Rosie Perera:

George Somsel:

I hadn't heard of that computer before. What OS did it run? Was it before the Univac?

Or did you mean it was written in Arc?

Posts 397
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2013 7:03 PM

George Somsel:

I intended for it to be easy to guess since I wanted to be sure that even you would understand.

Never been a problem understanding. I have always understood your positions, just disagreed with them Cool

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2013 8:02 PM

John:
Congratulations on missing the point yet again Big Smile

Umm, let's see.

1. Straw man #1:  high cost of Bible unlocks.  Dealt with.
  2. Straw man #2: buggy software.   Dealt with.
  3. Straw man #3: bad business model.  Dealt with.

Ohhh,  It is that open source banana pudding again. Now we see.  The grapes were probably sour anyway.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2013 8:59 PM

John:
... I am a programmer and I have the technical ability. And if I did take on such a project, I can assure you it would be rock solid and bug free before any "new feature" ever got added.

Logos is hiring software developers => http://www.logos.com/jobs/SoftwareDeveloper

Wiki has => http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_Speaks with links to various threads that include release early and often.

John:
But why reinvent the wheel? If I want well written commercial Bible software, there is Bibleworks and Wordsearch. And if I want a free package there is eSword and many others.

Wonder about Bible Software alternative to Visual Filter Highlighting in Logos 4/5 that can combine hundreds of searches for simultaneous display of morphological tagging in English and Greek resources ?  For example, Mathew 6:9-13 has seven verbs in the imperative mood.  Matthew 6:3, 6:16, and 6:19 have imperative mood verbs that are preceded by negation.  Thankful can see range of verbal expression in Logos 4/5:

Apologies: personally not know how to highlight negation before an imperative mood in Libronix 3 => http://community.logos.com/forums/p/67388/470148.aspx#470148  In Logos 4/5 can use a proximity search: @BN BEFORE 1 WORD @V??M

John:
The important thing to watch is the growing number of FREE resources available on FREE platforms like eSword.

Please keep watching the growing number of FREE resources for FREE Logos Bible Software use.  Thankful for 2,122 FREE resources in my Logos 5 and Logos 4 installations.  Perseus collections have 1,743 resources.  Logos offers a FREE monthly resource => http://www.logos.com/free-book-of-the-month  Vryso has offered 365 FREE ebooks, which recently included John Piper's Preparing for Marriage: Help for Christian Couples => http://vyrso.com/product/30856/preparing-for-marriage-help-for-christian-couples

Noticed Vyrso now has over 11,000 eBooks available.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2013 9:11 PM

Rosie Perera:

George Somsel:

Rosie Perera:

George Somsel:

I hadn't heard of that computer before. What OS did it run? Was it before the Univac?

Or did you mean it was written in Arc?

I have it on good authority that Japheth was the programmer on that project.  Wink

george
gfsomsel

Posts 4155
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2013 11:29 PM

John:

abondservant:

John seems to have a lot of anger invested against Logos

I do not know if it will do any good or not, but I did report your post. You might be immature enough to think that revealing someone else's personal information on this forum is a clever thing to do, but I am guessing that Logos as a company will consider their privacy policy more important than your childish behavior.

I do not know if you are a Logos employee or are just getting information from one, but however you obtained it, it was an illegal action.

And for the record, there is no need for you to call me friend. Your actions have spoken much louder than your words.

Actually, I clicked on your profile, and looked back at your posts... Most of them are quite negative. The reason I started was because I thought I remembered you from the l5 roll out causing troubles. Turns out I did. I also saw that you used your real name as your forum handle. since you freely supplied the information, to a public site, nothing illegal. any way, I am done. Also, I should point out, that a quick google search of your name in conjunction with programmer, would reveal your linkedin account. One might be able to find out the name of your "software" company - I did so just to ensure I do not now, nor in the future do business with You on accident. 

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 397
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 15 2013 3:18 AM

abondservant:

Actually, I clicked on your profile, and looked back at your posts... Most of them are quite negative. The reason I started was because I thought I remembered you from the l5 roll out causing troubles. Turns out I did. I also saw that you used your real name as your forum handle. since you freely supplied the information, to a public site, nothing illegal. any way, I am done. Also, I should point out, that a quick google search of your name in conjunction with programmer, would reveal your linkedin account. One might be able to find out the name of your "software" company - I did so just to ensure I do not now, nor in the future do business with You on accident. 

Last night after reporting your post I found the "leak" of personal information. I was also able to find out quite a bit about you, including your real name. Unlike yourself, I am not so immature as to post it here publicly, as I can see that you changed your real name to a nic.   And you are a huge liar in your statement that I "freely provided the information to a public site". As I recall when I first created an account on the forum it defaulted to your real name, and then I had changed it. I have never posted on this forum using my real name. As the Logos software has bugs, so the Logos forum has privacy holes in it. Privacy holes so big that any idiot is able to see your real name. And what idiots CAN do, as we all know, idiots WILL do. Thank you for demonstrating.   The purpose of this forum is to discuss Logos software. And as much as you might not like it, that is what I was doing here in this thread. Even in my responses to your personal attacks, I stuck to the topic. After reading some of your posts in other threads, it is clear that discussing Logos software is not your primary purpose for being here.   And I see that you have boasted about digging up peoples personal information in other threads. It is interesting that you are engaging in this type of behavior while at the same time calling yourself a Christian of some sort. Must be one of those "Christian in name only" denominations where personal behavior does not have to change. Yes you are a bondservant all right. But obviously not to any God taught in my Bible.   As to your last jab about not doing business with me, I hardly think that you would ever be in a position to hire me. You can't afford it.   I will await the Logos response to my complaint. If they address your action on here, then I will know that they are sincere in their privacy statement.    
Posts 397
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 15 2013 3:33 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Logos is hiring software developers => http://www.logos.com/jobs/SoftwareDeveloper

Thanks for the tip, this one made me smile. But I know they would never hire me after complaining about their software so much Big Smile   Besides, I do C and C++, and I believe .NET is morally and technologically devoid of the right to exist. I avoid programming fads. I stick with the tried and true. For Windows I still use MFC. Even for new projects. You can't develop bugfree and reliable software if the platform itself isn't.  
Posts 4155
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 15 2013 7:11 AM

You do indeed have posts under that name. My name is freely available to anyone who chooses to look. With my name, you can find my domain address, and with my domain my former mailing address is also discoverable. *shrug* tis the way of the internet. I Ken Baker - have nothing to hide.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Page 4 of 7 (125 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS