How do you organize your Bible Notes?

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 99
Richard Kingston | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 15 2013 5:35 PM

In Logos 5, how do people organize their Bible Notes? I am thinking more of the structure, rather than the mechanics of how to do it. At the moment I have all my notes are under "Bible Notes" just the one folder, organized by the Bible reference. Does anyone do anything different? 

Posts 4777
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 15 2013 5:43 PM

I have one for each book of the Bible. My notes are short, similar to what you would find in a study Bible. That is what notes was designed for. IMHO

Everything ever written or spoken in Religion, formatted for Logos Bible Software. Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 307
Jack Hairston | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 15 2013 8:16 PM

What Lynden said.

Posts 99
Richard Kingston | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 16 2013 7:50 AM

Thanks Jack and Lyndon.

Now I do need to ask a technical question. I can see how to create a new notebook. But, it seems to me that these note books are then arranged horizontally as tabs, rather than vertically in the pane (similar to folders in Outlook or File Explorer.

Do the Logos search tools allow searching across all the folders or just in specific folders? At the moment with everything in my "Bible Notes" folder, I can search all notes in one go.

Any screenshots available.

Many thanks for your help for a new user.

Richard.

Posts 318
Bob Deacon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 16 2013 8:00 AM

Richard,

I have begun a system exactly like those of Lynden's and Jack's with the exception that for the smaller numbered books I have only one file. (for example, 1 & 2 Thessalonians is one book as well as  1,2,3 John)

Bob Deacon

MacBook Pro, OSX Mountain Lion

Posts 99
Richard Kingston | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 17 2013 8:09 AM

Bob, how do you create additional notes folders and have them display on the left vertically? I can only get mine to display horizontally as "tabs". With all the books of the Bible, that's just impractical. Can you create folders within the Bible Notes folder? Any help greatly appreciated.

Posts 10117
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 17 2013 8:29 AM

Hi Richard

Richard Kingston:
how do you create additional notes folders and have them display on the left vertically?

I do this by using Favorites - see http://wiki.logos.com/Favorites for some background (in particular the section on "Adding a link to a note"

If you then have one - or more - notesfiles per book you can easily access them.

So I have a Favorites folder called "Bible Books" and within that I have a link to a number of notesfiles as shown below

Hope this helps

Graham 

Posts 10117
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 17 2013 8:32 AM

Hi Richard

Richard Kingston:
Do the Logos search tools allow searching across all the folders or just in specific folders? At the moment with everything in my "Bible Notes" folder, I can search all notes in one go.

The Basic search includes all of your notes files (and any Personal Books you may have created as well)

Graham

Posts 99
Richard Kingston | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 17 2013 8:38 AM

Graham. Many thanks indeed. I am in your debt. That is a great help. Thank you.

Posts 10117
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 17 2013 9:01 AM

Hi Richard

You are welcome - and no debtsSmile

It is a pleasure

Graham 

Posts 323
Doug | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 17 2013 9:54 AM

I do something similar to what Graham does, except I make a folder for each book and keep the notes file, any relevant clippings files, and whatever else is relevant to the study of the book.

Posts 8848
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 17 2013 10:05 AM

Richard Kingston:

In Logos 5, how do people organize their Bible Notes? I am thinking more of the structure, rather than the mechanics of how to do it. At the moment I have all my notes are under "Bible Notes" just the one folder, organized by the Bible reference. Does anyone do anything different? 

I dump all of my notes into the main documents folder.  While some are notes on specific topics, most are linked to the biblical text.  In those cases they are generally designated by book and chapter so that if I want my notes on Re 4 I simply type "04" into the "Open" field to bring it up.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 934
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 17 2013 10:13 AM

This topic would actually make a great Wiki article, if you had someone who could creatively write it.

I'm sure there are systems of note keeping that are WAAY outside any paradigm I've considered, and I'd love to have a place these various diverse ideas could be logged so I could get some more ideas about how to change things around if they aren't working like I want.

Sometimes I'm my own biggest obstacle because I don't think outside the box; and this is usually because I don't there's a box to begin with.

"Lighten up, Francis." - Sgt. Hulka

Posts 10117
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 17 2013 10:17 AM

Doc B:
This topic would actually make a great Wiki article, if you had someone who could creatively write it.

The article at http://wiki.logos.com/Favorites#The_power_of_Favorites is useful - it also contains some links to some good videos.

Not saying it is complete but some very useful insights.

Posts 2946
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 17 2013 10:22 AM

Richard Kingston:

While I do not have L5, I do have L4.  And not much has changes between L4 and L5 as it comes to notes.

I have over 200 note files (or what you call note folders).  Because I use the RCL, Most of my notes are linked to the texts of the RCL, and each note file has unique information.  For an example, I have notes about relating the text to youth, I have notes about original languages, I have notes about Bible studies, and I have notes with sermon starting ideas.  I also divide everything up into year a, year b, and year c.  Therefore, I have Worshiping With Children - Year A, Worshiping With Children - Year B, and Worshiping With Children - Year C note files as an example.

I also have our hymnals in my note files, and each hymnal has its own file.

I also have various devotional note files, and each type of devotion has its own file.

Yes, I have a lot of note files (folders), and I have a lot of notes (they take up over half of a Gig on my hard drive).

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS