Preparing for a total system restore.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 173
Wesley Crouch | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jan 17 2013 11:01 AM

I have windows 7 64 bit and Logos 5, I have had my laptop for a while now and the fact that it has been getting a tad slower than it used to be one or two programs have "stuck" at one point or another the computer was getting fragmented on the C drive and while i defragmented that drive no problems the System is 29% fragmented so I fear I will have to do a full Restore which means I may have to re-install programs, I am trying to get an Idea of what I will need to have ready what I will need to know how to get things back up and running what I will have to download, etc.

I thought I would get your advice before I did anything drastic!

Posts 25030
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 17 2013 11:57 AM

Wesley Crouch:
the computer was getting fragmented on the C drive and while i defragmented that drive no problems the System is 29% fragmented

Can you explain why you can defragment and still end up with 29%? If the "System" is on another drive what files does it contain and why cannot it be defragmented?

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 173
Wesley Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 17 2013 12:22 PM

That one escapes me! I defragment get all fragmenting off c drive but the system says it is at 29% fragmented. I tried to defragment the system and in less than half a second it tells me it shows 29% again. I only have one drive! and I don't know what is wrong!!

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 17 2013 12:42 PM

Wesley Crouch:

That one escapes me! I defragment get all fragmenting off c drive but the system says it is at 29% fragmented. I tried to defragment the system and in less than half a second it tells me it shows 29% again. I only have one drive! and I don't know what is wrong!!

I've been using a little program called MyDefrag that works well and better (IMHO) than the defrag program that comes with Windows. It gives a variety of options for defragging, so be sure to read the documentation and choose the option that will work best for you. The 29% remaining could include files in use, and the system cache, but that's a pretty high number to blame just on that.

One other thing that may help speed things up is CCleaner. It can get rid of temp files that Windows leaves behind, as well as empty the browser cache(s), and can also clean up and optimize your registry (use with caution and be sure to back up the registry changes first - an option provided in the program). I try to run CCleaner before defragging. CCleaner has some other tools to use to clean things up a bit - but like any software utility: use with caution (always backup before making changes).

It almost goes without saying that malware can cause these symptoms too. Be sure to do some thorough scans with an anti-virus and/or anti-malware program.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 148
OMykeO | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 17 2013 2:20 PM

If you really want to see what’s happening on your hard drive search for Ultimate Defrag and download their free trial. You will see just how the index files in Logos get put on your hard drive.  Whenever I do an update I look to see how it spreads the file on the hard drive.  That is why I have a separate partition for Logos.  Makes for easier optimization and the program does work better and faster.

I also like CCleaner as mentioned in a post.

Also check out WinASO for their trial

Ultimate Defrag is powerful and VERY INTERESTING!!

Posts 55
Glenn F | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 17 2013 4:36 PM

I thought on Windows 7 that using 3rd party Defrag tools actually caused more problems and that you were supposed to let the OS handle this exclusively. At least thats what I remember from when Windows 7 first came out. Have things changed? Because my laptop which is o ly a few months old and 3rd Generation I7 Ivy Bridge is getting very slow for disk activity. They did cheap out and put a 5400 M drive in there but I guess that was the only way to plug a 1TB drive in.

So do I need to still use a different Defrag than just Win 7?

HP DV7-3085dx Laptop, Intel i7 @ 1.6 Ghz, 6 Gigs of DDR3 memory, GeForce 230M Video with 1 Gig memory, 500 Gig HD, 17" Display, Windows 7

Scholars Platinum.

Posts 25030
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 17 2013 4:53 PM

Glenn F:
So do I need to still use a different Defrag than just Win 7?

For better control and results, Yes!

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 25030
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 17 2013 5:04 PM

Richard DeRuiter:
One other thing that may help speed things up is CCleaner. It can get rid of temp files that Windows leaves behind, as well as empty the browser cache(s),

Also use Win 7's own Disk Cleanup  (type the name into the Start menu Search box). When its window opens click on Clean up system files, as that gives other options for "Files to delete"  and a new tab "More options".  On that tab select Clean up under "System Restore"!

In "Files to delete" you might save several GB of un-needed system files.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 173
Wesley Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2013 10:25 AM

I may be worried about nothing here but i did decide to show what it is that is bothering me I can get the c disk defragmented to 0% all others except the system disk.

Posts 25030
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2013 11:20 PM

Wesley Crouch:
I may be worried about nothing here but i did decide to show what it is that is bothering me I can get the c disk defragmented to 0% all others except the system disk.

I believe that is the "System Reserved" partition which is quite small (about 100 MB) and only contains boot information for the OS.. It is unusual being 28% fragmented, but it may be too small to be defragmented which accounts for your lack of success. I wouldn't be concerned because the main C: drive is OK.

"HP_Tools" is a recovery partition put there by the computer manufacturer so you can reload their tools/software, possibly the OS as well.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 25030
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2013 11:30 PM

Dave Hooton:
It is unusual being 28% fragmented, but it may be too small to be defragmented which accounts for your lack of success.

You can find out more if you right click Computer, select Manage, then Disk Management. Report the Capacity, Free Space & %Free (as below)

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 173
Wesley Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 20 2013 8:04 AM

Okay, here is a try at computer management - See what you can get from this -- I clicked up Disk management and this is what I got!

Posts 25030
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 20 2013 1:10 PM

System partition is healthy, which is always good! If it can't be defragged so be it (28% may be one large file with 2 fragments as opposed to many files being fragmented). Don't be concerned as it rarely gets written.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS