Indexing taking a long time...

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 28
Tito | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Dec 5 2009 6:51 PM

I've been using Logos 4 (Platinum LE) in my Mac Book Pro (unibody 4gigs of Ram, Intel Core 2 Duo  2.4 GHz) and for the last three days keeps indexing. I have left the computer all night and sometimes during the day doing the indexing stuff and it doesn't stop. Is this normal? I have seen in the forums that for some people it's taken 15 hours others only 5 hours of indexing but I would say in my case it's been more than 24 hours and keeps indexing... Thanks in Advance:)

Posts 47
John A. Murphy, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 5 2009 6:56 PM

What type of connection do you have to the internet?  I have cable and it still took a couple of hours (I think- I actually left to do errends and when I got back it was done).  If your on dial up you might go to a public library or a place where you can get high speed access and it shouldn't take that long.

That's my experience.  I hope it was helpful.

Posts 16
Daniel Norwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 5 2009 7:02 PM

What alpha version are you using?  I am using Alpha 5.  I had the same trouble you are having in an earlier alpha release.  Make sure you are using the latest alpha.  After downloading alpha 5, I left my computer overnight to download and index resources.  When I got up both indexing was finished.

I am Logos Gold user.

Posts 28
Tito | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 5 2009 7:06 PM

Thanks for the quick response. I'm connected at 5 MB download/512Kbps uploads. I think it's pretty decent. it's the fastest available in my area.

Posts 28
Tito | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 5 2009 7:08 PM

Hello there:

Yes I'm using Alpha Pre-Release 5. Thank you for your answer.

Posts 698
LogosEmployee

JoseCabanAviles:

Yes I'm using Alpha Pre-Release 5. Thank you for your answer.

In the About dialog, there's a number like 4.0.3.3537 in parentheses after the label "Pre-Release Alpha 5". What is that?

Also, what does the indexer status tooltip say when you hover over the indexer icon in the menu bar?

And finally, it would be great if you could upload your Indexer.log so we can see what is going on. I can index Platinum in less than 15 hours on less-capable hardware, so we'd love to know what is going on with your machine.

Director of Engineering for Enterprise and Operations

Posts 28
Tito | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 7 2009 12:40 PM

Hi Cameron,

Thanks for your response. In the about dialog this is the number I have 4.0.3.3537. The indexer says Logos Bible Software is indexing your Library (20:02 remaining). I'm not sure where to go to get the indexer log, but I'll try to find it.  I upgraded to Portfolio LE so I know it should take longer than usual but still it seems like every time it does the indexing it's taking from 23 to 20 hours all over again... Thanks again.

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 7 2009 1:21 PM

JoseCabanAviles:
I'm not sure where to go to get the indexer log, but I'll try to find it.
Use the "Mac Alpha" link in my signature.  That takes you to the Alpha FAQ and at the bottom is the info on reporting bugs.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 698
LogosEmployee

JoseCabanAviles:

I upgraded to Portfolio LE so I know it should take longer than usual but still it seems like every time it does the indexing it's taking from 23 to 20 hours all over again... Thanks again.

If indexing is never allowed to complete fully at least once, it will restart, from scratch, every time until it is able to do so. For Portfolio, this could take 5-20 hours depending on available CPU/RAM resources. For instance, the 15 hour time I mentioned above was with only the indexer and essential OS components running (I left it overnight while I slept and then until just after lunchtime the next day). If you're running your regular compliment of apps while it's indexing, it'll certainly take longer than 15 hours.

We're continuing to work on reducing indexing times. We realize that 15-20 hours, while much better than the 40-100 hrs we were seeing in the initial Alpha builds, is still a long time.

Posts 28
Tito | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 7 2009 2:54 PM

Got it. Thanks Cameron and Joe. I believe that's been my problem, unfinished indexing times. 

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 7 2009 4:32 PM

Cameron Watters:
If indexing is never allowed to complete fully at least once, it will restart, from scratch, every time until it is able to do so.
Cameron, I thought the mac alpha had incremental indexing implemented?  Is it no longer working?

Posts 698
LogosEmployee

Joe Miller:

Cameron, I thought the mac alpha had incremental indexing implemented?  Is it no longer working?

Incremental indexing refers to the ability to incrementally add index data for new resources to an existing index. If you shutdown your computer or cancel indexing or quit the indexer by some other means prior to the completion of the initial indexing cycle, there is no existing index to which it can add new resources.

So, incremental indexing is beneficial when new resources are added (e.g. upgrades, individual resource purchase or prepubs shipping). However, you always need to allow at least the initial indexing process to finish.

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 7 2009 5:19 PM

thanks for clarifying my misunderstanding :-)

Posts 88
Rus Howard | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 7 2009 6:12 PM

Joe,

Do you have any idea how log it takes the Mac version to "prepare your library."  I have the Leader's Library, plus additional resources from Mac 1.2.2.  The Logos 4 Alpha 5 has been "preparing my library" for 7-8 hours now.  Is this unusual?  Is my system hung-up? Or do I need to be patient and let the computer work through the night?  Thank you for your help.

Rus Howard

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 7 2009 9:10 PM

Hi Russ,

That is a realistic time for a first time index.  You can check by hovering your ouse over the small blue logos icon in the menu bar.  That will tell you what L4 is doing.  Check back in a couple hours and see if it has made progress.  If not, it might be hung up.  In which case, you can post your logs here and someone can tell you if there is an error.  I do not recommend stopping it though on your own as this will just require the whole indexing process to start from the beginning.

Posts 10812
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 8 2009 2:51 AM

Joe Miller:
I do not recommend stopping it though on your own as this will just require the whole indexing process to start from the beginning.

I stopped indexing when it appeared to be hung up and submitted the logs. Tom Philpot of Logos informed me that indexing was still in progress and was at 28%. If you submit your log files, Logos can tell if it has frozen or not.

Posts 88
Rus Howard | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 8 2009 5:05 AM

Joe and Jack,

Thank you for your help.  After sitting overnight, there is no change on my computer.  Logos 4 says it is preparing my library.  I have noticed two things per your instructions.

1.  When I hover my mouse over the Logos icon in the menu bar on my Mac, it does not show me anything - nothing about preparing the library or indexing.

2.  When i when to find a logging file under the Library - Application Support files as Tom indicated I do with the instructions below, there was not a file for Logos under Application Support in my Library.

(1) Turn on Logging  Grab the attached nlog.config file and place it in Library/Application Support/Logos4/Logging under your home folder. Rename the file to nlog.config (replacing any existing file). 5670.nlog.config  This will put a couple of files into that directory every time you run the app: Indexer.log and Logos4.log.

Might this be an indication that there is a problem.  If so, should I delete the Logos 4 application, upload the file from Logos again, and try again.  Or should I simply shutdown Logos 4 and try to restart it to see what happens. Again, your help is appreciated. Rus Howard
Posts 10812
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 2:38 AM

RusHoward:
Or should I simply shutdown Logos 4 and try to restart it to see what happens.

I would try that before I went to the extreme of uninstalling and reinstalling.

Posts 88
Rus Howard | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 5:54 AM

Jack, Joe, and Bob,

Thank you for all your words of wisdom in this updating process, downloading my expanded Platinum Library, and getting it indexed properly.  Through your collective wisdom i was able to navigate the process.  As of 6 AM today the process is complete, just in time to allow me to focus on Sunday's sermon.  Thank you for the help.  

Rus Howard

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 4:20 PM

You are welcome brother.

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS