The Move to Logos 5

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 186
Gerald Rodgers | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jan 20 2013 5:32 AM

Hi Folks

Just want your thoughts on what is happening with Logos at the moment trying to encourage us to move on to Version 5. When I think back to moving up to the same level in Logos 4 it cost me quite a lot of money to upgrade. I actually had to pay the debt off over a 12 month period and that was difficult enough. As I look back I'm not altogether sure it was good value for money. Even what Logos call "BIG" discounts for upgrading to Logos 5 still cost a lot of money, money I suspect many of us in the ministry no longer have.

Nevertheless I am now faced with the same situation again where more money is required to update. My first question is - is this the way it is going to be each time Logos decide to move again possibly from version 5 to 6? I'm not altogether convinced that it's right to move for the sake of moving. But at this particular time what about those of us who just can't afford the move and that includes the present writer? There is only so much money to go around and it's getting scarcer here in the U.K. as the recession is biting big time - by  that I mean that wages have been frozen for the last three years and prices of everyday things are continuing to rise. So there is less money available to spend on books and programs etc. I just wonder does Logos factor these kinds of realities into their plans to move their Bible program on? As a family we find that much as we would like to keep up with what's happening in the Logos world a point has come where we must stay where we are & hope that Logos doesn't decide to no longer support Logos 4. Will it become the case that a future Logos program will only be affordable for those with money as it  looks to be the case that the recession is to last for the next five years at least. Where will that leave Logos as it seems to me their customer base will dwindle as they continue to require more & more money for their upgrades. Even the minimal crossgrade is going to cost 70 dollars.

Any thoughts you would like to share would be greatly appreciated.

Gerald                                                                                                                                                                                          

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 20 2013 5:58 AM

I can only speak from my experience.  When L4 came out, I first used the free engine, and then I purchased the cross grade.  I am planning to do the same here if I like the free engine.  For me, the books that they are offering are not worth the cost of the upgrade because I would not use them.

Posts 6710
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 20 2013 6:31 AM

Gerald Tom is on point. Wait until they release the free engine. (Make sure that you have Vista and later). If or when you are able to then get the minimum crossgrade. If not keep using Logos 4.

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 20 2013 12:03 PM

Gerald Rodgers:
... where we must stay where we are & hope that Logos doesn't decide to no longer support Logos 4.

Logos ceased development of Libronix 3.0g in 2009.  Thankful can still download and install Libronix 3.0g => http://www.logos.com/support/logos3/windows  Caveat: All Vyrso eBooks and Logos resources released after 31 Mar 2012 are not usable in Libronix 3.0g so need Logos 4 or Logos 5.

Anticipating Logos 4 being available for download and installation after active development ceases, which has not happened (yet).  Logos 4 can run on Windows XP and OS X 10.5 Leopard while Logos 5 needs newer operating systems.

In the past 5 days, Logos released 4 free program updates: Logos 4.6a SR-6, Logos 4.6b Beta 3, Logos 5.0a SR-4, and Logos 5.0b Beta 3 so all Logos 4 and 5 users had program updates.  Noticed Logos 4.6b Beta 3 included sync v2 for some preferences.

Personal speculation is Logos 4 development to continue while implementing sync v2 in Logos 4 and Logos 5, which may include other new features: e.g. Logos 4.6b Beta 1 added mobile device management of resources to Library.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 25
Agust Valgard Olafsson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 20 2013 1:11 PM

Hi all,

To clarify, will I be able to move to the free Logos 5 engine and keep all my books/resources?

I can't understand this custom upgrade page http://www.logos.com/upgrade - is it trying to get me to buy a Logos 5 upgrade and sell me bunch of books? Is there a way for me to buy the cheapest Logos 5 upgrade and keep all my current books?

Personally - I don't need more books - but it would be nice to be able to upgrade without too much cost to keep the software up-to-date and not having to worry about being left with an outdated software.

Agust

Posts 25
Agust Valgard Olafsson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 20 2013 1:13 PM

For example, http://www.logos.com/upgrade tells me I can buy the starter upgrade for $65. If I do that, will I keep all my current resources?

Agust

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 20 2013 1:16 PM

Agust Valgard Olafsson:

To clarify, will I be able to move to the free Logos 5 engine and keep all my books/resources?

I can't understand this custom upgrade page http://www.logos.com/upgrade - is it trying to get me to buy a Logos 5 upgrade and sell me bunch of books? Is there a way for me to buy the cheapest Logos 5 upgrade and keep all my current books?

Yes.  Logos blog has article on 30 Nov 2012 => http://blog.logos.com/2012/11/5-ways-to-move-to-logos-5/ that includes links: => Logos 5 Minimal Crossgrade and => Logos 5 Core Datasets.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 24484
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 20 2013 1:19 PM

Agust Valgard Olafsson:

Yes, you will

Agust Valgard Olafsson:
I can't understand this custom upgrade page http://www.logos.com/upgrade - is it trying to get me to buy a Logos 5 upgrade and sell me bunch of books?

The options on that page are around different payment options - see http://blog.logos.com/2012/11/5-ways-to-move-to-logos-5/ for a discussion of the options.

Agust Valgard Olafsson:
Is there a way for me to buy the cheapest Logos 5 upgrade and keep all my current books?

Sometime this quarter a free engine-only upgrade will be available. If you don't want any more books or the new features provided with Logos 5 (look at the description of Core Datasets and Minimal Crossgrade in the blog article) then this will give you what you want

Hope this helps

Graham

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 20 2013 1:23 PM

Agust ... you're absolutely correct. Logos IS trying to get you to give them your money.  Otherwise their employees aren't likely to stay with them for very long.

That's also why they document the whole thing on the blog site where most customers don't go.  Or the forums.  (But not the sales force.)

But 'be patient' ... the free Logos5 will soon be released.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 25
Agust Valgard Olafsson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 20 2013 1:31 PM

Thanks - I can see how this work now....

Agust

Posts 1358
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 20 2013 1:38 PM

Agust Valgard Olafsson:

For example, http://www.logos.com/upgrade tells me I can buy the starter upgrade for $65. If I do that, will I keep all my current resources?

Agust

One fundamental that all Logos users should always remember. You never lose resources you have purchased.

Regardless of whether you do nothing or upgrade to the latest version of the Logos engine. If you do not wish to add any more resources, you can either continue to use L3 or L4 or download the free L5 engine when it becomes available shortly.

I think that L5 is a huge improvement. I think the Minimal Crossgrade is well worth the price for the additional datasets needed to get the full benefits of L5.

Every Logos user has to review and evaluate the additional resources that are offered in the different upgrade options to see if the additonal resources are of sufficient value to them. Some are satisfied with Starter and many like the Silver pkg.

I found the upgrade from L4 Platinum to L5 Platinum to be worthwhile for me. Others upgraded to the new L5 Diamond or Portfolio.

It is purely an individual decision. The choice is up to the Logos user as to what is best in their indiviual situation.

Posts 2703
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 20 2013 10:20 PM

I finally figured that when one realizes the potential of Logos on their work, they don't mind paying the price. Logos has totally transformed my study.

I committed the whole deal to prayer and when I decided to go with L4 Scholar, some godly servant paid for it totally. The same thing occurred with my L5 upgrade. I'm humbled and thankful that God has so blessed me beyond what I could think possible. I still have resources I'm paying off, but I know who I serve and He is faithful.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 1686
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 21 2013 4:27 AM

Gerald Rodgers:
Just want your thoughts on what is happening with Logos at the moment trying to encourage us to move on to Version 5.

Hi Gerald

Those of us who live outside the US, need to understand that Logos operates on a US business paradigm. If you think in that framework, their marketing makes sense. You're then free to evaluate whether what they are aiming to get you to do is best for you or not.

For me personally, I created a spreadsheet of the resources I would actually use in the upgrade packages, and decided against them all. But I did want the datasets, so bought the Minimal Crossgrade.

If I'd stayed with Logos 4, I'd still be a happy Logos user. Hopefully this helps you put any marketing pressure you've felt into context, so you can relax and enjoy the quality Bible research library you have.

Posts 325
Rene Atchley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 21 2013 5:12 AM

Another way of looking at it is that the level of program you have now meets your basic needs...hopefully. If so you maybe able to wait it out for a year or two for the bugs and life cycle of the upgrade to advance.  Then purchase the minimum upgrade at a discounted price at some point in the future or a special offer.  I don't think you really loose functionality or new materials that you might need by waiting in most cases.  The difference between 8,000 and 6,500 books on you cyber self is about 1480 you don't use anyway...a guess of course.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS