Topic Guide options are not sorted alphabetically

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 10059
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jan 21 2013 2:53 AM

As the screenshot shows, the options presented in the Topic Guide dropdown are not sorted alphabetically which makes it difficult to find what you are looking for where there are a lot of options

Is there a design reason for this or can it be changed?

Thanks, Graham 

Posts 8461
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 21 2013 3:44 AM

Agree that this list should have better organization, especially when the list is this long.

Posts 777
Brisa Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 22 2013 10:15 AM

I have passed this suggestion on to the Development department. 

Posts 10059
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 22 2013 10:20 AM

Thanks Brisa

Appreciated, Graham

Posts 777
Brisa Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 14 2013 10:13 AM

This sorting order is by design. The suggestions are sorted by importance rank, which has been assigned to each topic. 

Posts 14342
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 14 2013 6:29 PM

Brisa Calderon:
The suggestions are sorted by importance rank, which has been assigned to each topic. 

It's so re-assuring that Logos knows the importance when even I am somewhat uncertain ... and Logos doesn't even know the question I'm trying to answerGeeked Seriously, I do understand why Logos ranks based on probabilities. I just wish they rename it as "most likely" (highest probability) rather than importance rank which implies Logos reads my mind.

Logos4catholics Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 10059
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 18 2013 9:08 AM

Hi Brisa - thanks for getting back to me on this.

Apologies for not acknowledging / responding sooner - I was away for a few days

Brisa Calderon:

This sorting order is by design. The suggestions are sorted by importance rank, which has been assigned to each topic. 

I find this a strange design decision. It would work well if I wanted to use the topic guide to help me with "some important topics about a particular subject" but I normally use the topic guide to find something specific and I need to scan the entire list to see if that specific entry is included.

I would also suggest that the ranking - at least in this case - is strange. The screenshot below shows the top results when I enter the word  "God" into the guide.

Topics which don't appear in the first set include:

• God the Spirit
  • Presence of God
  • Judgment of God
  • Kingdom of God
  • Jesus (son of God)
  • Son of God
  • Names of God
  • People of God
  • Word of God

Personally I would expected these to be ranked higher than:

• God's Conflict with Dragon and Sea
  • God of fortresses
  • Goddess
  • Godless men
  • Godless
  • God Speed

But I would suggest that trying to rank long lists like this one is never going to please everyone which is why I think an alphabetical sorting would be much cleaner.

Can we at least have the option to sort in this way if we want?

Thanks, Graham 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS