Blurry Athelas

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 2
Joe David Parks | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Dec 6 2009 11:41 AM

Help please!  I spent nearly an hour on the phone with Logos Tech Support this week and over an hour with Microsoft Tech Support.  I am looking forward to a call this afternoon to provide escalated MS support.  The font presentation of my resources in Vista Ultimate with Logos v.3 was clear and crisp once I turned off ClearType and unchecked "Smooth edges of screen fonts" & “Smooth-scroll list boxes”, but now with the new versions of the OS and Logos my resources are blurry with bleed through to adjacent pixels.   At first when I installed Windows 7 and Logos4 the fonts presented well, but I seem to recall an update to both products since installation and now yuck!  Doesn't anyone else notice a dramatic difference? The default font in the final release Logos4 (which is supposed to be Athelas according to the beta blog posts) looks to be bold by default.  I don't want the "o"s in my resources to look like furry doughnuts.  The Microsoft Tech tried choosing Segoe UI (default Windows7 menu, etc. font) which looks clearer than “ClearType” Athelas.  That provides a little relief.  There are directions on the web for editing the Registry to completely disable ClearType, but that is scary!  There are also other comments on the web from people with challenged eyesight (like myself) who say ClearType fatigues their eyes.  Mine try to focus on the blurry letters until they water.  I want my resources to present as clear as what I am typing right now.

Can anyone help?  You could be in my will and have either the bulldog or the Corvette (as soon as I get one or the other).

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 6 2009 1:09 PM

Have you tried updating the video card drivers?

Posts 1675
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 6 2009 9:13 PM

We use WPF, which displays text differently than standard Windows and ClearType. We're also experimenting with hinting (which strangely seems to make things worse for Athelas, but may not in the future).

WPF 4.0, coming early next year, will offer more precision in font display, and hopefully let us use hinting with better results, more like in non-WPF programs. 

In the meantime, you might switch to a standard Windows font you like better, using the Program Settings tool.

-- Bob

Posts 33
Vaclav Janca | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 25 2011 2:57 AM

Hi, is there anything new in this situation? Text looks very ugly in Logos 4 on Windows 7.

Thanks.

Václav

Posts 13116
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 25 2011 4:39 AM

There's a variety of reasons why WPF4 is not being used yet (not least because of bugs in it that particularly affect Logos). Could you send a screenshot of your problem?

Posts 33
Vaclav Janca | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 25 2011 5:55 AM

Hello, I have read the comments that explain there are multiple problems with WPF4. I noticed they were of older dates, that's why I ask whether there was any progress.

Here is a comparison of some text  in L4 and the same in Word, both in Win7, Cambria font. I cannot do this comparison with Athelas, since I don't have it available elsewhere in Windows, but the difference is obvious.

Thanks again for working on this,

Václav

Posts 286
Dr. Charles A. Wootten | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 25 2011 7:12 AM

I changed my default font to CALIBRI (L4 under Win-7) a few months ago to make reading easier. Perhaps that might work for you?

I've left the Greek font at Gentium Plus (although I do have a fondness for CARDO), and the Hebrew font at SBL Hebrew. My Program Scaling is at 140% and Resource Panel Background is Windows Default. I've not changed anything else.

{charley}

running Logos Bible Software 6.0a: Collector's Edition on HP e9220y (AMD Phenom II X4 2.60GHz 8.00GB 64-bit Win 7 Pro SP1) & iPad (mini) apps.

Posts 33
Vaclav Janca | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 25 2011 8:06 AM

On this thread, I received some technical info that shows things that Microsoft needs to work on.

Václav

Posts 98
David Saylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 25 2011 8:48 AM

I ended up using Georgia, which I find very eye-friendly.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS