irritating link action between Bible and commentary

Page 2 of 2 (37 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 36 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 19139
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2013 1:02 AM

Scott Sovereign:
This wouldn't happen if Logos were to implement an option for parent/child (or master/slave) linking as is found in competing products.  What I mean by this is that the behavior would be that the "child" resource (in this case the commentary but could be any type of resource) would follow the position of the "parent" resource (in this case the Bible) but changes in position of the "child" resource would have no effect on the position of the "parent" (or other linked) resource.  Of course, you would be limited to having only one "parent" resource for each link set.

Yes

Here's more clamor in the echo chamber.......

Posts 76
Greg M | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2013 5:14 AM

In version 4 I never had this problem.  In version 5 it's a real pain to have the text jump as you start to read it and then have to find where it decided to move to.

This makes me want to go back to version 4.  I should be able to enter a verse and have it come up at the top of the screen with the linked commentary matching as close as it can.

It worked like that every previous version!!!

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2013 6:53 AM

Scott Sovereign:
This wouldn't happen if Logos were to implement an option for parent/child (or master/slave) linking as is found in competing products.

Go vote for Linked Commentaries The current implementation of linked commentaries has some difficulties.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 1244
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2013 12:05 PM

fgh:

I cast a few votes for this. This is something that is greatly needed in Logos! Most users do not need dual linking but rather one way linking from Bible to commentary instead of both Bible to commentary and commentary to Bible. One way linking should be the standard and then an option could be included that would allow someone to choose 2 way linking. Many other Bible software has this ability, and it would be greatly helpful in Logos as the leader in Bible software. It doesn't seem like it would be that difficult of a thing to implement. -Then again, I'm no programmer.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2013 6:40 PM

Liam Walsh:
Most users do not need dual linking

Whatever makes you say that? I use 'dual' linking all the time, but have never felt any particular need for your kind. I don't link between Bible and commentary, I link between Greek/Hebrew and English/Swedish. I need all texts to be at the exact same spot.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 1244
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2013 1:20 PM

fgh:
I link between Greek/Hebrew and English/Swedish.
fgh:
Whatever makes you say that?

Hey FGH, I guess I wasn't thinking of the original language users! (probably because I can't read the original languages!). That makes sense that it would work well for what you are doing. Now I see the use for the dual linking! I mostly use Logos for reading commentaries on the passage that I'm studying.

When I first got Logos I was really disapointed about the inability to one way link because whenever I scrolled my commentary it would lose my spot in my Bible. Since then I keep all my commentaries that aren't verse for verse (but section by section) unlinked, because it ruins linking on my Bible and all my linked commentaries if I have several open. I had the olive tree app on my phone before I purchased a Logos base package and was used to the one way linking from that app. It seems to me though, for reading commentaries, one way linking would be much much better than the current dual linking system.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2013 4:08 PM

That's an interesting point, Liam. I suspect you're probably in the sizable majority (all users; not just forum).  But the linking only works well for the minority. Actually the latter isn't quite true entirely. I keep a string of hebrew lexicons linked and similarly greek. But when I 'touch' one that doesn't have the lemma, everybody looses their place! Grrrrrr.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 76
Greg M | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 21 2013 7:21 PM

Is this ever going to get fixed?  I can't use the link function because when I scroll my bible plane and start reading a few seconds later the linked commentary will make the bible text jump to match the commentary.  This is so frustrating.  I wish I could go back to Logos 4!!!!!!

Posts 29044
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 21 2013 7:30 PM

Greg M:
 I wish I could go back to Logos 4!!!!!!

You can. http://community.logos.com/forums/t/75016.aspx 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 76
Greg M | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 21 2013 7:35 PM

I thought once your library was updated to 5 then you couldn't go back to 4?

Posts 76
Greg M | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 21 2013 7:36 PM

Also will I loose the books I got with 5 upgrade because they're not 4 compatible? 

Posts 29044
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 21 2013 7:44 PM

Greg M:

You can't "update" to L4, but you can certainly go back to L4. You will have to do a clean install. I believe this would include redownloading all resources.

Greg M:

Also will I loose the books I got with 5 upgrade because they're not 4 compatible? 

You will lose the new features of L5, but certainly many/most of the resources purchased with an L5 base package would be compatible with L4. 

[I'm not really suggesting you do this, but you can.]

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 26396
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 21 2013 11:22 PM

alabama24:

Greg M:

You can't "update" to L4, but you can certainly go back to L4. You will have to do a clean install. I believe this would include redownloading all resources.

Greg M:

You will lose the new features of L5, but certainly many/most of the resources purchased with an L5 base package would be compatible with L4. 

[I'm not really suggesting you do this, but you can.]

The resources will be compatible as Logos 4 is maintained that way and also to sync with Logos 5. But there might be issues with Logos 4 that can only be resolved by going to Logos 5!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1244
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 22 2013 9:45 AM

Greg M:
I wish I could go back to Logos 4!!!!!!

Greg, I haven't noticed any difference between the linking in L4 and L5. In my experience they both have 2 way linking (each resource links to the other and changes the position of the other to it's location when moved). What was it in L4 that was different for you?

...I would much prefer one way linking where only a primary resource would determine the location of the other secondary (slave) resources (as in the case with a Bible and commentaries).

Posts 1244
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 22 2013 10:53 AM

Hey Greg, I just reread the first page of the post and found that you were refering to something else entirely. I haven't ever had this problem in L5, but I typically use the ESV. Maybe the problem only occurs in particular Bible translations? Hopefully Logos will find what is causing the problem for you. 

(.. of course they could just implement one way linking and solve the whole issue for everyone...?)

Posts 76
Greg M | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 25 2014 9:57 PM

This problem is still happening and it's REALLY irritating!!!  If I didn't have so much money sunk into this software I'd seriously think about finding something else.  I love the software for the most part but this jumping around is a bug.  It shouldn't do this.

What is so hard to make one source the master source and have the linked source follow it?

Why can't the highlighted source automatically control the linked source?

Posts 1614
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 26 2014 6:38 AM

Yes

Also wondering could someone write a plug-in for that?

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Page 2 of 2 (37 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS