Find modification needed

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Dec 6 2009 6:09 PM

The find function works well -- too well.  It finds all instances of the search string even when it is only part of the word.  A switch to enable it to find only whole words is needed.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 27
R. Jason Bartholow | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 6 2009 6:15 PM

Wouldn't quotation marks work for that?

Posts 19121
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 6 2009 6:26 PM

No, quotation marks won't do it. You need to turn off the "Match all word forms" option on the search drop-down menu. (Click the magnifying glass icon with the little down arrow next to it at the upper right of the Search tab to see this menu.)

Posts 2801
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 6 2009 6:42 PM

Wouldn't "Find Exact Words" or something like that make more sense? Besides the help says that option "includes results for alternative forms of a word." so that seems to be the opposite of what is being requested by the original post.

Not saying it doesn't work as Rosie suggests. Just saying that if that is the case it is confusing and not explained well in help.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 6 2009 6:45 PM

Rosie Perera:

No, quotation marks won't do it. You need to turn off the "Match all word forms" option on the search drop-down menu. (Click the magnifying glass icon with the little down arrow next to it at the upper right of the Search tab to see this menu.)

That doesn't speak to the problem.  I was reading Gen 4 in BHS and noticed the phrase  וַיָּקָם קַיִן אֶל־הֶבֶל and wondered whether there was a specific usage for the combination of אֶל with קום so I clicked on וַיָּקָם and did a <ctrl-f> in HALOT to attempt to find such a use.  The find fundtion found every instance of אֶל -- I can testify to that.  There is no such switch with <ctrl-f>.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 19121
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 6 2009 9:16 PM

Oops, I guess your question was way over my head!

Posts 19121
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 6 2009 9:27 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:

Wouldn't "Find Exact Words" or something like that make more sense? Besides the help says that option "includes results for alternative forms of a word." so that seems to be the opposite of what is being requested by the original post.

Not saying it doesn't work as Rosie suggests. Just saying that if that is the case it is confusing and not explained well in help.

Yeah, but I said to turn off that option. It looks like I misunderstood the original question. I thought George was concerned that a search, for example, for help, was finding all instances where "help" was part of the word (which would include other forms of the word: helped, helper, helping, helps). Turning off that option would have solved the issue if that's all he meant. Perhaps "Find Exact Words" would be a better name for that option. It is explained well in Help, though.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS