How do I find out how many commentaries I have in my Logos Library?

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 879
P A | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jan 28 2013 12:53 PM

How do I find out how many commentaries I have in my Logos Library?

Thanks in advance

P A

Posts 1647
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2013 12:57 PM

In your library window you can type (without quotations) "type:commentary" and everything that Logos has tagged as a commentary will display.

Peace  Smile

Romans 14:19 (NRSV)
19 Let us then pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding.

Posts 879
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2013 1:08 PM

Now my next question. How do I find out how many commentaries have on Isaiah?

P A

Posts 1647
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2013 1:14 PM

Try "type:commentary title:isaiah"

Peace  Smile

Posts 879
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2013 1:32 PM

It does not work for me. I even cut and paste your original, just in case I was typing it wrong.Confused

P A

Posts 879
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2013 1:48 PM

It works!

I got rid of the quotation marks and it works.

Thank you very much

P AYes

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2013 1:49 PM

P A:
It does not work for me. I even cut and paste your original, just in case I was typing it wrong.

That works for me and is the correct way. Perhaps if you posted a screenshot of what you have tried we can see what might be wrong.

BTW: typing just title:Isaiah then sorting by Type (You have to have that column showing) will give you the same result.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1647
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2013 1:56 PM

Depending on what package you own. I have Silver (both Logos 4 and 5 versions) and as you could see, I only had twelve. Of those twelve,three of the sets were purchased separately.

Peace  Smile

Posts 1647
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2013 1:57 PM

P A:
I got rid of the quotation marks and it works.

Sorry, I should have mentioned no quotation marks. Glad you discovered it though.

Peace  Smile

Posts 50
john nerdue | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2013 2:37 PM

WOW! I just did this and found out I have a huge collection of commentaries. I din't realize how many I had. Great little tip.

Posts 1647
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2013 3:43 PM

john nerdue:
Great little tip.

Hi John, glad that you learned something new. You can do this with other headings in your library as well. My most used one is  title:insert book name

In the attached snipping I simply typed-    pubdate:1991 publisher:navpress    -and got results for all of my resources published in 1991 by NavPress. The hardest part of this one was figuring out not to use publicationdate:1991 but to use pubdate:1991 instead.

Peace  Smile

Posts 2405
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2013 3:57 PM

P A:

Now my next question. How do I find out how many commentaries have on Isaiah?

“”Be Comforted”” by WARREN W.WIERSBE  does not have the name of Isaiah in the title.

Be Comforted details the lives of Isaiah and many powerful rulers of his day. This powerful resource guides the reader through the turbulent years of Isaiah's life and shows that while he trusted God and lived out his faith, the prophet pointed to another who would be the ultimate embodiment of service: Jesus Christ.

Posts 2305
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2013 4:19 PM

David Ames:
“”Be Comforted”” by WARREN W.WIERSBE  does not have the name of Isaiah in the title.

If you add subject:isaiah to your string you  will pick up this resource.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 1647
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2013 5:46 PM

Good points!

Peace  Smile

Posts 18669
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2013 5:49 PM

Rick:
You can do this with other headings in your library as well. My most used one is  title:insert book name

Something you need to know about library filters such as title: -- if the thing after the colon has multiple words in it separated by spaces, you need to enclose it in quotation marks, or else the results will not be what you expect. For example, title:"the message of james" (case is insensitive so you don't need to bother capitalizing the words). See how different the results are when you don't include the quotation marks:

An exercise for the curious reader: why does it work this way? Hint: title:the matches everything with "the" in the title; the remaining words in the Find box match anything anywhere in the metadata (subject, author, title, description, etc.) and the understood conjunction joining these terms together is AND.

Beloved:

David Ames:

If you add subject:isaiah to your string you  will pick up this resource.

You need to add it with an OR before it or it will default to AND. And you need to put that OR clause in parentheses because AND (which is assumed when there's no logical operator) has higher precedence than OR. So the full rule would be:

type:commentary (title:isaiah OR subject:isaiah)

Note that if you didn't put the OR clause in parentheses it would find all books that are either commentaries with isaiah in their title or are any type of book with isaiah as a subject (which would include monographs about the book of isaiah and those are not commentaries).

Posts 8946
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2013 6:52 PM

I have been doing some experimenting of my own. I get...

• 54 when I use this search - subject:isaiah
  • 59 when I use this search - title:isaiah
  • 61 when I use this search - title:isaiah OR subject:isaiah

I suppose I would have similar proportional results for every book of the Bible.

I would also recommend setting up a collection for each book in the Bible using the best search criteria.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 18669
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2013 7:05 PM

Bruce Dunning:
I would also recommend setting up a collection for each book in the Bible using the best search criteria.

Yes, I do that, but only on an as-needed basis. I haven't spent the time to set up 66 collections for Bible books yet. It might not take all that long to do the work up front, but there are reasons not to. Some functions of Logos that slow down when you have lots and lots of collections, for example populating the "Search In" dropdown menu in the Search tab.

EDIT:

Incidentally, there is a wiki page with rules for commentary collections for all the books in the Bible (those in the North American Protestant canon and the Apocrypha):

http://wiki.logos.com/Canonical_Commentary_Collections

I create my book study collection rules to also include Monographs about those books. So, for example, my one for the book of Job looks like this:

type:(commentary,monograph) AND (title:Job,subject:Job)

But I've had to manually exclude a couple of books that got picked up in that rule which had to do with the word "job" as in work/career. My resulting collection has 52 books and commentaries about Job. Not bad!

Posts 8946
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2013 7:13 PM

Rosie Perera:

Bruce Dunning:

Yes, I do that, but only on an as-needed basis. I haven't spent the time to set up 66 collections for Bible books yet. It might not take all that long to do the work up front, but there are reasons not to. Some functions of Logos that slow down when you have lots and lots of collections, for example populating the "Search In" dropdown menu in the Search tab.

Thanks for the clarification Rosie. What you are suggesting I already do too - only set up a collection for studies that I do. But I'm intrigued as to why some functions slow down with lots of collections. I have not noticed this but it could be since I have a solid state drive (SSD).

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 18669
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2013 7:34 PM

Bruce Dunning:
I'm intrigued as to why some functions slow down with lots of collections. I have not noticed this but it could be since I have a solid state drive (SSD).

I have an SSD too. But I also have a huge library (over 10k resources) and close to 200 collections. Here's an explanation from Bradley as to why the "Search In" dropdown (in the Bible Search tab) is so slow to populate for some people:

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/44603/335247.aspx#335247

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2013 8:05 PM

Rosie Perera:

So, for example, my one for the book of Job looks like this:

type:(commentary,monograph) AND (title:Job,subject:Job)

Wonder about rule for Job ?

Type:(Commentary,Monograph) AND (Subject:Job,Title:(Job,"Wisdom Literature")) -Subject:stress

P A:
How do I find out how many commentaries have on Isaiah?

Wonder about rule (or library search)  for Isaiah ?

Type:(Commentary,Monograph) AND (Subject:Isaiah,Title:(Isaiah,"Major Prophets","Prophets of the Old Testament, Vol. 2"))

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS