American Civil War: USN Indianola

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jan 31 2013 10:31 AM

Logos with its excellent Civil War library represents a pretty broad 'family'.  Plus no 'warnings' too!

If you're following Grant's attempt to clear the Mississippi in this and the coming months, the story of the Indianola is a very interesting one. Its technology isn't often mentioned.

Good discussion: http://www.civilwarsignals.org/pages/spy/pages/ironcladhoax.html

And from Logos as a start: logosres:phcw06ie;ref=Page.p_81;off=30  (search Indianola NEAR ironclad)

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2013 1:04 PM

Thank you, Denise!                      I enjoyed my lovely little side trip into history this afternoon!               *smile*               Peace to you!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 236
Michael March | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2013 8:17 PM

Not only did I not know this history, I had no idea that I owned so many resources on the Civil war in my Logos library.  Thank you.  That was very informative and very interesting.  I'm going back to peruse these books I had but didn't know.

It almost makes you wish there were some kind of meandering browsing tool for cruising through your library.  With so many books purchased in groups, it's no wonder I'm not aware of many, but it would be great to see what some of them are.  Thanks for showing me.Yes

Windows PC - Android Phone - Surface Pro 4

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 1 2013 2:26 PM

Peace, Michael!                   *smile*                    Both our two-wheelers are up on blocks for the winter, eh???                 I will need a new battery when Spring comes.

And it will!           Poet Shelley said in "Ode to the West Wind,"    "...if Winter comes can Spring be far behind?"

Anyway, Michael, you DO HAVE a tool like that!     I often use it, perhaps Denise does also????     Just type FSD in the command box.  You can even put that onto the shortcut line to the right of the command box!

Great tool!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 1 2013 5:48 PM

Well, Milford, I switched over to Logos5 main window. I looked around for the command line (my search line is right below the command line). I carefully typed in 'FSD' and started to press 'Enter'.

But I just couldn't do it. I mean, what might happen??

What if there's something in my Logos library that's just too fearful to even know about?   No warnings. Nothing!

Smile.  (Thanks for the reminder!)

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 1 2013 6:53 PM

DMB:

Well, Milford, I switched over to Logos5 main window. I looked around for the command line (my search line is right below the command line). I carefully typed in 'FSD' and started to press 'Enter'.

But I just couldn't do it. I mean, what might happen??

What if there's something in my Logos library that's just too fearful to even know about?   No warnings. Nothing!

Smile.  (Thanks for the reminder!)

You are indeed most welcome, Denise!       Thanks for the great smile you gave me by your post.

Michael, this screen shot is for you!              If you like FSD like I do, you might like it on your short cut line.  Here's the first part of my line.....

To the right of Tools, if you copy FSD, you can move that text (from BELOW the command box) to the right.  Here, to the right of my command box I have a few "action command" symbols -- the first is Close All (a great and wonderful command!) -- the second is FSD (Facilitate Serendipitous Discovery) -- the third is Show Bible Facts, the fourth Show Highlighting, the Fifth, Show Favourites -- the Sixth - Open Timeline at a certain spot                Plus many other commands  ...

Maybe we need a warning against FSD - Just looked up on Google the story of picking "random" passages for inspiration...   I'm sure you've heard it before, eh?

The story is told of a lady who had an unusual mode of Bible study which she later had to abandon. She, in early mornings,

after quickly flipping through pages of the Bible with her eyes

closed, would bring her finger down on a verse. She would then

open her eyes, and that verse supposedly was her special God-

given inspiration and exhortation for that day. One morning as

she brought her finger down on a verse, it said, "Judas went  

out and hanged himself." She didn't particularly like that verse, so she thought God would add further instructions if she

tried again. The next time her finger hit the verse, "Go thou 

and do likewise." She now being very perplexed on what to do, 

tries again. The next placement said, "What thou doest, do    

quickly." Thus, she now had her God given exhortation for that

day: Judas went out and hanged himself. Go and do likewise! Do

it quickly!

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 9 2013 1:31 PM

DMB:

Logos 5 added "in" option to FSD so can specify which collection to randomly open a resource:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 9 2013 1:37 PM

Thanks, KSFJ!    I keep the dangerous resourses in my Hidden area (since Logos won't warn me of which ones not to read .... smile).

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS