What about an Eastern Orthodox package (similar to Verbum)?

Page 1 of 3 (52 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 51 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 68
Dan | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jan 31 2013 11:27 PM

Is anything like this being discussed?

Posts 482
elnwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2013 11:41 PM

I'm not sure if the demand for an Eastern Orthodox package is there, but I might be interested in Eastern Orthodox resources. What sort of Eastern Orthodox resources did you have in mind?

I would like the Patriarchal Orthodox Greek Text in Logos, for one.

Posts 30222
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 1 2013 1:48 AM

I think its too early in the cycle for an Orthodox (Byzantine) package to be under consideration. If the partnership with St. Vladimir's goes smoothly (first product under development), then some of the other Orthodox Presses might be inclined to partner with Logos as well. Add the completion of the 2 or 3 Bibles currently being translated and the basis for such a package would be in place.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 68
Dan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 1 2013 8:17 AM

PATr needs to be in Logos, hands down. It's the authoritative Greek New Testament for Byzantine Christians, and the electronic edition is already tagged with morphology and available on Kindle but needs to be in Logos so I can use it with my other resources.

Many Patristic resources are already in Logos but could be bundled into this package. I suspect more will rapidly be translated and become available as more and more Protestants seem to be taking an interest in the Fathers (and will thus create a market for them). The Chrysostom bible commentary series from OCABS would be an essential (in fact lots from OCABS would be good). Getting the IVP ACCS commentary to become available again would also be good (I know it can be bought from IVP separately, but not through the Logos store).

The popular Patristics series from SVS will be good (I believe I pre-ordered it). Also many would probably want the OSB (but I could take it or leave it). Some additional resources that would be essential are:

• The Philokalia (numerous volumes and translations)
  • Schmemann books (Great Lent, For the Life of the World, etc.)
  • Jaroslav Pelikan's 5-volume book on the historical development of doctrine
  • Pelikan's book on the Christian encounter with Hellenism
  • Mystical Theology by Lossky
  • Lectionaries, prayer books (Horologion), Divine Liturgy resources (Heavenly Banquet by Hatzidakis)
  • Works by Zizioulas
  • Canons (tons here)
  • Dogmatic books by various theologians (Nafpaktos, Staniloae, Pomazansky, etc.)
  • Works by Kalamiros, Romanides, Florovsky, Kallistos Ware, McGuckin, Bulgakov, Meyendorff, DB Hart, etc.
  • Works involving dialogue between Orthodox and other groups (Augustana Graeca, etc.)

This would be a substantial Eastern Orthodox library.

Posts 8898
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 7 2013 4:11 PM

For those of you who haven't yet found out, there is now an Orthodox suggestion at Logos' new Uservoice site for prepubs: Add more Orthodox works, and also one for Patristics: Add more Patristic works. Please go add your votes. And then add the remainder of your votes to other suggestions -- preferably mine.Big Smile

(There is also a new Uservoice site for CP's, with another ten new votes for you to spend: http://communitypricing.uservoice.com/forums/183260-general/filters/top.)

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 19073
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 7 2013 4:42 PM

Logos has now hired a product manager for Orthodox (and Lutheran and Reformed) resources, Gabe Martini:

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/60311/475613.aspx#475613

So look forward to the above and more needs being addressed in the hopefully near future.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 13 2013 2:42 PM

Rosie Perera:

Logos has now hired a product manager for Orthodox (and Lutheran and Reformed) resources, Gabe Martini:

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/60311/475613.aspx#475613

So look forward to the above and more needs being addressed in the hopefully near future.

Peace, Rosie!            *smile*           And, Every Blessing!

Yes, I've seen a number of posts re. Gabe; and I'm quite pleased!         However, Rosie, I haven't seen anywhere but your post his being a product manager for Lutheran (me!  -- *smile*)           AND     reformed  ????                   eh???

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 796
LogosEmployee
Gabe Martini (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 13 2013 8:05 PM

Milford Charles Murray:
           Yes, I've seen a number of posts re. Gabe; and I'm quite pleased!         However, Rosie, I haven't seen anywhere but your post his being a product manager for Lutheran (me!  -- *smile*)           AND     reformed  ????                   eh???

It is true! I'm a multi-tasker.

A standalone Orthodox product would be interesting. Right now, my focus is to get as many Orthodox resources as possible. With your support (in CP and Pre-Pub), the sky's the limit!

Product Department Manager
Faithlife

Posts 796
LogosEmployee
Gabe Martini (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 13 2013 8:07 PM

Dan O'Day:

PATr needs to be in Logos, hands down. It's the authoritative Greek New Testament for Byzantine Christians, and the electronic edition is already tagged with morphology and available on Kindle but needs to be in Logos so I can use it with my other resources.

Many Patristic resources are already in Logos but could be bundled into this package. I suspect more will rapidly be translated and become available as more and more Protestants seem to be taking an interest in the Fathers (and will thus create a market for them). The Chrysostom bible commentary series from OCABS would be an essential (in fact lots from OCABS would be good). Getting the IVP ACCS commentary to become available again would also be good (I know it can be bought from IVP separately, but not through the Logos store).

The popular Patristics series from SVS will be good (I believe I pre-ordered it). Also many would probably want the OSB (but I could take it or leave it). Some additional resources that would be essential are:

• The Philokalia (numerous volumes and translations)
  • Schmemann books (Great Lent, For the Life of the World, etc.)
  • Jaroslav Pelikan's 5-volume book on the historical development of doctrine
  • Pelikan's book on the Christian encounter with Hellenism
  • Mystical Theology by Lossky
  • Lectionaries, prayer books (Horologion), Divine Liturgy resources (Heavenly Banquet by Hatzidakis)
  • Works by Zizioulas
  • Canons (tons here)
  • Dogmatic books by various theologians (Nafpaktos, Staniloae, Pomazansky, etc.)
  • Works by Kalamiros, Romanides, Florovsky, Kallistos Ware, McGuckin, Bulgakov, Meyendorff, DB Hart, etc.
  • Works involving dialogue between Orthodox and other groups (Augustana Graeca, etc.)

This would be a substantial Eastern Orthodox library.

Great suggestions. Thank you! Smile

Faithlife

Posts 19073
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 13 2013 10:36 PM

Milford Charles Murray:

Milford, I saw it in his forum profile, but it has not been mentioned in the forums per se (except his confirmation above that he's a multi-tasker).

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 14 2013 5:34 AM

Great information!            Thanks, Rosie!                        Blessings and Strength for the day!

*smile*

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 796
LogosEmployee
Gabe Martini (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 22 2013 5:39 PM

For those interested in works on the canons (some of you mentioned this above), we have added The Rudder as a two volume collection (in both Greek and English) to Community Pricing.

Faithlife

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 22 2013 6:11 PM

Peace to you, Gabe!            Thank you!           *smile*                I'm in!          

Posts 308
James W Bennett | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 23 2013 4:41 AM

Thank You Br Gabe! I have now put in my bid for The Rudder.

---

James W Bennett

http://syriac.tara-lu.com/

Posts 796
LogosEmployee
Gabe Martini (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 23 2013 8:50 AM

James W Bennett:

Thank You Br Gabe! I have now put in my bid for The Rudder.

Sure thing! Keep your eyes peeled for more Orthodox works on both CP and Pre-Pub in the future.

Faithlife

Posts 8898
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 22 2013 12:10 PM

Dan O'Day:
Works by (...) Florovsky

Collected Works of Fr. Georges Florovsky, Part 1 (4 vols.)  (and it's on CP, not prepub!)

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 9414
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 22 2013 1:36 PM

fgh:

Dan O'Day:
Works by (...) Florovsky

Collected Works of Fr. Georges Florovsky, Part 1 (4 vols.)  (and it's on CP, not prepub!)

Not only does that link not seem to work but I get the message that Logos doesn't sell this. I'm not sure what is going on.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 796
LogosEmployee
Gabe Martini (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 22 2013 1:45 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Not only does that link not seem to work but I get the message that Logos doesn't sell this. I'm not sure what is going on.

Apologies for any confusion. This went up before all rights research had been complete. We are working to resolve this and I'll keep you posted.

Faithlife

Posts 9414
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 22 2013 1:47 PM

Gabe Martini:

Bruce Dunning:

Apologies for any confusion. This went up before all rights research had been complete. We are working to resolve this and I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the clarification Gabe. Perhaps you are trying to whet our appetites.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 2674
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 22 2013 2:50 PM

MJ. Smith:

I think its too early in the cycle for an Orthodox (Byzantine) package to be under consideration.  

It took two years from the manager being hired till Verbum came out. Shall we give the new added managers equal time? 

Page 1 of 3 (52 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS