Logos 5 for Mac Crashes on Startup

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 27
Todd Zuidema | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Feb 1 2013 6:47 AM

Hello all.  I recently purchased a Mac after using a PC for many years.  Perhaps I should have done more research before I installed, but I didn't, so now I'm here.  

The way I installed was by going to my accounts page and clicking on my most recent purchase record available for download.  I downloaded a *dmg file which, I believe load the software.  It then proceeded to download the resouces.

When I try to start Logos 5, it loads, and synchronizes, and then I see the Logos desktop for a moment, but I am unable to type in it at all.  It then crashes and brings up an error report.

The resources have been indexed, so that seems to be working well.

So, my questions are:

1)How can I keep Logos from crashing.

2) How do I download all of my resources on to my new computer.

Thanks,

TZ

Posts 22857
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 1 2013 6:57 AM

Hi Todd

Sorry to hear you are having problems

Todd Zuidema:
1)How can I keep Logos from crashing.

Please enable diagnostic logging (as per http://wiki.logos.com/Diagnostic_Logging) and upload logs after Logos has crashed. That will help identify what the problem is

You might want to try opening Logos to a blank layout (as per http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_Not_Starting) and see if that helps

Todd Zuidema:
2) How do I download all of my resources on to my new computer.

From what you said earlier in your post it suggests that the resources have been downloaded and indexed so not quite sure what you mean here. Once the crashing problem is resolved, any resources which need to be downloaded should do so

Graham 

Posts 27
Todd Zuidema | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 1 2013 7:41 AM

]

Posts 27
Todd Zuidema | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 1 2013 7:44 AM

1781.LogosError.log

Graham,

I am a fish out of water with this new OS.  Baby steps.  I think I have attached what I need or apparently the URL for a file I uploaded.

Can you let me know if this is what you need?  I am struggling with just the basics here.  Frustrating, because I move around quite easily with Windows.  A steep learning curve, I think.

TZ

Posts 27
Todd Zuidema | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 1 2013 8:04 AM

Graham,

FYI, the blank layout worked.  Now, how do I load my old desktop.  Will I have to set that all up again, or may I go back to the old saved version.

Secondly, when I speak of all my resources, with this new install has Logos downloaded all my books that I have ordered over the years, or just the books that were included with the Platinum upgrade package I purchased late last year?

Thanks again for your help.

TZ

Posts 22857
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 1 2013 9:23 AM

Hi Todd

The log files you uploaded show that Logos crashed due to a "too many open files" error.

This is a known problem - for which I don't believe there is currently a resolution - but can be due to complex layouts.

Graham

Posts 22857
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 1 2013 9:26 AM

HI Todd

Todd Zuidema:
FYI, the blank layout worked

That's good news

Todd Zuidema:
Now, how do I load my old desktop.  Will I have to set that all up again, or may I go back to the old saved version.

Presumably you were running Logos 5 previously on Windows. Assuming that you had saved your layouts they should be synchronised and available to you. Can you open an old layout from the layouts menu?

Todd Zuidema:
Secondly, when I speak of all my resources, with this new install has Logos downloaded all my books that I have ordered over the years, or just the books that were included with the Platinum upgrade package I purchased late last year?

It should download all of the resources which are associated with your account. Does it look like you are missing any?

If so, is there any indication that there are resources to download or add to your configuration?

Graham 

Posts 27
Todd Zuidema | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 1 2013 9:40 AM

Graham,

When I tried to reload the old desktop, Logos crashed again.  So, it looks like I'll set it up again on this computer and see what happens.

I don't think I'm missing anything, but it is going to have to take some more looking.  Thanks for your help and if anything comes up, I will be sure to drop you a line.  You've been a great help!

Thanks,

TZ

Posts 22857
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 1 2013 9:45 AM

Hi Todd

Todd Zuidema:
When I tried to reload the old desktop, Logos crashed again.  So, it looks like I'll set it up again on this computer and see what happens.

So it looks as though it was layout related. Trying to create it again could be a good way to go

Todd Zuidema:
Thanks for your help and if anything comes up, I will be sure to drop you a line.  You've been a great help!

You are welcome. You will find that there are normally people on the forums who are keen to help so please feel free to come back with any questions about the use of Logos software

Graham 

Posts 10737
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 1 2013 11:15 AM

Todd Zuidema:
I am a fish out of water with this new OS.

Todd, welcome to the Mac OS. There is a reasonably easy way to gather logs.

The most convenient way to enable logging is to use the Applescript LogosLogging by KS4J. (Restart of Logos needed after enabling)

Then use Logos Log Scribe to create an archive of the logs on your desktop.

Posts 10737
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 1 2013 11:17 AM

Todd Zuidema:
When I tried to reload the old desktop, Logos crashed again.

By any chance, does that layout include the Bible Sense Lexicon? There is an issue with that resource which has been fixed in the current beta. Also Logos 5 has had an issue with "too many open resources"—actually that is the problem with BSL. This problem has also be fixed in the current beta. Since it is now at the Release Candidate stage, it should be released to the stable build soon.

Posts 27
Todd Zuidema | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 1 2013 2:41 PM

Jack,

Thanks for the tips on the logfiles.  Hopefully, its not an issue I have to delve into often.

As far as the layout crash, I was not using the Bible Sense Lexicon.  I trimmed down some of the resources on my desktop and the issue seems to have taken care of itself.

Thanks for your interest.

TZ

Posts 10737
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 1 2013 5:42 PM

Todd Zuidema:
 I trimmed down some of the resources on my desktop and the issue seems to have taken care of itself.

Then, it was probably the "too many open files" bug which was fixed in 5.0b RC-1. RC-2 is due out soon, so it may not be long before the fix reaches the stable version.

Posts 4733
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 2 2013 12:35 PM

Jack Caviness:
Then, it was probably the "too many open files" bug which was fixed in 5.0b RC-1. RC-2 is due out soon, so it may not be long before the fix reaches the stable version.

...it may not be long before it reaches the unstable version.

Surely

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS