Whole lotta Crashing goin on!!!

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 150
Mike Strawn | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Feb 6 2013 11:04 AM

I was considering cross-grade or upgrade - but man - this Forum reads like the 4.0 Forum - lots of Crashing, lots of bugs. I am REALLY FRUSTRATED. I don't understand why 4.0 users who have been waiting patiently for a stable 4.0 platform now have to pay to move to the 5.0 platform. Why weren't we just given the upgrade to 5.0 and not asked to wait until the Crossgrade is available. I REALLY love this product - use it EVERY DAY - been waiting for almost 2 years for it to settle down and stabilize - mine crashes EVERY TIME I exit - I have to Force Quit. I'm so invested I can't turn back - and I'm not saying that I would anyway - it's just not right that for all of the waiting and being loyal - we got passed over (no pun intended) when it came to the 5.0 product (although it seems like it has its share of bugs and crash issues). 

Anyway - my two cents.

Anyone else feeling the pain???

-Mike

Posts 6321
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 6 2013 11:29 AM

Ok, Killer

(1) Per Graham, the free Logos5 engine was made available yesterday (I haven't looked).

(2) The forums are a tiny subset of Logosian experience; indeed Logos instructs folks with problems to come here (ergo 'the help desk')

But

(3) You're right. I never had much issue with Logos4 (some known ways to crash it). But Logos5 so far does seem to be 'a whole lotta crashin'

And

(4) We'll all look back on with fond memories of the crashin' Logos4, Logos5, Logos6 .... (I think it has a lot to do with a whole lotta excitement at Logos-land with each new version).

Posts 9889
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 6 2013 11:33 AM

DMB:
(1) Per Graham, the free Logos5 engine was made available yesterday (I haven't looked).

It's available at http://www.logos.com/installation

Posts 8837
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 6 2013 11:33 AM

Mike Strawn:

I was considering cross-grade or upgrade - but man - this Forum reads like the 4.0 Forum - lots of Crashing, lots of bugs. I am REALLY FRUSTRATED. I don't understand why 4.0 users who have been waiting patiently for a stable 4.0 platform now have to pay to move to the 5.0 platform. Why weren't we just given the upgrade to 5.0 and not asked to wait until the Crossgrade is available. I REALLY love this product - use it EVERY DAY - been waiting for almost 2 years for it to settle down and stabilize - mine crashes EVERY TIME I exit - I have to Force Quit. I'm so invested I can't turn back - and I'm not saying that I would anyway - it's just not right that for all of the waiting and being loyal - we got passed over (no pun intended) when it came to the 5.0 product (although it seems like it has its share of bugs and crash issues). 

Anyway - my two cents.

-Mike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WtPY_X1j14

Haven't crashed it yet.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 6321
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 6 2013 11:39 AM

Hmmm. That last comment doesn't sound good. My crashes do seem to occur when I'm heartily scanning the 'easy' line on my greek Bible.

Posts 8837
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 6 2013 11:43 AM

DMB:

Hmmm. That last comment doesn't sound good. My crashes do seem to occur when I'm heartily scanning the 'easy' line on my greek Bible.

OK, I'll bite.  What's the "easy line"?

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 6321
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 6 2013 11:53 AM

The one that doesn't have all the funny letters (couldn't these guys write proper phoenician??).   But to be truthful, only the old Lexham hebrew interlinear still has problems lining up (but doesn't crash).  I hit the magic '5' ways to crash a week or so ago. I suspect 5.0b will wipe out my record.

Posts 150
Mike Strawn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 6 2013 11:55 AM

Well - sorry for my belly-aching - I just downloaded the 5.0 version - didn't cost me a penny (so that part is good) - again sorry if I spoke out of turn about the whole cost issue. I'm hoping that the 5.0 version is more stable than 4.0 (although I kept it around for safe keeping).

Thanks all for the input and the link to the 5.0 Engine.

Smooth sailing:)

-Mike

Posts 9889
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 6 2013 11:59 AM

Hi Mike

Mike Strawn:
I'm hoping that the 5.0 version is more stable than 4.0 (although I kept it around for safe keeping).

L5 overwrites L4 so I suggest you don't try and go back to it.

Graham

Posts 150
Mike Strawn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 6 2013 12:02 PM

Even though I renamed the app before the cross-grade??? I purposely renamed it Logos Bible Software 4 1-13-13.app PRIOR to the cross-grade. I thought that would keep the program intact - pretty sure it would??? Right???

Posts 9889
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 6 2013 12:10 PM

Mike Strawn:

Even though I renamed the app before the cross-grade??? I purposely renamed it Logos Bible Software 4 1-13-13.app PRIOR to the cross-grade. I thought that would keep the program intact - pretty sure it would??? Right???

No - because the folders containing all of the resources are reused and the databases are upgraded to V5 "format" which is not compatible with the L4 app.

Posts 150
Mike Strawn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 6 2013 12:17 PM

Ok thanks - I didn't realize that this was an "ALL-IN" decision. I guess "I'm IN" - no turning back:)

On to the new frontier. 

Thanks

-Mike

Posts 9889
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 6 2013 12:26 PM

You are welcome.

And I hope L5 is a great experience for you

Posts 1516
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 6 2013 1:20 PM

The only time I crash is when I ask for results that don't fit in memory [same search spread over 3 collections worked ok ,when done one at a time]

Posts 984
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 6 2013 2:16 PM

David Ames:
The only time I crash is when I ask for results that don't fit in memory

I can relate to that. There's a lot that doesn't seem to fit in memory these days.

Dell XPS 8300: Core i7; 12GB RAM; AMD Radeon 6870 (Dual Monitor); Win 8.1 Pro x64
Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro 700T: Core i5; 4GB RAM; Win 8.1 Pro x64
ASUS Nexus 7 | Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Posts 1516
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 6 2013 8:10 PM

Randy W. Sims (Shayne):

David Ames:
The only time I crash is when I ask for results that don't fit in memory

I can relate to that. There's a lot that doesn't seem to fit in memory these days.

What I was thinking was to make three collections with all of the items I might want to use and then cut those collections in thirds and then use each one in order to do the BIG searches but I don’t see a way to of removing resources except one at a time so that got nowhere.

But we could play with the epubdate: as in:

rating:=3 AND (epubdate:2002 OR epubdate:2009)   [not a real collection but trying a concept]

Until we had collections that covered our whole range in parts

[Problem here is that epubdate does not seem to take a date range but by using OR this should help us get our multi thousand resources down to multi multi hundred resource collections]

Posts 1778
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 6 2013 10:21 PM

Mike Strawn:

Not sure if you are Mac or Windows, but I have felt pain on many occasion with Logos 4 Mac, but not so much with version 5.  Some of the releases of Logos 4 were very rough.  A number of us found and documented on these forums even basic things which should not be seen in full release software... at least not in the numbers we found. Yet Logos 5 in my opinion is much better, refined and responsive. It is what Logos 4 should have been at least in quality from day one.  I am much more satisfied that I can focus more time on study rather than documenting bugs and crashes!

Logos for Mac - Wiki Page and FAQ

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS