Topic guide not working

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 25 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 109
William M. Harper | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 23 2013 2:08 PM

Apparently No.4 is my problem. Thank you, MJ.

Posts 33447
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 23 2013 2:32 PM

If it's no pick-list, most likely you have a corrupted index. Give customer service a call. They'll know which one needs rebuilt. Short pick-list ... a few carefully chosen resources can expand it if you really want.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 29798
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 23 2013 3:36 PM

I don't have a grasp on all of these details... but I can speak GENERALLY, which may or may not apply to your situation.

William M. Harper:
I don't understand why I would need to buy a L4 minimal crossgrade when I was already using Logos 4

A confusing thing about Logos is that sometimes they have difficult to understand terminology. "Logos 4" or "Logos 5" can apply to software AND/OR resources (i.e. base package). Someone telling us that they were "already using Logos 4" doesn't tell us what we need to know. The software is always free... the resources and datasets required to run various features cost money. 

William M. Harper:
Wasn't the Christian Home Library I purchased in 2011 a base package?

I think so... but that doesn't mean that all features were included. In fact, I don't think they were. If I remember right, that package was a "starter" one.

William M. Harper:
why I need one now after I have purchased the L5 crossgrade and am now using Logos 5.

Again, I don't know if this applies to you or not, but let me explain in general terms.

Logos sells "datasets" in either "minimal cross grades" or in "base packages." Some features are only provided in higher base packages, or in "minimal cross grades." The Logos 5 "minimal cross grade" is intended for users who had all of the datasets from L4 already, and who don't want to purchase a new base package. It is very possible that a user didn't have all of the core data sets in L4. In that case, they would need to purchase the L4 minimal cross grade in addition to the L5 one. I <think> that is the case for you.

William M. Harper:
That doesn't make much sense to me.

I understand, and it is indeed confusing. Logos does, however, have "dynamic pricing." If you own SOME of the datasets, your price should reflect your previous purchases.

Perhaps Logos could/should have combined the L4/L5 "minimal cross grade" into the same package. The price would have reflected a higher price point, however, which may have confused and deterred many people who were moving from an L4 package to an L5 one.

EDIT: I see that once again I have come late to the party. Party!!! I'll leave my answer up in case someone comes across this later with the same questions (but different problem). 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 27039
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 23 2013 4:34 PM

William M. Harper:

Apparently No.4 is my problem. Thank you, MJ.

You need the LCV** from the L4 min Crossgrade. As a Logos 4 feature it is not included with any L5 crossgrade and it was not included in all L4 base packages either. You also need resources of type:encyclopedia in Library!

As Albama states you should get a discount for the stuff you already own e.g. Biblical People/Places/Things, else you will also acquire those Tools!

** Logos Controlled Vocabulary database.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 27039
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 24 2013 12:29 AM

MJ. Smith:

4. no pick list? it isn't working; short pick list - you have few resources indexed for the Topic Guide.

Martha

I have exactly the same pick list and it doesn't depend on my resources because I don't get any result from "Christianity and Judaism: Parting of the Ways"! This is because the list comes from the LCV database, so no pick list = no LCV!

Then when you get the LCV database you may not get a result in Topic Guide's Definition section unless you have some resources tagged with LCV milestones. A partial list of these can be found at http://community.logos.com/forums/t/23119.aspx and http://community.logos.com/forums/p/52078/382532.aspx#382532.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 33447
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 24 2013 12:57 AM

Dave, you are correct. I melded to issues into one. Thanks for clarifying.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS