Off topic: The pope is stepping down!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Feb 11 2013 5:43 AM

OK, don't start a theological debate now, but I'm just too shocked to keep quiet. 

The pope has announced his resignation on 8 PM February 28th. Never thought I'd live to see a day when a pope voluntarily stepped down!

And if that wasn't shocking enough, I was looking at 'papabile' sites yesterday. I don't think I've looked at those sites more than once or twice before, and it must have been years ago. What on earth induced me to check them out the very day before the papacy is announced vacant?!

I wonder what MJ will say when she wakes up and finds out?

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 3031
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2013 5:55 AM

Please,But not in the forum,you can use another means of communications to inform others.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 11060
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2013 6:33 AM

First time in 600 years.

Good morning Tes!

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 1660
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2013 6:38 AM

On the one hand, I suppose I should be surprised at this since I have never heard of anything quite like it.  On the other hand, I am not at all.  He allegedly tried to retire multiple times when he was working for John Paul 2, and wasn't allowed to.  During the Conclave, I heard that he would either exit the conclave and retire back to his beloved books in Germany or be Pope, and that he would have undoubtedly preferred the former to the office to which he was asked to serve.

He will leave behind some big shoes to fill. (not to mention designer label ones)

SDG

Ken McGuire

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Basic, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 130
Willard Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2013 6:42 AM

fgh:
Possibly he read Luigi's Recent Rash of Rhetoric.

Posts 3976
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2013 10:57 AM

I should preface my comments with the fact that I am a protestant, and that I mean no offense to those of you from that particular tradition. 

But I think someone stepping down before they die shows a great deal of character. In other realms, doing the opposite can make us wonder about their priorities and so forth.  

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Platinum & WORDsearch

Posts 29340
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2013 1:02 PM

fgh:

• wonderful example - other bishops have to retire why shouldn't the bishop of Rome
  • integrity and humility - willing to admit when doing his job to his standards becomes impossible
  • hopes that he can concentrate on finishing any books or papers that are in progress and that he can do so with joy
  • thrilled to not have to go through weeks of newsmen's speculation as to who the new pope might be as health deteriorates, funerals are held etc. Only 17 days of totally uninformed speculationWink

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1660
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2013 1:06 PM

Yes, there will be a LOT of uniformed speculation.  But another board I am on pointed this out:

Another interesting wrinkle... Conclaves are still governed by John Paul II's Universi Domini Gregis, which stipulates the following:

37. I furthermore decree that, from the moment when the Apostolic See is lawfully vacant, the Cardinal electors who are present must wait fifteen full days for those who are absent; the College of Cardinals is also granted the faculty to defer, for serious reasons, the beginning of the election for a few days more. But when a maximum of twenty days have elapsed from the beginning of the vacancy of the See, all the Cardinal electors present are obliged to proceed to the election.

This would seem to indicate that a travel problem affecting even a single cardinal-elector could delay the start of the conclave until March 15th.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Basic, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 151
luoar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2013 8:25 PM

I concur with the sentiments expressed by MJ Smith. Benedict has always shown himself to be an independent and vigorous thinker. That he has taken this step is testimony to the great man that he is. I would also like to say, for what it is worth, that his book "The Spirit of the Liturgy" is probably the finest book on the subject that I have read. I am sure that in his retirement he will continue to do what he had wanted to do before he became Pope, and that is to devote himself to further writings.

rari

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS