Logos....PLEASE moderate the forums!

Page 2 of 3 (51 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 50 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 165
Wayne | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 12 2013 10:22 AM

Dean053:
I would like self-righteous twaddle like the opening post to be moderated. This is a place to discuss Logos, not a pulpit. If people wish to provide negative feedback on Logos products, that is their prerogative, and may help Logos to gauge how they are doing (think the roll out of Logos 5).

We may not agree with the opening post, but we don't need to just his motives. There are lots of people who don't like the free flow of the forums. Hopefully a few more posters think twice in the future.

Posts 2589
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 12 2013 10:55 AM

Room4more:

FYI: “Banning” institutes “blocking” an IP. How would you feel if your IP got blocked? – this means that your Logos software becomes only what you have on your system – NO MORE UPDATES!!

I think we should distinguish between banning a user from forum participation, and stopping a customer from logging into Logos servers for paid services.

Speaking for myself, I would like to see a vibrant forum that could go occasionally off-topic with friendly chatter, considered advice, and even responsible dissension.

But I would like to see trolling, spamming and verbal one-up-manship kept to a minimum. I cannot imagine what the benefit would be to Logos and users for this sort of activity to proliferate.

Posts 1854
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 12 2013 11:20 AM

George Somsel:
"You may not be able to define it, but you know it when you see it."

That would be US Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart in the 1960s.

Win 10 | Android 9 | Fire OS 5

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 12 2013 12:29 PM

Lee:

Room4more:

FYI: “Banning” institutes “blocking” an IP. How would you feel if your IP got blocked? – this means that your Logos software becomes only what you have on your system – NO MORE UPDATES!!

I think we should distinguish between banning a user from forum participation, and stopping a customer from logging into Logos servers for paid services.

But it is one and the same log-in. you use your username-passwrd for: Logos.com

Everything associated especially your own logos software on your pc/mac uses the same password/login…or did you not notice.

Which again is associated with an IP account, if you were to block joesmho@brentwood.groove from the forums you also block his user account for the software, etc., etc.

[ i reserved the right to be mis-guided]

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 31913
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 12 2013 12:35 PM

Room4more:

And I want poor logic banned WinkThe block of an IP in the forums doesn't not imply the blocking of all Logos services.

Room4more:
[ i reserved the right to be mis-guided]

Granted. But while passwords may be an integrated service, that does not mean that it is used identically in all Logos apps.

Dean053:
I would like self-righteous twaddle

And I want careful use of language - language that builds community rather than insults individuals.

Unfortunately, I have found on the forums, I often do not get what I want. I have learned an unfortunate lesson - the manners and consideration for others which was instilled in me, what I was taught was Christian behavior is not universally valued.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 12 2013 12:47 PM

MJ. Smith:

I was taught was Christian behavior is not universally valued.

Wink Yes

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 308
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 12 2013 2:21 PM

MJ. Smith:

And I want careful use of language - language that builds community rather than insults individuals.

Yes, so do I, and I'm fed up with the moral brigade always trying to shut down legitimate questions or concerns about the product. I know I've been helped by reading people explaining why things are the way they are. If you are concerned about careful use of language, I shall assume that you are likewise concerned about the unnecessary caricaturing and superior moral tone found in the opening post ('logos whiners and haters'!). If Logos isn't a ministry then we are not parishioners, we are customers, and all of our feedback on the product is important. If the moral police don't like it, then let them go--instead of coming on attacking other forum posters and feeling sorry for themselves. I note that two people have complained about my post, yet neither of you complained about the tone and caricaturing of the opening post which created a thread designed to stir bad feeling towards regular posters.  

Posts 2589
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 12 2013 2:57 PM

Dean053:

Yes, so do I, and I'm fed up with the moral brigade always trying to shut down legitimate questions or concerns about the product. I know I've been helped by reading people explaining why things are the way they are. If you are concerned about careful use of language, I shall assume that you are likewise concerned about the unnecessary caricaturing and superior moral tone found in the opening post ('logos whiners and haters'!). If Logos isn't a ministry then we are not parishioners, we are customers, and all of our feedback on the product is important. If the moral police don't like it, then let them go--instead of coming on attacking other forum posters and feeling sorry for themselves. I note that two people have complained about my post, yet neither of you complained about the tone and caricaturing of the opening post which created a thread designed to stir bad feeling towards regular posters.  

Dean, reading the posts it seems that you were the first to complain. And now you are using provocative language like "self-righteous", "moral police", "caricaturing" etc. And you are judging the motive of the original poster. I don't see how he or any poster on this thread has deserved your diatribe. Maybe you and the OP had some kind of disagreement, but this thread has nothing to do with it.

And now, I suppose I am the third poster to "complain" about your post.

Just who is attacking whom? Just what objective are you trying to achieve, what change are you trying to make? What's your problem, dude?

Even if Logos weren't a Christian company, and should be prepared to accept any criticism ... surely you aren't saying you do not follow Christ, and can write in any way you want?

Posts 308
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 12 2013 3:09 PM

No, the opening post was flaming, simple. Or is it okay to refer to Logos posters as 'whiners and haters' because they hold a different view, or to caricature them? Seems like a double-standard going on here. Flaming is okay, but calling someone up on it isn't.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 12 2013 3:12 PM

I think Dean's problem is that he wasn't aware that judging someone that has just judged someone else is off-limits.

The other thing of course, is that's judging someone's behavior can be ok, just not their motives.  Only in a court of jurisprudence (and the correct country) can 'motive' be judged.

To flesh this second one out a little more, the OP whined about whiners and haters. So one can legally judge that. One simply can not, in a Christian-like way, opine concerning their motives. That's different. Maybe the OP was watching TV and accidentally wrote that. We just don't know for sure. Maybe someone used his computer while he went to the store for milk. It's really hard to say.

This is why most of the problem could be avoided if Logos simply handed out halos as appropriate. Then by carefully observing who didn't get get a halo, they could ban those ones.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 12 2013 3:20 PM

If we find a thread contains offensive content we just keep it alive by adding our $.02 worth complaining.

(Much like I just did. Devil )

Let's give it a rest folks.   

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 2589
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 12 2013 3:22 PM

Dean053:

No, the opening post was flaming, simple. Or is it okay to refer to Logos posters as 'whiners and haters' because they hold a different view, or to caricature them? Seems like a double-standard going on here. Flaming is okay, but calling someone up on it isn't.

In all honesty, if I had to pick out any posts in this thread that would qualify as "flaming", it would be yours, Dean. And your posts would be proof enough that we need some kind of "moral police", to use your terminology.

Posts 308
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 12 2013 3:23 PM

very good DMB, but I think your differentiation fails upon the OPs characterization of those who have offered criticisms as 'haters', which characterizes their motive as hate, which is a strong word, clearly intended to flame and alienate posters on here. I, on the other hand, characterized the content of the post, which quite ironically I should not have had to read on a Logos forum for very reasons he provided. 

Posts 308
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 12 2013 3:23 PM

Lee:

Dean053:

In all honesty, if I had to pick out any posts in this thread that would qualify as "flaming", it would be yours, Dean.

You didn't answer my question. Strange that. The reference to 'moral police' is in relation to people criticizing others on moral grounds for raising criticisms of a product, not a reference to legitimate moderation of flaming posts etc.

Posts 31913
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 12 2013 3:25 PM

Dean053:
yet neither of you complained about the tone and caricaturing of the opening post which created a thread

I distinguish between an abstract group being complained about and attacks against a particular individual or named group.

Dean053:
with the moral brigade always trying to shut down legitimate questions or concerns about the product.

While I have seen this accusation made frequently, I have seen the shutting down of legitimate questions only occasionally. As in a face-to-face community, there are particular people who by reasons of upbringing, culture, age or mental health need to be given a broader leeway than others.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2589
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 12 2013 3:26 PM

Dean053:

You didn't answer my question. Strange that.

Your comprehension of English must be limited if you cannot see the "answer" to your "question". You have my pity. I have reported your post using the Report Abuse feature, and I hope Logos does something about it.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 12 2013 3:28 PM

Actually I agree with you, Dean.

I'm just trying to follow the Christian-like logic for the other posters.  It's really interesting.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 308
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 12 2013 3:29 PM

Lee:

Your comprehension of English must be limited if you cannot see the "answer" to your "question". You have my pity. I have reported your post using the Report Abuse feature, and I hope Logos does something about it.

I merely note that while you were prepared to characterize my post as flaming, you were not so willing to commit yourself to excluding the first post from the same criticism, thus demonstrating the possibility that you are using a double standard. Your insult concerning my comprehension and your reference to pity is just plain silly and far worse than anything you accuse me of. 

Posts 308
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 12 2013 3:30 PM

DMB:

Actually I agree with you, Dean.

I'm just trying to follow the Christian-like logic for the other posters.  It's really interesting.

And I agree that I probably did react OTT on my initial post; but yes, the reaction IS very interesting. 

Posts 308
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 12 2013 3:32 PM

MJ. Smith:

Dean053:
yet neither of you complained about the tone and caricaturing of the opening post which created a thread

I distinguish between an abstract group being complained about and attacks against a particular individual or named group.

Dean053:
with the moral brigade always trying to shut down legitimate questions or concerns about the product.

While I have seen this accusation made frequently, I have seen the shutting down of legitimate questions only occasionally. As in a face-to-face community, there are particular people who by reasons of upbringing, culture, age or mental health need to be given a broader leeway than others.

This is of course getting blown out of all proportion. I will just note that I have noted your characterization of what I said as an 'attack' and his as a 'complaint' and leave it there.

Page 2 of 3 (51 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS