Timed Sales on Home page AFTER SALE OVER

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1395
David Ames | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Feb 13 2013 5:05 AM

Timed Sales on Home page AFTER SALE OVER

Today’s date is February 12 after 7 am on the east coast of the US [or 3 am west coast] the sale is OVER!

Why is it showing up on my home page?  

Or if the sale still shows on my home page can I still take advantage of it? [Please say yes!]

Current Example:

Verbum Blog: Mardi Gras February 7, 2013 By Andrew Jones

[on the Verbum Blog at http://scripturestudysoftware.com/2013/02/07/mardi-gras/]

[[by the way, most, if not all, of that post might interest non Catholics - IMHO – maybe give it a try]]

[[it is intended for a Catholic audience and if you try it and don’t like it – I apologize in advance – as in ‘sorry about that’ it looked good to me but I own a Verbum set and I did say ‘maybe’]]

At the end:

“”Want to deepen your observance of Lent? Save 15% on these resources with coupon code MardiGras13 (expires midnight, February 12), and dive into the Gospels.”” With a few resources listed

[[Yes, this one shows up on Verbum but we had the same “PROBLEM” on Logos 5 with the intro sale showing up for several days after they ended]]

[Looking for the correct email at logos to send this to]

Posts 1011
David J. Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 18 2013 9:04 AM

I also find it quite annoying to have my home page cluttered by special offers that are no longer valid (expired days ago).

Posts 1395
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 18 2013 11:06 AM

This is on the suggestions forum.

No one from Logos has replied thus we must take action!  

The next outdated sale that we see on the home page SHALL result in calls to sales DEMANDING that as it is still on our home page it must be a valid sale.  

If it was not still valid then Logos would not have allowed it to show up on our home page!!!!

[[How many calls will it take for them to fix it???]]   Angry

Posts 5579
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 18 2013 11:35 AM

These are part of their specially designed 'Boy did you goof up!' advertising campagn.

Future adds will include 75% off Anchor Yale Bible (hurry .... the sale will soon be over yesterday!)

And of course the one everyone missed    'Buy every book Logos offers for just 10 cents each!! Don't miss it. Sale ends just about now!

Posts 1399
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 18 2013 1:09 PM

David, I think it's like this: Usually some Logos employee manually removes the previous expired offer in the morning. Then someone collates the most recent data and a new offer is rolled out as todays offer. Because sometimes they get an idea on a short notice and roll out an offer, such as when someone hinted in a discussion about the "LXX day" and somewhat shortly thereafter there was a daily twitter deal on the Göttingen set (which I was quick to decide on btw).

Library ~1,500 incl.print +UBS Handbook NT
No internet. 8GB tablet~400 books. LAPTOPS 1366*768: '09 +SSD trulyergonomic.com, Winter '11/'12 8GB RAM 15.6" '13 hybr disk
Desktops: W7 3G RAM PentiumD 5,400rpm, W2000 Pradis just NIVAC Jn

Posts 7682
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2013 6:29 AM

I don't understand this thread. The home page isn't a notice board for current sales. No one adds or removes items manually. It's just a bunch of RSS feeds (plus some things generated within the software). Once things are posted they stay posted. As new posts are added, the older ones move further right, and eventually they get pushed off the pages altogether, but that's an automatic process. No one 'designs' the home page for you.

If your RSS reader still keeps a post about last year's Christmas sale, you don't expect to still be able to profit from it, just because you can still read it. If you go to Logos' blog, use the search function, and find a post about March Madness 2010, you don't expect the sale to still go on. If you look at Logos' twitter feed and find that a book you wanted was on the Daily Deal last week, you don't expect the coupon code to be still valid. So why would you expect everything on your home page to be the same as it was when it was posted? It's just a bunch of feeds to alert you to what has been posted elsewhere in the last few days. It's up to you to read them in time.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Mini late 2010 8GB RAM 10.6.8

Posts 1395
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2013 8:27 AM

"It's up to you to read them in time."    True!  [[Some one has too much time on their hands - Me - Did not expect it to be taken as a REAL suggestion - sorry]]

"Once things are posted they stay posted"  True!  But in the US we have these laws about Cruel and Unusual punishment.  Old and Out of date sales should be taken down when the sale is over. [in Dave's Ideal World] 

"but that's an automatic process."  These are Logos sales and Logos posts and Logos software that paints them to our Home Page.  Logos COULD block them after the sale [Yes, and if they had to do that they would never have another sale rather then spend the millions or so to block them Big Smile]

"If your RSS reader still keeps a post about last year's Christmas sale, you don't expect to still be able to profit from it, just because you can still read it."   If the RSS feed and the RSS post and the RSS reader are all from the company that has the sale why not? [we can dream]

"If you go to Logos' blog, use the search function, and find a post about March Madness 2010, you don't expect the sale to still go on."   No, that sale has ended - we had to work [search] to find it - just like going to the library and finding last months papers - theyare out of date - the others were pushed onto our home page that SHOULD [imho] only show current stuff!  [if the sale just happens to be deep inside a Blog it is a whoops we forgot to remove that one - but if it is the SUBJECT of the Blog it would be nice if it timed out and was never seen again after the end of the sale. [I did remember to say 'it would be nice if'] ]

"The home page isn't a notice board for current sales"  Why not?   [Sorry for upsetting you - your help in other threads is most useful] 

Posts 6560
Forum MVP
Super.Tramp | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2013 8:37 AM

David Ames:
"Once things are posted they stay posted"  True!  But in the US we have these laws about Cruel and Unusual punishment.  Old and Out of date sales should be taken down when the sale is over. [in Dave's Ideal World] 

That is like waiting 10 days to read your Sunday newspaper. When you do you discover a sale ad (now expired) that you want to take advantage of. You go down to the store and throw a fit when they won't honour the sale price.   The law won't help you now. Time

Posts 1011
David J. Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2013 8:49 AM

More like getting a newspaper every day and finding the same old outdated ads in it...

Posts 1395
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2013 9:04 AM

Super Tramp:

That is like waiting 10 days to read your Sunday newspaper. 

The owner of that Sunday newspaper knowingly waited the ten days.  Your Home page gets printed while you wait.   

[[Am turning in to a 'troll' - end of Dave on this thread [maybe] ]]  [and thanks to another David for back up] 

Posts 210
Into Grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2013 9:05 AM

Logos is responsible for all the advertisement that appears on the home page. If they don't care to remove the links before they expire, it's on them. I'm amazed how many people give this company a free pass.

Posts 6560
Forum MVP
Super.Tramp | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2013 1:37 PM

Into Grace:

Logos is responsible for all the advertisement that appears on the home page. If they don't care to remove the links before they expire, it's on them. I'm amazed how many people give this company a free pass.

I'm amazed how many people refuse to accept personal responsibility for their own lack of action. Big Smile

If Logos wants to advertise after the sale has ended it serves no purpose but to teach slackards to read their homepage more often. Surprise

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS