Generate a bibliography by TITLE, not author...

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 306
Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Feb 16 2013 6:34 AM

... is this possible? I've been looking around but not finding anything.

Thanks! Big Smile

Posts 8837
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 16 2013 6:58 AM

Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell:

... is this possible? I've been looking around but not finding anything.

Thanks! Big Smile

You've piqued my curiosity.  Why would you want to generate a bibliography by title?  Frequently the titles aren't very informative regarding the contents.  Also, you might have three books by the same author in three different locations.  So, what would having a bibliography ordered by title accomplish which would be beneficial?

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 306
Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 16 2013 7:05 AM

Ha, George! You've asked a question that should never be asked of anyone over 40! Simply because I have a lot of books (3905 in Logos plus our rather large personal home library). Sometimes, for the life of me, I can't remember the author's name but I CAN remember the title (and vice versa!). It's just a simple way of having two ways to find information quickly on my iPod when I'm out and about...

Anyone else over 40 having this issue...?! Big Smile Who else here has re-bought a book they already owned?! Cool COME ON, FESS UP! Wink

Posts 8837
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 16 2013 7:58 AM

Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell:
Anyone else over 40 having this issue...?! Big Smile Who else here has re-bought a book they already owned?! Cool COME ON, FESS UP! Wink

You've obviously excluded me from the discussion since I'll only be 39 on my next birthday !  Wink  I'll nevertheless respond.  If you open your library and type in the title (or a part of the title which will identify it, or at least narrow the field), you will find it assuming you have it in your library. 

EDIT:  I'll add an example.

I'm not a Catholic so I disagree with what I consider to be the extreme elevation of Mary so I purchased the recent offering of

Sri, Edward. Queen Mother: A Biblical Theology of Mary’s Queenship. Edited by Hahn, Scott. Steubenville, OH: Emmaus Road Publishing, 2005.

in order to learn the Catholic justification for their position.  I may not remember the exact title, but if I open my library and enter "queen" I am presented with 10 options including this resource.  If I enter "queen mother" the options are narrowed to just this resource.  If I enter "queen" and "mary" I then get 2 resources.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 4971
Forum MVP
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 16 2013 8:11 AM

If you create a bibliography from a collection, the entries are added to the bibliography in Title order.  Just don't click sort in the bibliography window or it will sort by author.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Moving Logos between systems / Detailed Search Help - ThinkPad T520: 2.4GHz i5-2430M, 8GB, 7200RPM HD, integrated video

Posts 3
David Quey | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2013 2:11 PM

Todd, you imply the possibility of getting a bibliography arranged in title and author order. Readers can click "sort" to arrange by author.Then they can download that list in title order. Whether the two lists are seperate or combined, that beats typing the information into a spreadsheet a title at a time. David Quey

Posts 3
David Quey | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2013 2:20 PM

Are you able to verify whether both types of sorts are possible to be combined into one list?  If so, could that information be tagged with a quality (1 = great, 5 = useless) for various topics?  If possible, I will create a spreadsheet for Logos 5 gold resources and create my own topics within the spreadsheet, to evaluate each book.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS