(CP) Jewish Encyclopedia over the top; bid on it before Friday noon

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 27 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 18818
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Feb 19 2013 3:36 PM

Currently priced at $50 but a few more bids will bring it down to $45 or maybe even $40. That's for an excellent 12-volume reference work, important background for understanding the Bible:

Jewish Encyclopedia (12 vols.)

Regular price listed is $349.95, so it is likely to go up significantly after Friday. It'll still be a pre-pub price, but maybe $99 or $129 or something, and then on up after it ships. Pre-order it for the cheapest price it will ever be. Don't miss out!

Posts 382
Sacrifice | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2013 3:40 PM

I'm in. 

Yours In Christ

Posts 9079
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2013 3:47 PM

I'm in too but I'm not holding my breath for a lower price since it took so long just to get to the top.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 18818
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2013 3:53 PM

Bruce Dunning:

I'm in too but I'm not holding my breath for a lower price since it took so long just to get to the top.

There's often a remarkable effect once a resource in CP goes over the top. People who weren't aware of it before, or ignored it because the bid price (which was too high for them) was mentioned in the thread subject line, will jump in, not wanting to miss out. But even if this ends up going for $50 I will be very pleased.

However, the more the merrier. So spread the word on your social networks if you have Jewish or biblical scholar friends.

Posts 27945
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2013 3:59 PM

OK. I bid $40. Can anyone convince me to bid more? (Why do I NEED it)

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 737
Evan Boardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2013 3:59 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Getting it lower when it goes over the top is easier than trying to get a lower price over the top.

Posts 737
Evan Boardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2013 3:59 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Getting it lower when it goes over the top is easier than trying to get a lower price over the top.

Posts 2437
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2013 4:50 PM

alabama24:

OK. I bid $40. Can anyone convince me to bid more? (Why do I NEED it)

""The Jewish Encyclopedia gives a comprehensive, systematized, and succinct account of the Jewish people—their history and literature, social and intellectual life, and their contribution to the world’s history. With over 15,000 articles—including over 1,000 images and illustrations—it covers ethical and religious views, customs, rites, and traditions.""

Bid at a price that gets it at the entry level then spend the next six months investigating it. 

Bid at too low and then, six months from now, discover it is a MUST HAVE and pay more.

[[Alabama24 already knows those rules but they are useful for any one on the edge -  if you are at all interested bid now or pay more latter]] 

Posts 932
David Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2013 7:36 PM

Just increased my original bid from 2011 to make sure I don't miss out. I was hoping this one wouldn't cross the line until tomorrow afternoon and am a little surprised that it already has.

Posts 1844
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 20 2013 6:12 AM

I'd like to say that you could also access the same complete resources on their website.

they're the same exact thing.

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/

Posts 4772
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 20 2013 8:28 AM

If you just want to check it out, sure. But as we all know, that doesn't have the Logos links to relevant resources such as Mishnah and Talmud.

I bid $100 back in the day...worth that and more.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 20 2013 5:09 PM

It is getting close to $45.

Posts 2437
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 20 2013 6:15 PM

mike:

I'd like to say that you could also access the same complete resources on their website.

If you know what you are looking for that is a good place to find it.

But what if you are looking for something and there in the middle of your search are 5 articles' from the Jewish Encyclopedia one of which explains some concept that turns your entire study to a new track. An article that you would not have found except for the power and tagging of Logos?

Posts 4772
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 20 2013 7:25 PM

I think this one could go for $40...if folks jump on now.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 21 2013 1:32 PM

Bump.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 21 2013 4:20 PM

Bump!                      *smile*

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 491
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 21 2013 4:25 PM

Ok I am in.  You have convinced me.  I have a question though regarding community pricing.  My understanding is that if it crosses over the line by Wednesday then the price will be established that Friday.  Am I correct?  Also at what point is the price established?  Could the price on a particular item change on Friday if enough people either bid or increase their bids?

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 21 2013 4:56 PM

Michael Kinch:

Ok I am in.  You have convinced me.  I have a question though regarding community pricing.  My understanding is that if it crosses over the line by Wednesday then the price will be established that Friday.  Am I correct?  Also at what point is the price established?  Could the price on a particular item change on Friday if enough people either bid or increase their bids?

Yes, if more people bid on Friday before noon PST, the price could also drop on Friday.

Posts 451
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 21 2013 5:36 PM

Sorry guys, but I can't justify spending that much for a resource that's already free and searchable online.

Posts 23
Jacky | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 21 2013 6:56 PM

more then 8,000 pages of searchable data within Logos for $50 or less. 

Bump

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS