Att: South Africa - Who is the Logos-guru in SA?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 138
Deon Holtzhausen | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Feb 19 2013 11:00 PM

Hi all.

Sometime earlier I have posted here to ask if Logos in planning a training camp or something like that here in South Africa. I only got replies from South African Logos users indicating that they will be interested in something like this.

Let us do our own training. I now need to find THE Logos "know all" of South Africa. I know we us South Africans are very shy and humble but I need THE guru or gurus in SA to please contact me so that we can start to arrange something like this. I don't have a clue how many SA users there are of Logos but I am sure it can be more than 10. Wink

So, if you think you know enough to teach some very willing students some basics and tricks about Logos over a 1 or 2 day course, please contact me.

Deon Holtzhausen
deon AT joshua2415 DOT co DOT za
Mobile: 082 822 9700
or you can inbox me

I can tell you now that the only costs will be directly for hosting something like this and to pay for the guru's travel. I am in the east of Johannesburg and our Church will be delighted to host something like this. Maybe we can even do a road show to major cities in our lovely country.

If you would like to attend, please send me mail or inbox me with your details. I will need e-mail address, contact telephone number and your town/city.

Let's see if we can have this organised within a couple of months.

Blessings to your all.

Deon

Johannesburg, South Africa

Posts 18818
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2013 11:26 PM

If you find no Logos guru in SA, you could gather together and watch the excellent free Logos tutorial videos by Mark Barnes (http://www.logosbiblesoftwaretraining.com). Or you could pool your money together and buy a copy of the Camp Logos Live DVD set (and Camp Logos 2 Live later when you're ready for it) and watch those and help each other out with Q & A. It's geared towards Logos 4, so it will be missing the new features in Logos 5, but you can pick those up in the What's New in Logos 5 DVD (both this and Camp Logos are by Morris Proctor of MP Seminars, the official trainer for Logos).

EDIT:

You could also do this Google search on Faithlife.com to find more Logos users in SA, and message them via Faithlife (which you automatically have access to by having a Logos account):

Google:  "south africa" site:faithlife.com

Posts 10261
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2013 11:43 PM

Rosie Perera:
message them via Faithlife (which you automatically have access to by having a Logos account)

Really? I thought you need to be in a group together for messaging to work. E.g. the very first google hit is https://faithlife.com/josh-westbury-891580 a Logos employee with a PhD from Stellenbosch (now living in Bellingham, unfortunately) - I don't see the option to message him or reply to the news he has visible.

I don't know if there's a South African Logos User Group on Faithlife, but maybe the request should just posted on My Faithlife for all to see. If the colleagues get Logos on board with their idea, maybe they could get a mail out over a "regional news" list. 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 18818
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2013 11:51 PM

NB.Mick:

Rosie Perera:
message them via Faithlife (which you automatically have access to by having a Logos account)

Really? I thought you need to be in a group together for messaging to work

Oh yes, good point. I was remembering how we used to be able to leave posts for individuals on their forum profile page, but that feature was removed. I thought it had been ported over to Faithlife, but you're right. You have to be in a group with someone. You could search for groups in South Africa that have more than 0 members in them. A number of them are Open and you could join those and then post a message to the group. Unfortunately the group searching feature is pretty lame thus far, though. You can only see one page worth of results, and there's no way to sort them by number of members or anything.

Posts 151
luoar | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 20 2013 12:53 AM

I don't like the word GURU but I could probably do this. I live in Cape Town however and travelling to JHB is out of the question. You guys would have to come to me. An option would be to plan some kind of conference call.

I attended a Logos seminar a few years ago in Stellenbosch where the Greek and Hebrew Professors were gathering for a Logos conference hosted by John Fallahee. These Profs couldn't even do a morphology search, let alone a syntax search! Unfortunately, Logos no longer does these seminars here. In any event, by the end of the seminar, the Profs were at least able to open a few books in their library. As for John, he is a really great guy with loads of talent.

I would like to add that John remains in my mind one of the best teachers of the Logos system out there. Thanks John for all you taught me. 

rari

Posts 64
Robert le Clus | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 20 2013 4:31 AM

Since there was no South African Logos User Group I took the liberty of creating one.  :D

Would this training be Logos 4 or Logos 5 based? 

I have done a few Logos introductory sessions with the Shofar Christian Church Ministry Training Program, but that was a two hour introduction to Logos 4. A couple of sessions would obviously require a little more preparation :)

I might be willing to fly up and do a few sessions as long as my costs are covered!

Robert le Clus

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS