Please Logos Synchronize PBBs.

Page 2 of 5 (89 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 88 Replies | 11 Followers

Posts 649
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 24 2013 6:02 PM

David Ames:
Can that be done on mobile devices?

Apparently what some of us do on the desktop isn't practicable on the mobile devices, irrespective of nanny-behavior on the part of the phone/tablet fathers.

I was perusing the directories on my Android and comparing it with L5 on my Win 8 machine. While the resource files in L5 are in one folder, and presumably, the metadata and other data are likely stored in databases elsewhere,   on the Android each resource has its own folder and within that, various folders/files for the resource itself (which is the same file on both devices) and all the other ancillary data.

However, I suspect that what is not practicable for users could probably be done by Logos.

L5: HP Pav i3 8G RAM W7

Asus Trans Andr 4.1.1

Samsung Gal S Andr 2.3.6 (rooted)

Convert 4 PBs - Pt 2

Posts 2115
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 24 2013 7:06 PM

David Ames:
What is fair use for me on my CPU might get Logos prison terms and large fines just for storing the file even it is encrypted in a way that Logos can not read it. [[what will the jury rule???]]  

Which is exactly why Logos needs to reconsider syncing Personal Books to their servers, and come up with a way that individuals can add /sync their personal books to the app themselves.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 210
Into Grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 24 2013 7:11 PM

Michael Childs:

David Ames:
What is fair use for me on my CPU might get Logos prison terms and large fines just for storing the file even it is encrypted in a way that Logos can not read it. [[what will the jury rule???]]  

Which is exactly why Logos needs to reconsider syncing Personal Books to their servers, and come up with a way that individuals can add /sync their personal books to the app themselves.

Yes

Posts 2199
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 25 2013 9:10 AM

Bump

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 2591
Forum MVP
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 25 2013 9:43 AM

Michael Childs:

David Ames:

Yes, that seems preferable and the system already exists (with marking for download to the mobile devices in Logos 5 Library). If they need much more space on the servers for providing that, they can consider us paying for getting one (and they can even limit it per person for let's say free using, you would pay for an extra space, if needed). That might be a good way to backup our sermons in PB format also. 

Bohuslav

Posts 2199
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 25 2013 4:09 PM

Bump

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 1462
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 25 2013 10:27 PM

There are many applications that allow for the transfer of files into an iDevice (and even less restrictively an android.

For iOS (since thats what I currently have), Just quickly looking at the applications I have instaleld, one can use Dropbox, airshare, evernote, inclass, email and logmein ignition to bring files into the device.

Some of these require interaction with iTunes (evernote?, inclass, airshare?), others allow you to drag and drop files into a folder on your computer, and they sync to your laptop (dropbox et al).

I would think it would be a relatively simple thing for a coder to write an application that does the following: Index the pbb file names on the local device, Compare this list to the other devices on the LAN, and copy across the network any files that individual machines lack, then re-check the lists to ensure there is no redundancy. In this way, if I have a PBB on my cell, that isn't on my ipad, or laptop, then it would propagate out to the other devices (either automatically behind the scenes, or when intentionally triggered by myself).

This is predicated on the idea that each PBB would be given a locally unique file name.

It could/should be tied in to our logos account name/require a pw to be entered on each device like pairing with bluetooth, so that we don't inadvertently pirate things others legally can own.

Logos servers would be kept out of the loop entirely. It would cost us nothing either. Liability is ours, and ours alone (though there should be an AUP we have to agree to when we activate the feature).

IF Logos insists upon using their servers to administer the PBB syncing, perhaps they should explore the use of something like/related to an MD5 hash. In this way, if someone was using a file that had the same hash as one of logos for sale resources, then they could stop the file from syncing out to the other devices. Not sure what would constitute due diligence on their behalf. But if that proved reliable, then it would be worthwhile.

Logos 2 Level 3, Logos 3 (series X) Scholars, Logos 4 Scholars Silver, Logos 5 Platinum, L5 Biblical Languages, L5 Reformed Platinum.
iPad 3, iPhone 5, Octo-core pc with 32gb of ddr3. Bibliolater. Abondservant.com

Posts 2199
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 11:41 AM

Bump

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 2199
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 5:40 PM

Bump

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 2365
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 27 2013 2:55 AM

What a lot of bumps that all need ironing out before anything can happen, hardly a surprise theres nothing official yet..

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 2199
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 27 2013 10:30 AM

DominicM:

What a lot of bumps that all need ironing out before anything can happen, hardly a surprise theres nothing official yet..

I want Logos to respond to this thread,but if Logos is ignoring it intentionally, this makes me to think of  its credibility for all its Promises.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 9663
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 27 2013 11:57 AM

Hi Tes

Tes:
I want Logos to respond to this thread,but if Logos is ignoring it intentionally, this makes me to think of  its credibility for all its Promises.

Or it may be they don't have any more detail to provide than when Bob stated on 2 November last year that it is coming - http://community.logos.com/forums/p/58054/413099.aspx

(Apologies to Bob / Logos if there has been an update since then - I couldn't see one)

Graham

Posts 1014
LogosEmployee
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 27 2013 1:44 PM

Tes:
Logos has promised Synchronization of PBBs on other devices long ago. I don't know why it has taken so long. It would be very nice, so that we may be able to enjoy reading our personal books on our mobile devices as well.

My team is working on it. It has taken so long because there's a lot to do.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Logos Bible Software

Posts 2199
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 27 2013 1:46 PM

David Mitchell:

Tes:
Logos has promised Synchronization of PBBs on other devices long ago. I don't know why it has taken so long. It would be very nice, so that we may be able to enjoy reading our personal books on our mobile devices as well.

Thank you David,can you estimate how long it takes?

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 1014
LogosEmployee
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 27 2013 1:57 PM

Tes:
can you estimate how long it takes?

I cannot—as a developer, I tend to be hopelessly optimistic about how long projects will take, even when I try to control for this optimism. I would not want to inappropriately raise your hopes.

We'll ship it as soon as it's ready.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Logos Bible Software

Posts 3720
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 27 2013 3:50 PM

David Mitchell:

Tes:

Thanks for the update. We appreciate your work.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1462
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 27 2013 10:25 PM

David Mitchell:

Tes:
can you estimate how long it takes?

I cannot—as a developer, I tend to be hopelessly optimistic about how long projects will take, even when I try to control for this optimism. I would not want to inappropriately raise your hopes.

We'll ship it as soon as it's ready.

Thank you for the replies... Can you shed any light on which model you'll use to sync the books?

Will they be distributed through Logos servers?
Will they be distributed using something less centralized that more resembles peer to peer networking (as in my description above)?
Will it be akin to "sideloading" under android (something that can sort of be done through iTunes).
Will it depend on a third party cloud?

sorry, the computer guy in me is curious. :)

Blessings!

Logos 2 Level 3, Logos 3 (series X) Scholars, Logos 4 Scholars Silver, Logos 5 Platinum, L5 Biblical Languages, L5 Reformed Platinum.
iPad 3, iPhone 5, Octo-core pc with 32gb of ddr3. Bibliolater. Abondservant.com

Posts 1482
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 28 2013 4:35 AM

""""sorry, the computer guy in me is curious. :)"""""

Yet another computer guy: Will the same method work for all systems or will we need an Apple way and a Nook way and a Kindle way and an Android way and ...

[[and is that  the major problem why it is taking so long??]]

Posts 1014
LogosEmployee
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 28 2013 2:51 PM

abondservant:
Will they be distributed through Logos servers?

Yes.

abondservant:
Will they be distributed using something less centralized that more resembles peer to peer networking (as in my description above)?

No.

abondservant:
Will it be akin to "sideloading" under android (something that can sort of be done through iTunes).

No.

abondservant:

I'm not sure what you mean here. PBBs will be distributed through Logos-controlled domains.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Logos Bible Software

Posts 15723
Forum MVP
alabama24 | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 28 2013 6:29 PM

David Mitchell:

abondservant:

I'm not sure what you mean here. PBBs will be distributed through Logos-controlled domains.

I think he meant something like Dropbox. It's great to know that it will all be through Logos. SmileYes

OSX 10.9 | iOS 7 | L5 Gold | Mac Logs | Install

Page 2 of 5 (89 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS