Important Change to Rich Text Editor coming in 5.1 Beta for Notes, Clippings, etc.

Page 2 of 2 (39 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 38 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 27
LogosEmployee
Grayson (Logos) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 2:19 PM

Bob Deacon:

And so the question still remains, WHEN?

I can't answer that.  I don't know exactly when and I'm fairly certain I shouldn't say.  I will say that if you're considering switching to stable or making a personal backup, you should do that today.

Posts 1938
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 2:23 PM

Looking forward to this. Will this also help with speed?

Posts 317
Bob Deacon | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 2:32 PM

Grayson, I got it!

Bob Deacon

MacBook Pro, OSX Mountain Lion

Posts 27
LogosEmployee
Grayson (Logos) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 2:57 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:

Looking forward to this. Will this also help with speed?

Our goal for the new editor was to focus on creating a platform in which we can have feature parity across products and have a basis for new features.  While our goal wasn't to outperform the existing editor, we did have a goal of not being slower.  I believe that the performance is acceptable, even on lower end machines.

As a sidenote, working on this revealed some other performance optimizations that have been incorporated in other areas on the Mac platform. Some improvements were minor and some were measurable. The rich text editor may not be noticeably speedier, but some other parts of the application have been improved.

Posts 317
Bob Deacon | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 3:18 PM

I am looking forward to it!

Bob Deacon

MacBook Pro, OSX Mountain Lion

Posts 16410
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 5:36 PM

Grayson:

The rich text editor is used in several places inside the application, not just inside of notes documents.  The notes document is the most obvious, but the improvements will be seen in other areas that accept larger form user input.

Could you be specific e.g clippings? This will help us with testing.

Dave
===

Windows PC, Android phone

Posts 2986
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 7:24 PM

Thanks for the heads up... I've opted back to the stable update channel for this round... am in the middle of a class that's heavily dependent on being able to access notes.

Thanks again for the early alert!

The Grace & Peace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you!
Pastor Bill, Faith Presbyterian Church

W8.1 64bit, Office 2010
i7, 2.40GHz, 1Gb graphics, 8Gb RAM, 7200rpm 750Gb-32Gb hybrid disk
HTC Incredible 2, Droid 2.3.4

Posts 27
LogosEmployee
Grayson (Logos) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 27 2013 9:01 AM

Dave Hooton:

Grayson:

The rich text editor is used in several places inside the application, not just inside of notes documents.  The notes document is the most obvious, but the improvements will be seen in other areas that accept larger form user input.

Could you be specific e.g clippings? This will help us with testing.

From a cursory search, it appears that the new rich text editor is used in the "Notes" sections, Clippings documents, Notes, and workbook resources.
Posts 3522
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 27 2013 9:33 AM

Grayson:

From a cursory search, it appears that the new rich text editor is used in the "Notes" sections, Clippings documents, Notes, and workbook resources.

This is the area I was hoping you were referring to...this will help in the H/G language textbook lessons. Great! Yes

Posts 2944
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 27 2013 4:07 PM

I am sooooooooooo looking forward for this!!!!  I cannot wait to re-import my L3 notes so that I can actually use them in L5 (I lost too much formatting, [tables, colors, ...] embedded images from the web, embedded YouTube videos, ....) !!!!!

Posts 16410
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 28 2013 12:14 AM

tom:
I am sooooooooooo looking forward for this!!!!  I cannot wait to re-import my L3 notes so that I can actually use them in L5 (I lost too much formatting, [tables, colors, ...] embedded images from the web, embedded YouTube videos, ....)

Just hang on, Tom. All is not well with 5.1 B1 ..

Dave
===

Windows PC, Android phone

Posts 4098
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Logos) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 28 2013 7:11 AM

tom:

I am sooooooooooo looking forward for this!!!!  I cannot wait to re-import my L3 notes so that I can actually use them in L5 (I lost too much formatting, [tables, colors, ...] embedded images from the web, embedded YouTube videos, ....) !!!!!

The new notes editor is just a replacement editor for the existing notes format; it doesn't add table editing, embedded images/videos, etc.
Posts 3522
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 28 2013 7:23 AM

Oh...

Indifferent

...well, clearly then you have to go back and start over.

Wink

Posts 8784
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 28 2013 8:42 AM

Dave Hooton:

I agree that the conservative approach would be to test with NEW note files and then only test with existing files you can afford to lose/get corrupt.  I certainly wouldn't be testing if I had many tens of files until at least Beta 2 after letting bunnies like me risk all my notes first!

Did the rabbit survive?  Wink

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 4965
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 28 2013 8:47 AM

George Somsel:
Did the rabbit survive?

Some users lost the links to bible verse references and potentially some formatting (Whyndell Grizzard) but the note texts seem to be there. Don't know if this counts as "crippled but survived"...

running Logos 5.2b Beta 5 (Classic MCs, Verbum Master+, Lutheran Silver) on Acer Extensa 5230E - now modified with 4GB RAM & 250GB SSD - with Win7 Home Premium 32bit & some Android apps on Kindle Fire

Posts 2944
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 1 2013 11:34 AM

Bradley Grainger (Logos):

tom:

The new notes editor is just a replacement editor for the existing notes format; it doesn't add table editing, embedded images/videos, etc.

I was sooooo hoping that the new text editor will also bring with it most of the functions that is on http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-5 (the item that is number one of this list, and has almost double the number of votes of the second item on the list.)

note: I am not hoping for table editing, just be able to read my notes that have tables within them.

Posts 156
LogosEmployee
Alan Palmer (Logos) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 1 2013 12:30 PM

Have you tried the new editor? I believe tables can be read (but not edited).

Posts 156
LogosEmployee
Alan Palmer (Logos) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 1 2013 12:33 PM

Alan Palmer (Logos):

sorry, just saw your other thread.
Posts 2944
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 1 2013 12:41 PM

Alan Palmer (Logos):

Alan Palmer (Logos):

sorry, just saw your other thread.

no problem Alan,

It the script that converts L3 notes to L4/L5 notes is updated for the new format, I have a funny feeling that most of my issues will go away with L4/L5.

Page 2 of 2 (39 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS