R.C. Sproul Digital Library

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 210
Into Grace | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Feb 25 2013 7:19 PM

I purchased the R.C. Sproul digital Library (Logos Library System) new from a major online retailer and am unable to install the software to back up the license to transfer this to my Logos 5 library. I called Logos and they no longer support this software (System requirements: Windows 3.1 or 95/98/2000). My computers have windows 7 and 8 installed.

I can mail this back to the retailer for credit. But, is there another option to get this set into my library? Thanks for your help!

Posts 5013
Forum MVP
Richard DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 25 2013 7:39 PM

Into Grace:

I purchased the R.C. Sproul digital Library (Logos Library System) new from a major online retailer and am unable to install the software to back up the license to transfer this to my Logos 5 library. I called Logos and they no longer support this software (System requirements: Windows 3.1 or 95/98/2000). My computers have windows 7 and 8 installed.

I can mail this back to the retailer for credit. But, is there another option to get this set into my library? Thanks for your help!

You should be able to get Libronix to install on Windows 7. But there are some steps involved. Installing on Windows 8 is problematic.

The following instructions should help you install Libronix on a Win7 or earlier machine:

Before installing Libronix, check out this thread for a patch to make Libronix compatible with IE9: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/30926.aspx

If you have not been able to install Libronix at all install Libronix 3.0g from scratch directly from the Logos web site:
http://www.logos.com/support/downloads/ldls

If you have Libronix installed Update your current version to latest version of LDLS (3.0g)
http://www.logos.com/media/update/30gAutoUpdate.lbxupd

After doing one of the above, install the RC Sproul Library and follow the instructions. After fulling installing, run each of the update scripts below to install the latest patches and fixes.

Update LDLS Addins
http://www.logos.com/media/update/LogosAddinsAutoUpdate.lbxupd 

Update LDLS DataFile types
http://www.logos.com/media/update/DataFilesAutoUpdate.lbxupd 

Update LDLS Resources
http://www.logos.com/media/update/ResourceAutoUpdate.lbxupd 

If that doesn't work, report back.

To get Libronix to run on a Win8 machine, read all of this thread:
http://community.logos.com/forums/t/61297.aspx

If those instructions don't work for you, you may wish to discuss your issues in that thread, as I have not have a Win8 machine.

Help links: WIKI;   Videos; Logos 5 FAQ (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 210
Into Grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 25 2013 7:46 PM

I'll give it a try. Thanks much!

Posts 5013
Forum MVP
Richard DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 25 2013 7:49 PM

Into Grace:

I'll give it a try. Thanks much!

You're welcome.We're all in this together.

Let us know how it turns out.

Posts 210
Into Grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 25 2013 10:30 PM

I installed Libronix 3 on my Windows 7 PC. The Sproul CD will still not run when the "setup" file is activated. How do I get Libronix to scan the DVD drive to detect this library? Thanks.

Posts 5013
Forum MVP
Richard DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 7:10 AM

Into Grace:

I installed Libronix 3 on my Windows 7 PC. The Sproul CD will still not run when the "setup" file is activated. How do I get Libronix to scan the DVD drive to detect this library? Thanks.

Did you run the IE9 patch as explained above?

Did you install Libronix from scratch or update it?

Please start and close Libronix after installing before trying to install the Sproul library (I should have explained this in the steps above).

When you run the Sproul CD, what happens? Even if Libronix 3.0g is installed, setup should run. Have you tried running it manually from Windows Explorer?

Sorry this is being problematic for you.

Posts 173
_ | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 7:53 AM

Into Grace:

To unlock these books, you must first install Logos 2 on a 32 bit version of Windows XP or Vista. Once that is accomplished, you can import your Logos 2 library into Logos 3. Alternatively, you can export your license file in Logos 2 and send an email with the attached license file to customer service. CS will be able to unlock your books on their end for use in Logos 5.

Posts 210
Into Grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 10:30 AM

Richard DeRuiter:

Into Grace:

Did you run the IE9 patch as explained above?

Did you install Libronix from scratch or update it?

Please start and close Libronix after installing before trying to install the Sproul library (I should have explained this in the steps above).

When you run the Sproul CD, what happens? Even if Libronix 3.0g is installed, setup should run. Have you tried running it manually from Windows Explorer?

Sorry this is being problematic for you.

Thanks again for your help. I installed the IE9 patch and now the computer reads from the DVD drive for a while, but does not do anything that I'm aware of. When I open Libronix, it reads from the DVD drive, but has not added the books to the library. I have installed all the patches you mentioned. Now what? Thanks again!

Posts 5013
Forum MVP
Richard DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 10:43 AM

Into Grace:
Thanks again for your help. I installed the IE9 patch and now the computer reads from the DVD drive for a while, but does not do anything that I'm aware of. When I open Libronix, it reads from the DVD drive, but has not added the books to the library. I have installed all the patches you mentioned. Now what? Thanks again!

What the other poster noted, and what I missed, is that what you have is not a copy of the RC Sproul Library for Libronix, but for an earlier, 16bit version of Logos. To install that you need a 16 or 32 bit OS - it will not be able to install on a 64 bit OS.

You may get this to work on Win7 by installing in compatibility mode for XP, 32 bit. I'm not sure.

Your other option would be to install Logos 5 (see here: http://blog.logos.com/2012/11/5-ways-to-move-to-logos-5/ ) and call tech support with the product name and serial number and see if they will unlock it for you to use in Logos5. They may be able to help you, even if you only get the free version. I'd recommend getting a base package, but realize that you may be still evaluating the program. If you'd like to discuss which base package to get, or how to do some of the other options, I'd be happy to give whatever advice I can. In any case, you'd likely be much happier with Logos5 than Logos2 on your systems, as either will run on Win7 or Win8.

Posts 5539
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 11:04 AM

Judging from Into Grace's first entry, he has Logos5, and a Libronix CD? The more recent post suggests a Logos2 CD? If the latter, need an XP computer (repeating the above).

If a Libronix disk, then:

- Does it show in the Libronix library as locked, but available (ie copied over)?

- Re-started Libronix as Richard indicated with CD in drive?

- Clear library buffer and force a re-discover after re-start? Tools > Options > General > Resource Paths > Refresh Resources button.

Posts 167
Mathew Haferkamp | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 11:12 AM

I don't if you tried this or not, but I was talking to a lady from logos in windows help and she told me that if I bought something like that to call in and as long as it was not registered to some else they could just add the license to my account and you could download into logos 5.  I hope this helps

Posts 210
Into Grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 1:06 PM

Thanks for your help. I do have Logos 5. The CD is old and and is a "Logos Library System" version. I think it's 32 bit. It does not have a serial number. I purchased it new.

I'm waiting for a reply from Logos. I emailed them the back up system file. I hope the file reflects this software. Thanks again for your assistance. In Christ!

Posts 1007
David J. Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 3:00 PM

Logos Library System sounds like it is Logos 2 before Libronix/Logos 3 came out, in which case it is 16 bit and can be installed on a 32 bit but not a 64 bit version of Windows.  As I recall this R.C. Sproul Library was first issued before the introduction of serial numbers so it may not need one to unlock the core books on the CD (although there may be additional locked books on the CD).  Rather a complex process to get to Logos 4 or 5 from Logos 2 and best done with a Windows XP computer.  The Logos 2 installation and resources are recognized by Libronix 3 installed on the same computer and you then need to sync the Libronix 3 with the server.  Not something that can be easily managed over the phone by Logos if this is a CD that pre-dates the use of serial numbers.  Can be done with access to an older computer and a lot of patience.  May have to provide Logos with some evidence this is a CD that has not already been "licensed" to another user (difficult to do for CDs made before serial numbers were introduced.  It may indeed be "new" but it is 15 year old technology (remember when Microsoft did not have serial numbers that needed to be validated online, same era). Not a simple process to unlock resources from an older Logos 2 CD but a lot easier than trying to install a "new" Windows NT operating system CD from the same era.

Posts 210
Into Grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 5:17 PM

I will need to find an older computer that runs Windows XP or earlier. Thanks again everyone! Smile

Posts 12700
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2013 7:15 PM

Into Grace:

I will need to find an older computer that runs Windows XP or earlier.

Curious about Windows 7 edition ?  Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate include option to freely download and install Windows XP mode (using Virtual PC).

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS