Translation pet peeve

Page 1 of 9 (161 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 160 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1240
Josh | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Feb 25 2013 8:24 PM

I am absolutely annoyed to no end when Bible translators use the word LORD to translate the tetragrammaton. I fully understand why they do it. I just don't like it. It seems overly impersonal for the name of God.

Exodus 8:30 ESV: So Moses went out from Pharaoh and prayed to the Lord.

Exodus 8:30 NASB: So Moses went out from Pharaoh and made supplication to the Lord.

Thank you Lexham English Bible!

Exodus 8:30 LEB: And Moses went out from Pharaoh and prayed to Yahweh.

Does anyone else have any translation pet peeves?

Posts 1394
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 4:06 AM

Here's one of mine.

God SO loved the world THAT ....  in various versions.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 4:59 AM

Not so much a translation as it is human mis-concption FROM the translation[one of many]:

Lucifer IS NOT another name for satan. Just start at the beginning and not in the middle.......

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 1671
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 6:21 AM

Messiah instead of Christ, specifically when the translator's notes say something like: "This is the word we should really use..."

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 6307
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 6:37 AM

One of the features of my Bible software is the ability to re-write the text. You select one version you like, it makes a copy of that Bible renaming it, and then you can edit the text as needed for issues like these. In my case, I like a literal translation, YLT being decent. But YLT somehow goes crazy periodically as to exactly where he got a choice.

The issue Josh introduces was one of the root differences between the 2nd Temple Judaism and the early Christians who consciously reversed the view of God (coincidentally going back to the Canaanite patterns).

Posts 8835
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 7:19 AM

The problem can be solved by reading the OT in Hebrew/Aramaic and the NT in Greek.  The translation is perfect !!  Wink

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1240
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 4:59 PM

Lee:

Here's one of mine.

God SO loved the world THAT ....  in various versions.

I know! However, this is not the translators fault - this is the publisher unwilling to sell a product with everyone's favorite verse changed. I'm happy the NET went against the grain and translated it "For this is the way God loved the world..."

Posts 222
Justin Cofer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 5:05 PM

George Somsel:

The problem can be solved by reading the OT in Hebrew/Aramaic and the NT in Greek.  The translation is perfect !!  Wink

ναι  Yes

Posts 1514
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 5:48 PM

George Somsel:

If you are going to read the Alexandrian text of the NT don't you also want to read the Alexandrian text of the OT?  So just also use the Greek OT text and stay consistent.  After all if the Alexandrians were right in 300 ad does it not also stand to reason that they were right in 300 bc?  [[The 300 bc Alexandrian OT text no longer exists in Hebrew except for samples found with the Dead Sea Scrolls so it needs to be read in its translation - the LXX Greek]] [There are three NT Greeks - which is perfect?   There are 2 OT texts - one of which was translated into the Greek and is not available in Hebrew - which is perfect?] [[its a trick question]] [[[Still looking for better textbooks - the Andrews set did not help my prior question]]]
Posts 3535
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 5:58 PM

Josh:

Thank you Lexham English Bible!

Exodus 8:30 LEB: And Moses went out from Pharaoh and prayed to Yahweh.

Does anyone else have any translation pet peeves?

A couple...

It chafes me when the waaw is used in Yahweh, but a vaav is used in all other Hebrew words. Why? A little consistency, please. (Waaw is Biblical.)

It chafes me when people use Yahweh, because it's not correct. It's Y'hohwaah, but since few will agree, people should just use YHWH (as I do Angel ) and pronounce as they prefer.

Posts 3535
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 6:03 PM

David Ames:

After all if the Alexandrians were right in 300 ad does it not also stand to reason that they were right in 300 bc?

Uh...NO.

Why would you expect consistency in understanding (based on location) for individuals separated by a distance of 600 years?

Posts 8835
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 6:04 PM

David Paul:

It chafes me when the waaw is used in Yahweh, but a vaav is used in all other Hebrew words. Why? A little consistency, please. (Waaw is Biblical.)

It chafes me when people use Yahweh, because it's not correct. It's Y'hohwaah, but since few will agree, people should just use YHWH (as I do Angel ) and pronounce as they prefer.

Wow!  Only one he.  Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 7:10 PM

ok, so who has finished reading the book 'satan' logos edition l.s. chafer?

Posts 3535
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 7:29 PM

I know my use of "aa" for the Hebrew long "a" bugs you, George, but I use it for a very simple, logical reason. The reason the qaamaats is a long "a" and patthahh is a short "a" is because the qaamaats is pronounced LONGER than patthahh.

Posts 8835
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 7:32 PM

Room4more:

ok, so who has finished reading the book 'satan' logos edition l.s. chafer?

Not I, said the cat.  I haven't even downloaded it.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 8835
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 7:35 PM

David Paul:

I know my use of "aa" for the Hebrew long "a" bugs you, George, but I use it for a very simple, logical reason. The reason the qaamaats is a long "a" and patthahh is a short "a" is because the qaamaats is pronounced LONGER than patthahh.

Yes?  Well, you are about the only one to do so.  Besides, sometimes (in closed unaccented syllables) it isn't even a long "a" but more like a short "o."

george
gfsomsel

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 7:37 PM

George Somsel:

David Paul:

Yes?  Well, you are about the only one to do so.  Besides, sometimes (in closed unaccented syllables) it isn't even a long "a" but more like a short "o."

like:  oo you are soo kool!

Posts 2443
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 8:04 PM

Josh:

I am absolutely annoyed to no end when Bible translators use the word LORD to translate the tetragrammaton. I fully understand why they do it. I just don't like it. It seems overly impersonal for the name of God.

I choose to make visual filters for my translational peeves like this. This way all your translations can say what you want them to..or at least highlight original language words in ways that are helpful to you. You can see my YHWH filter here: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/16999.aspx

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org | hantla.com/blog

Posts 3535
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 9:08 PM

George Somsel:

David Paul:

Yes?  Well, you are about the only one to do so.

Well, call me a trend setter then Geeked ...and I'm quite sure there are many other things related to Scripture where I am "about the only one to do" or teach them. I'm okay with that. Say what you want, but it won't always be that way.

Posts 8835
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 11:16 PM

David Paul:

Well, call me a trend setter then Geeked ...and I'm quite sure there are many other things related to Scripture where I am "about the only one to do" or teach them. I'm okay with that. Say what you want, but it won't always be that way.

You flatter yourself overmuch.

george
gfsomsel

Page 1 of 9 (161 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS