ESV Study Bible

Page 2 of 3 (58 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 57 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 2736
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 24 2009 3:00 PM

Thank you Phil for making this excellent tool available and for making it possible to buy just notes for those of us who have the ESV text already. I really appreciate that. I hope all the graphics and maps will be included. I love those in the paper ESV SB. Have a great day.

Bohuslav

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 24 2009 5:36 PM

Bohuslav Wojnar:
I hope all the graphics and maps will be included. I love those in the paper ESV SB.
It is lised on the pre-pub page, so if it were not included that would be a bit deceptive... so I am sure it is all in there!

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 24 2009 6:04 PM

Quick question for Phil:

ESV Study Bible Notes : Will all references to bible text in the ESVSB notes bring up ESV bible text or our default "preferred Bible" translation.  

It would make more sense if we could be assured it would be ESV text no matter what our prefered Bible setting might currently be. 

DaveJ

Posts 418
davidphillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 24 2009 6:37 PM

I would disagree. It's nice to be able to have access to the notes and be able to see them with any translation. In that sense they act as a commentary, which is great!

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 24 2009 6:46 PM

While comparison of ESV Study notes with a different translation might be nice to do on occasion, it is simple enough to compare passages in different translations: the purpose behind making these Notes available seperately seems more in line with avoiding having to buy a second copy of the ESV text for those who have already invested in a Libronix copy of the ESV text.  Linking the ESV Study Bible Notes with ESV Bible text would seem to be closer to the original purpose of the ESV Study Bible.

Posts 1075
Martin Folley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 24 2009 11:50 PM

Phil:

Is it possible just to clarify,

In use, would there be any actual difference in between using the new ESVSB and using an existing 'plain' ESV plus the study notes?

i.e. Would the links and footnotes etc. appear the same?

From the products page, remove the stuff about the ESV itself and there does not seem to be any clarification about how the integration of notes will work.

Thanks.

Martin.

2010 17" MBP with High Sierra, iPad4 with iOS10.

Posts 2736
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2009 1:35 AM

MartinFolley:

Phil:

In use, would there be any actual difference in between using the new ESVSB and using an existing 'plain' ESV plus the study notes?

From the products page, remove the stuff about the ESV itself and there does not seem to be any clarification about how the integration of notes will work.

Thanks.

Martin.

Good question. I would also like to know if the integration of the study Bible part into the ESV BIble text will be the same with buying just the notes part. If not, I would change my pre-order.

It is true however that in the web based version of the ESV SB (you get with the paper one) there is just regular text with ESV references and notes and the Study Bible is parallely synchronized, not put into the very Bible text. So if the Logos will have it similar way, it would make sense we can use the existing text of ESV. Looking forward to hearing from Logos on that.

Bohuslav

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2009 9:33 AM

MartinFolley:

Phil:

Thanks.

Martin.

Martin,

Up until now, all other study Bibles are treated as commentaries. That is, they are independent texts (that can be linked to a translation). You don't even need to have an ESV to use the study Bible notes.

I would prefer that study Bibles have their own category, rather than be classified as commentaries. Maybe in version 4.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 2736
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2009 9:52 AM

Richard DeRuiter:
I would prefer that study Bibles have their own category, rather than be classified as commentaries. Maybe in version 4.

Agreed.

I like when Logos resource is as close to the paper version as possible in how it looks. That is why I prefer Logos than other BIble software (among other reasons of course).

Bohuslav

Posts 1836
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2009 10:40 AM

David J. Wilson:
It would make more sense if we could be assured it would be ESV text no matter what our prefered Bible setting might currently be. 

Dave, we prefer to leave these decisions with the user rather than forcing them to open a particular version of the Bible. Also, if we hard linked all of the references to the ESV and someone doesn't have the ESV, the links wouldn't open any Bible for them.

Posts 1836
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2009 10:45 AM

MartinFolley:

Martin, the ESV Study Bible simply provides you with two separate resources, the ESV Bible text and the ESV Study Bible Notes. If you already have the ESV Bible text, you simply need to purchase the ESV Study Bible Notes resource to get the full ESVSB experience.

Posts 1075
Martin Folley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2009 1:58 PM

Thanks Phil. Very clear.

2010 17" MBP with High Sierra, iPad4 with iOS10.

Posts 2736
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2009 2:08 PM

Phil Gons:
Martin, the ESV Study Bible simply provides you with two separate resources, the ESV Bible text and the ESV Study Bible Notes. If you already have the ESV Bible text, you simply need to purchase the ESV Study Bible Notes resource to get the full ESVSB experience.

Great, it will work even with my future Czech Bibles Smile

...by the way, do you know Phil if there is anything new about the Czech Bibles?

Bohuslav

Posts 3665
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2009 2:26 PM

It has now moved into the "In Development" stage.

Blessings,

Floyd

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2009 4:33 PM

Floyd Johnson:

It has now moved into the "In Development" stage.

Blessings,

Floyd

That was fast, a lot of people were waiting. At least now Logos gets to tell Crossway “Told ya so...”

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 2
Kris | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 27 2009 6:01 PM

Hi Phil,

Do you have a projected date of completion (and distribution) for the ESV Study Bible notes?  I am quite interested and will probably order on Pre-Pub, but I just wanted to know when it will be available.

Thanks,

Kris

Kris DeBruine
Web Developer | Logos Scholar's Library User
http://www.reliantprohost.com
http://kmd2815.blogspot.com

Posts 232
Genghis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2009 6:38 PM

Thanks BW, I'd just ordered ESV study bible without realising it was available as notes only.  Your warning prompted me to change my order as I already have it through the Scholar's bundle.  Saved 25%.  Every bit counts in this recession.

Tony.

Posts 9
Maniel Leong | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 23 2009 9:32 PM

Anyone know the status of ESV study notes? It have been in pre-pub stage for few months

Posts 273
Brad Fry | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 24 2009 9:15 AM

I just ordered it yesterday so I'm sure that will speed things along!Smile

Posts 1
Josh Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 24 2009 11:58 AM

Is there an update to this? It has been awhile and no joy.

Page 2 of 3 (58 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS